Uti

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

When either of my pups has a urine test done.....for Roo they insert a needle into her bladder and for Otis they catheterize him....they say its the preferred way.

Two weeks ago Otis had a UTI and it cost 60.00 for the Office Vist and 70.00 to Cath him and 20 for the culture.....then 65.00 for the antibiotic.

Today a recheck cost 102.00!!! 17.00 office visit recheck 70.00 for the Cath and he rest for the culture.

Is this cost outrageous?

and

whatever happened to bringing in urine in a cup?

Am I living in the dark ages????

Edited by WarmheartedPups

Guest TriciasZoo

I've always brought the sample with me, which meant I didn't even get charged a visit fee, and I've had cheaper anti-biotics, but based on the culture you might have needed a more specific anti-biotic. It does sound like an awful lot for a UTI, at least to me. Here's hoping it's all cleared up after all of that, at least.

Guest Wpgkeith

Riley just got over a UTI this fall... we collected a first thing in the morning sample in a sterile cup from the vets office and brought it in on the way to work. A two day culture to see what grows... $70 bucks later, Bob's your uncle we knew what bug he had and what antibiotics to prescribe.

Three weeks of 2 a day arithomyocin (SP?), a second culture (another $70) and he was fine.

K

We start with the cup. IIRC @ $22 for visit and urinalysis, couple bucks for meds (even the Baytril wasn't much but I could be misremembering).

Zema has had a couple UTIs this year; if she gets another one soon we'll probably do the needle thing. Don't know what my vet charges for that. Sometimes they don't charge me the whole office visit fee because we are, how shall I say, power users of veterinary services .......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.