Lumbosacral Laminectomy

Katie turned 6 in August and has had back pain since April. We have spent the spring and summer and early fall seeing a neuro vet monthly and sometimes weekly. He has done every type of testing (multiple MRI series months apart, TBDs both ways, repeated blood tests and exotic lab tests that I'd never heard of, spinal and joint taps) and we have been medicating for comfort and cure of anything bacterial. The first MRI series didn't show enough damage to justify surgery, the second after a crisis a month ago did, but also turned up 'something in her brain' which was either bacterial infection or tumor. The neuro vet did not want to do spinal surgery on a 'dog who could be dead in two months from a brain tumor.'

Her personality, which has always been exceptionally 'slutty' and interactive, has waxed and waned during the past seven months. In the past month, following rounds of heavy duty drugs, her personality has returned 'full force' and I honestly haven't seen her this happy since before the pain started in April. However her rear end is completely unstable, with legs crossing or feet buckling after moving more than 30 feet. and hind end failing her and dropping regularly. I've been carrying her up and down the stairs 6 times a day all summer, and she has been unable to do even short walks for months now. The neuro vet is now willing to do a Lumbosacral laminectomy and I'm thrilled that after all the testing and meds we can finally do something that will help her condition instead of just managing her pain while quality of life suffers.

The surgery will remove the top part of her spine in the affected area and that section of the spine will be replaced with a jelly/foam type of substance to keep the spine from pressing down on her nerves. He will also do a brain biopsy at the same time. The surgery is scheduled for late November, and I have that much time to get my house ready for a dog who needs to be confined to a crate for 8 weeks. I'm used to carrying her, so taking her outside to potty is not an issue, though I do expect accidents. I'm also toying with the idea of using x-pens throughout the house so that she can be confined and kept somewhat quiet when she starts to feel better but can still be 'with us.' I also need to ensure the other dogs don't stress her by getting too close during the early part of the recovery, and wonder if the x-pens will be sufficient. It has been a challenge to keep her stimulated and socialized since her back problems started. I expect, but don't know, that it will be even more challenging to keep her brain stimulated and her body still for the long recovery period.

Has your dog had this surgery or similar back surgery? I'm wondering what to expect in terms of recovery time and set-backs. And also how to keep her stimulated mentally during a long boring period of crate rest. I do have a detailed list of 'how to prepare' from the vet, but nothing quite matches real experience, and the list is to protect her body not her mental state. Thanks for anything you can share about either :)

Cynthia & Katie (who wants to be a normal dog again.)

WOW, that is very intense. I know there is someone on GT who's dog had spine/neck surgery, but I don't recall. I will look to see who is was later today.

MUCH luck, prayers and best wishes for Katie and you.

ETA: It was Sugarmom-- try and speak to her.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks everyone. Robyn, maybe Sugarmom will come along with more advice or I should PM her. I searched on her user name and found some references, and it sounded like her pup recovered very quickly! Anyone else been through this or something similar? I hate suprises and would rather learn the easy way - through other's experience. Thx

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...=acupuncture+vs.

Cynthia, that is the thread I was talking about. See if you can get some info from it. I don;t think Sugar mom has enough posts for a PM, if I hear from her, I will have her get in touch with you. PM me your email address.

Best of luck to you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest vahoundlover

When we had to keep Boss quiet we used chewies and kongs stuffed with kibble, yogurt and p butter and froze it. We also found that when he was confined where he could see what was going on in the house, he was much happier.

Sending many prayers the surgery is a success. Please keep us updated.