Opinion Please....

I have a friend that has an 11 year old poodle mix, and she has "growths" in the mammary area. Vet wants to take all and then send for biopsy. Why would they not just do the needle biopsy first given the age of this little girl? The growths are not painful. Any thoughts here? WHat would you do given the age of the dog?

Thanks

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

I have a friend that has an 11 year old poodle mix, and she has "growths" in the mammary area. Vet wants to take all and then send for biopsy. Why would they not just do the needle biopsy first given the age of this little girl? The growths are not painful. Any thoughts here? WHat would you do given the age of the dog?

Thanks

Mammary tumours are often aggressively malignant. They can get big quickly and ulcerate, or they can spread. Personally, I'd take mammary tumours out completely as soon as I noticed them. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Even if they are benign... mammary tumors can undergo a malignant transformation and become more aggressive. Our recent senior rescue had mammary tumors removed that were undergoing a "pre-malignant change". The best thign would be to remove them and have them biopsied. Is this an intact female? If not... when was she spayed?

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Just from an owner perspective, I usually don't do the needle biopsy unless there is a reason I would prefer not to remove a growth (bad location, dog frailty, etc.). I just have the vet remove the whole growth and then biopsy if desired.

There are times I might choose *not* to have a biopsy of removed tissue. For example, if growth was bothering the dog but if there is no further treatment that I would give (again, dog frailty, etc.).

I think you would want to do the biopsies in this case, tho -- you want to know if those tumors are malignant and, if so, did the doc get clean margins. Unless the dog has other ailments, 11 is young for a small poodle mix. She could have many good, happy years with her family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Our boys' breeder is dealing with that with their dam. She is now 11, and was 9 or 10 when spayed, so it's assumed tthat the tumors are malignant. Doc (owner and vet) is not planning to biopsy or remove the tumors, as he's afraid they will become much more aggressive.

I don't think I'd do it, honestly, knowing that these things often get worse if messed with...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

If the dog is otherwise healthy, it would be best to just strip them out and be done with it (spay her while they're at it). Depending on how healthy the dog is and how quick the vet is, a dental might be in order, too.

Lynn