Toe Amputation?

Elena was retired from the track for a dislocated toe. Well, a couple days ago she fractured and dislocated the sesamoid bone in that same toe. It's the outside toe on the right front foot. She is completely lame in that leg, and the vet said that without surgery she will probably limp forever. However, with surgery I have two choices.

1. Have a surgeon remove the sesamoid bone.

2. Have the whole toe taken off.

My vet thinks entire toe amputation is the way to go, and I am leaning towards that option since there might still be residual pain from joint damage if only the bone is removed. Before I make the final call, does anyone have experience with toe amputation they can share? Or experience with removing the sesamoid? I have met one greyhound with a missing toe, and she didn't seem to notice. Elena loves to run so much, I just want to make the right choice so she can run pain free.

Thanks!!

DynamoandElenasignature.jpg

Tamara with Aragorn the crazy cat, Fawkes the OTTB, and always missing Elena (Rapido Elena - Rapido Ebony x Quiet Traveler 9/11/02-11/14/12) and Dynamo (Dotties Dynamo - Gable Dodge x Geez Darla 3/27/2001-7/21/2012). I hope doggie heaven is paved with peanut butter and the bunnies are slow. Run free and happy.

Guest brindlebunch

My guy Arthur just had a toe removed - the hair hasn't even grown back yet! He injured it in the back yard and we tried everything to save it. But it just wouldn't heal. He had been limping, hopping and favoring it for months. With no other treatments working, we decided to remove it. It was the inside toe on his right front foot.

It's been two weeks since the stitches have been removed, and he is running around like crazy again! If you didn't look closely at his paw, you would never know it had been done.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie's toe was amputated while she was racing. It is the rear inner toe on her right foot. She doesn't seem to notice. I have seen her limp on occasion, but I think it's from laying in one position too long. It never lasts more than a few seconds, so I don't worry too much about it.

Sorry I can't share any personal experience wit the surgery, but just wanted to say that my amputee does just fine. ;)

We had Missy's toe (middle toe on rear foot) soon after we adopted her. Not knowing much about greys then...my vet suggested removing it due to a growth in between the toes that was very painful. After learning about the different medical conditions that effect greys, I think it was a corn or interdigital cyst. Anyway..no problems at all with the amputation..and zero effect on her lifestyle.

Dixie had a toe removed during her racing career and she continued to race with no issues. She had no issues once she retired either.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest darlene

My Spy lost the outside toe on his left front foot. It doesn't slow him down, or bother him at all. Elena will be fine, but I agree with the vet, take the whole toe.

Guest kaotic1

Jordan had her one of her inside toes on her rear leg removed. She never missed it... she did much better without it. The one thing that won't be any better is getting a discount on her toe nail clippings... The groomers still charge full price. Dang it you should get a one toe discount!! Seriously. I recommend go for it... they don't seem to miss it or even know it's gone.

Jordan had her one of her inside toes on her rear leg removed. She never missed it... she did much better without it. The one thing that won't be any better is getting a discount on her toe nail clippings... The groomers still charge full price. Dang it you should get a one toe discount!! Seriously. I recommend go for it... they don't seem to miss it or even know it's gone.

:nod I keep trying to get that pedicure discount too! :lol Buck had one of his middle (weight bearing) toes amputated while he was racing and he is fine. I wouldn't blink an eye at amputating an outside toe.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I am going to try and get her in soon, she doesn't seem to realize that maybe she should down when she's limping!

DynamoandElenasignature.jpg

Tamara with Aragorn the crazy cat, Fawkes the OTTB, and always missing Elena (Rapido Elena - Rapido Ebony x Quiet Traveler 9/11/02-11/14/12) and Dynamo (Dotties Dynamo - Gable Dodge x Geez Darla 3/27/2001-7/21/2012). I hope doggie heaven is paved with peanut butter and the bunnies are slow. Run free and happy.

I've had 2 greyhounds lose toes, they don't even notice it. Sadie-Grey lost an outside toe...he went ahead & took lymph nodes just in case, negative report.

Brogan lost a middle toe on the front paw...he was out running the day they took the bandage & stitches out...no biggie.