Am I Being Paranoid?

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

I am fully prepared to accept that I am indeed just paranoid, but anyway.

About a week ago, Jupiter may have ingested some Tylenol. It was one of those things where you turn your back for two minutes and whoa, what have you got there? :unsure He'd poked through my purse and grabbed a bottle, got the top off, and scattered and possibly ate one or two before I came back in. I'm almost 100% sure that he didn't eat more than one or two, as the bottle was mostly empty and I found a lot of pills scattered about, but given the fact that Tylenol is nasty business for a dog, off we went to the e-vet. At midnight.

So he was treated well within the window of exposure (and again, I think it's very likely he did not ingest a harmful dose anyway) and his followup checks have all been clear. But for the past few days he's seemed....off. He doesn't wake me up at 6 AM, which ordinarily would be a good thing, but given that I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to get HIM up over the past year and a half, it's weird. He doesn't protest or try to slink into a corner when he sees the muzzle. He just sits there. He lags behind on walks. He's eating just fine and still gets super enthusiastic when I say the magic words (Are you HUNGRY?????") but otherwise he's lower-key than I have ever seen.

Is this normal given that he just went through a vet ordeal? He was away from us for two whole days. Should I be worrying (more so, I mean)? He has one last followup blood test next week, so I can ask the vet then, but I don't know if this behavior indicates something more serious that he should be seen for right away. And again, I don't know if I'm making something out of nothing.

Whew, another novel! :colgate

Guest KennelMom

He could be picking up on your worry and stress and that's affecting his behavior. When I'm upset and worried, even if I try not to show the dogs, they tend to be very mellow and not their usual selves. It can be a downward spiral...you are a little worried, so they withdraw a little bit out of nervousness/fear (if the pack leader is upset, *surely* they should be too, after all!)...so then you worry more, which makes them worry more and on and on.

I'd take a deep breath. Relax. Be as upbeat and positive as you can (you can't fake it though...dogs can see right through that). After all, you have done all you can do. Let him know life is continuing on as usual.

How old is he? Mine have days of being more lazy then normal :blink: But as long as they are eating well, no vomit or diarrhea I try not to pay too much attention. Zim turned 5 this past May & she sleeps more now than before which is a good thing if you knew Zim :colgate

Edited by zimsmom

Guest jupiterooos

He's four.

Right after I wrote this post I had to rush out the door for an appointment - and Jupiter just laid there on his bed and watched me leave. That has NEVER happened before! So I spent the past hour in my appointment quietly wigging out...then I come home and he's standing on his crate! We've been putting the chairs upside down on the table to keep him off, but he knocked them off and also the stuff off the top of the crate so he could climb up. Why? Why??

Anyway, if he's feeling perky enough to do that....:)

I'm still a bit worried, so I'll be watching him this weekend to see if he gets worse. Now, if he refuses food we are going straight to the e-vet!

He's four.

Right after I wrote this post I had to rush out the door for an appointment - and Jupiter just laid there on his bed and watched me leave. That has NEVER happened before! So I spent the past hour in my appointment quietly wigging out...then I come home and he's standing on his crate! We've been putting the chairs upside down on the table to keep him off, but he knocked them off and also the stuff off the top of the crate so he could climb up. Why? Why??

Anyway, if he's feeling perky enough to do that....:)

I'm still a bit worried, so I'll be watching him this weekend to see if he gets worse. Now, if he refuses food we are going straight to the e-vet!

Ever had bloodwork for thyroid done? The low energy made me think of it, cuz one of my hounds and MYSELF have hypothyroidism! Is he panting or does he have any other stress/pain signs?

Yes, he had his thyroid checked last summer. It was OK.

No other signs of distress whatsoever.

OK...so is he alone without companion animals? He could be bored and slightly depressed from greyhound pack withdrawal! :P:rolleyes:

Seriously, he might need to see and spend a little time with some other greys to get the "spring" back in his step!!