Carrier's Progress

That one horse with the blaze on his/her face appears to be falling in love with Carrier. Who wouldn't?

Sending some extra scritchies for your gallant boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrier Update Feb 20

Just a quick note to let you know that Carrier played with his Lambie today - very exciting news I know :blush

His heart sounds awful - like tennis shoes in a dryer - but it's working fine otherwise, because he told whatever was in the ravine where to go and then ran back to the deck to make sure that it wasn't coming after him. Plus, he practically climbed up my back as I was preparing his dinner. And... he also loved on me like crazy and made sure I had a lot of his face hair all over my shirt :P:wub:

Each day is a blessing...

I just did a marathon, reading all your updates, looking at the pictures in the other thread again, and then reading about the heart crisis.

Whew! I'm wringing with sweat, got my wet hanky handy, and smiling through it all too. You and Carrier are amazing.

:bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Carrier Update Feb 20

Just a quick note to let you know that Carrier played with his Lambie today - very exciting news I know :blush

Correct!! :couchjump

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delayed update and thanks to those of you who were emailing me for news - things have been busy, so I haven't been on the computer... here is the update :)

Tim, me and Carrier drove down to Ohio on Sunday for Carrier's appointment on Monday morning. He was great in the car, but decided to stress the entire night while in the hotel - so we were quite tired when Monday morning rolled around. We dropped him off at 8am and spoke to his oncologist about what the plan was in terms of tests etc for the day. First, we had to assess his heart situation before we even thought of next steps with the cancer, so he was scheduled for a cardio consult, which included a EKG and ECG. The good news is that the mass at the base of his heart has not changed in size since it was discovered in December. It doesn't appear to be affect his heart function either. Unfortunately, his heart is still in atrial fibrillation and it reached 220-240 beats per minute when his stress level went up - which was when they were doing the tests. When he wasn't being evaluated, his heart beat was recorded at 156 bpm. Which is still on the high end of normal. OSU believes that the chemo drug that he received at the beginning of his treatment is the cause of his heart problems. They have put him on a drug that should stabilize his rhythm - so we have to take his heart rate twice a day and make sure that he is getting the right dose...too much of the drug would slow his heart too much, so this is why we are on heart beat duty. Although, they did start him off at a low dose... so he should be okay. He is also having a in-house blood pressure and heart rate check next Saturday to make sure that his heart is doing okay on the meds.

In regards to the cancer and the possibility of another chemo treatment as scheduled...OSU recommended not giving him another chemo treatment and we agreed. They did speak to us about giving him a chemo drug (pill form) every couple of days that would inhibit the growth of new blood vessels which feed any tumors - such as the one in his heart... but we also decided that Carrier had enough potent pharm drugs in his system . Plus, there isn't any evidence of this drug works like the other chemo treatments, so we weren't going to take a chance.

The other reason we decided that we didn't want to continue on daily chemo was because Carrier's exam to assess if the cancer had spread was GREAT!!!! His lungs are complete CLEAR!!! and there isn't any evidence of the osteo anywhere else in his body! This is really, really great as we are approaching the 4 month mark since his amputation. Sadly, we met a man and his Rottie at OSU who had the amputation only 5 weeks ago and the cancer had already spread to her lungs. It's so sad and we know that this could happen at any moment, but we are so grateful that Carrier has been doing well (aside from this crappy heart thing)!

Next steps for Carrier include having his heart checked on a monthly basis at home (beating okay etc.) and a follow up chest xray in 3 months at OSU.

Overall, he is good. He won't be going for 45 minute runs at Pinehurst anymore, but we will make sure that he still gets out and walks around at his own pace. In fact, last Sunday he went out the park for 30 minutes and did really well. He is learning to listen to the changes in his body and will slow down or stop if he feels he is getting to excited. He is continuing with his Chiro adjustments, and we have added Reiki to the mix. Which seemed to make him really comfortable. Over the last few days he has been running in the yard and barking at "bad" things in ravine. He makes sure that he does a Roo with the others at least twice a day and he is eating really well.

Today I was reminded that we are in a leap year... one extra day that we normally wouldn't have... so, one extra day with our dear Carrier.

Guest Machbragal

Thank you for the update -- he is in my daily prayers. This is really good news. Every day, every day is a gift. You are doing a wonderful job of showing this boy how much he is loved!!

Guest HeatherDemps

Thanks for the update- have been wondering how Carrier's doing. :) So glad to hear that there are no signs of the osteo and hope that it continues this way for a LONG time!!

Aww Carrier, that's a good mix of news.

Every day is a gift, it's true. We forget that it's always so, but if there's any positive about Cancer, it's this: we remember the gift of every day with those we love.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

One extra day is always good :)

I'm really glad that things in general are good and I'm delighted to hear about his clear lungs :D

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :couchjump

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest grey_dreams

Eva, sorry to hear that Carrier's heart still has some difficulties. But I'm really glad to hear that there is no change in the mass at his heart! And YAY that his lungs are clear! :yay It's wonderful that he is learning to adjust his exercise to the changes in his body. And with his roo'ing, playing with Lammie, and clearing out the baddies in the ravine, it sounds like his spirit is unchanged. :colgate All good thoughts with Carrier, you and Tim.

Carrier Update March 3

Carrier seemed restless for the last few nights and we thought it was maybe the new heart med (Diltiazem) he was on. Well yesterday we got the answer...

after what we thought was the drugs making him uncomfortable, we realized what it really was.

Carrier had Reiki on Wednesday night - she pointed out that he had sore spots at the base of his neck, mid back and his back left leg near the hock was bugging him. So I took this information to his chiro on Friday and indeed he was sore in those spots. Except for his hock, which is actually a skin issue we are dealing with - lick granuloma. But it's hot and sore and he is bothered by it - we are getting cream for it tomorrow.

Carrier felt great on Friday evening and on Saturday he roo'd a million times, barked his face off at all the things moving in the ravine and played with his lambie a few times and even did the figure eight head shake with Lambie in his mouth and ran in the yard and.... actually bounded towards Bailey to play.

All of this made for a very sore Carrier. On Sunday morning, he went out for a pee and barked again like mad... and within minutes after coming in, he was in major pain. at 11am he was crying in pain and couldn't get comfy. So we rushed him to his chiro as we noticed his neck was super stiff and the pain was obviously traveling down his back. He literally ran to the car - I am sure he knew where we were taking him. The chiro said it was like his head wasn't screwed on right. The bones at the base of his neck were seized. She was able to sort him out and he came home and slept for 4 hours comfortably. But then, he got up and again started to cry in serious pain. We got in touch with his oncologist to confirm if we could give him tramadol with all his heart meds. The answer was yes. And then we also spoke to his local vet and he said to try and wait to see how he does once the tramadol kicked in. That was the longest hour! Carrier finally settled and we were able to put a heating pad on his sore spots. He managed to eat his dinner spread over a few portions throughout the night and we gave him another tramadol before bedtime. Surprisingly, he had an uneventful night and a normal morning. I know he is still in a little bit of pain, so we are continuing with tramadol, and another adjustment tonight and another reiki session on Thursday.

With all that is going on with him, we are so scared when something else happens... one more thing, could be the last thing. But thankfully, we had his heart problems a month ago and he was able to recover from that, so I hope this too is just a small hiccup in his journey.

Today he's much better - tried to bark outside, but I quickly distracted him with treats and then he decide to "disobey" me and Roo his heart out when he came in - bugger! God love him... I spoke with his Reiki master this morning and she connected (animal communication) with and told him to chill out and not over do it when he starts feeling great.

On another note, we did an animal communicator session with his first reiki session - it was really amazing and informative. She said that Carrier is astounded by everything we have done for him... needless to say, my eyes weren't dry during that session.

Carrier! Do not disobey your Mummy!! Get properly well very soon :wub:

Guest Machbragal

Wow. You are going through so much. You know you and Carrier are in my daily prayers. This is a VERY special dog.

Carrier Update March 5

Carrier is doing well :) he is still attempting to stress me out by barking his heart out outside ... but maybe he's on to me, because I distract him with treats when he does this. ummmm.....

I picked up some Traumeel and rubbed it into his joints on legs - he was sitting up while I was doing this and actually fell asleep to the point where his eyelids dropped at the bottom and then finally rolled over on his side.... I massaged his legs, neck and back for about 20 minutes... can you say spoiled?!!!! He has been getting this over the last few days and seems to really enjoy it.

Today he jumped for his breakie, roo'd with dad before he left for work, slept the morning away, ran out to bark at something, came in and begged for his mid afternoon snack, then ran out again and did a lap around the house, dug a massive hole in the snow - peed and then ran back to the house...... whew!.... came bounding into the house and played with Lambie and then rubbed his sweet head all over me with load groans and now is patiently waiting for his dinner.. I have 8 eyes staring at me as I type this... best be off to feed the sweethearts... Just wanted to let you know that today, and yesterday were good days for our dear Carrier. Tomorrow is Reiki at 10:30 and then a jaunt down to the park to get some fresh air. he's sweet.

Edited by LadyBailey

Whew! Carrier, you sound like you've got it down. Bark and roo, and mom gives you treats! What a deal! :D

Fabulous, how well he's doing! LOVE to read good news on this forum!!! :confetti

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg