Thank You For Your Help

Guest sonomagirl

Guest sonomagirl

I want to thank everyone who responded to my previous post concerning Red's bad effects with pheno. You reminded me that I can and should trust my instincts and do what is best for my buddy, Red. I feel confident that I have made the right decision for him.

Here's the update: I dropped him back to half the dose and called his doc. (This is the first doctor we saw...not the one who implied I worry too much). She and I are on the same page...Quality of life is important too. He will stay on half dose as long as he is seizure free. This isn't textbook treatment for seizures, but what matters is what works for him. He is showing other signs indicating something more sinister than epilepsy itself...perhaps a brain tumor. ?? He has started pacing and occaisionaly some whining. Something is definitely going on. I'm not sure how long we will have him and I don't want the poor guy sedated to the point I have to poke him to make sure he's still alive. At least on half dose, he is alert and able to get up and walk on his own...even if it is walking in circles. Thanks again for your input.

Glad to be of help....hopefully the lower dose will help to keep his condition under control, if it doesn't you can always ask your vet if you can try him on a combination of Pheno and Potassium Bromide. I also wanted to say that just because at his age (I think you said 7?) is outside the normal "window" for the onset of Idiopathic Epilepsy it doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything else sinister (i.e. tumour) going on, there are always exceptions to the norm and he may just be one of them.

Sending best wishes that Red stays well for a very long time to come.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT