Carrier's Progress

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrier Update Jan 22

Carrier continues to do well... extremely well actually. I would say that he is 100% back to his normal self. Although, I think there is a happy drug in that chemo or something....he plays so much more than he ever has, runs like the wind and doesn't sleep as much as he would in the past. It's amazing. His zest for life is definitely there. He is very interested in everything we do and and is always in the middle of things... whether it be while we are bringing in groceries, cooking in the kitchen or just hanging out. Carrier use to be a fairly independent dog - he would sleep in another room as the rest of us would be together. We always invited him to join us, but he was quite happy sleeping alone - but now, he sleeps as close to us as possible when we are all sitting in front of the fire watching tv or just hanging out. His affection has sky rocketed and he is always loving on us. It's so wonderful to see him happy and enjoying life. We knew that we were "buying time" when we amputated and we would be lucky if it was quality time... I am confident that we are giving him that quality time.

We are off to OSU tonight for his 5th chemo treatment. One more after that and then we hold our breathe. Tim and I are going together, so I don't have to manage Carrier, the weather and the roads alone. Please send good thoughts for a good day tomorrow for Carrier. I will let you know how we do when we return.

eva

Guest vahoundlover

It thrills me to hear how well Carrier is doing :yay

Sending prayers for a good trip!

Edited by vahoundlover

Guest grey_dreams

I just read all the recent updates. How amazing! Carrier is doing so incredibly well! He looks awesome running on the trails! You've done such a great job helping him along, and he has gone through such a remarkable recovery! Go Carrier! :yay :yay :wub:

Guest multiplicity

Wow Eva, he looks greyt in those pics!

I am soooo happy to hear things are going well for him (and you).

Good luck tomorrow! Drive safe!

Carrier Update Jan 25

Carrier had his 5th chemo (2nd Carbo) treatment on Wednesday. His white blood count was low, which was to be expected but his red blood count was really low. Which is a little concerning, but both Dr Couto and Dr Hosoya said not to worry about it right now, since overall clinically he is doing really well. He was put on Bactrim, an antibiotic, to combat any infection since his WBC is low.

Dr Couto was on clinic duty so he gave Carrier his exam and had a good look at him. He was really pleased with how he was doing and noted that Carrier seemed a lot calmer and really comfortable. Dr Couto has such a gift when it comes to making you feel absolutely calm about something so scary like cancer. We reviewed the latest finding of the mass in his heart base and Dr Couto told us not to worry about because his guess is that he has had that for some time and it's really not doing anything to him right now - so let's not dwell on it. Carrier is going to have another echo next visit, so we can think about it then.

Julia the vet student that cared for Carrier during his surgery also came by to say hello - it was nice to see her again... I am sure Carrier enjoyed his visit with her too:)

His appointment was fairly quick and Dr Couto was able to get him done and out the door by 10:15am, so off we went and made it back at 4:15pm.

He was fairly tired when we came home and slept the night away. He was a little nausea throughout the night, so I stayed with him and gave him metoclopramid - which helped.

On Thurs. morning he didn't want to get out of bed for a pee or to eat. I took him temp and it was 102.7. Which made me nervous because I didn't know if it was a reaction to the Bactrim or the Carbo. The side effects of the Bactrim is really scary and that was something I did ask about before we left OSU. Dr Hosoya felt that he was still okay, as long as he didn't go over 103.5. Carrier decided around 11 that he was hungry and needed to empty his bladder - so that was a good sign because he get out and managed to eat his breakie. I monitored his temp through the day and last night he was down to 101.7. He went for an adjustment this morning - reluctantly - but in the end felt good. He is sleeping comfortably since we got back. He had a few ribs out of place and I noticed his chest muscles trembling over the last few days, so I figured that his neck was out of whack too - which it was. He showed the chiro his grumpy face (lip curled - teeth showing) :lol when she straightened his neck out, but happily took a treat after that :). I have been giving him half hour massages every day, but he desperately needed the adjustment.

I have also switched his food to Orijen - all four are on this now - and they all really like it.

He is doing really well, but like the others, he is getting cabin fever - it's been so cold here, so walking is not a pleasure. I hope this weekend things warm up because he and the others need a walk.

Good job sweetheart. You are so brave! Keep up the good work. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

What good hands Carrier is in---at OSU and at home!

Continued good thoughts for an uneventful treatment and recovery.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Carrier Update Jan 30

I am a day early... but I am so excited that I am going to say it anyway .... IT' BEEN THREE MONTHS!!! since Carrier had his surgery and he continues to do well. As you know he enjoys his long walks on the trails so I have been taking every opportunity to take him and the others. And I am pleased to say that Carrier has hit another milestone in this journey... he has turned his one hour walks into 45 minute runs. mama mia - I am on the verge of a heart attack and he's barely panting. We had a really nice warm day on Monday, +5 so they didn't even need their coats, so off we went to Pinehurst. Carrier ran the entire way. I got this photo of him while I was catching my breath.

Look closely on the ground and you will see a snow angel right behind Carrier... I know that he has many angels watching down on him...

Photo_012808_003.jpg

Edited by LadyBailey

Carrier - you're a very good boy :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• 3 weeks later...

Carrier Update Feb 19

Well as most of you saw the horrible post about Carrier being in ICU, it's been a tough few weeks. His heart is still in atrial fibrillation - he is on Enapril and Lasix. We got his blood work from last week and it looks good - WBC and RBC are up, which is good. Everything else is normal. We are forwarding all his info from the E-Vet to OSU and are planning on making a trip to OSU next week for a complete work up and possibly one more chemo treatment, depending on what we are dealing with.

He is much better today - stronger and more active. He sleeps comfortably and participates in everything the other dogs are doing - whether it be watching for dad to come home, or beg for veggies in the kitchen. He even roo'd. He is back to being very loving, which makes my heart melt. I had to go away for the night and when he saw me in the yard when I came home, he ran over to me with such joy - :wub:

His appetite is insane and he is always jumping for his food as I am preparing it. So these are all good signs. We are scared that something else - something bad is going on... I can't say it right now, but we have talked about it. We remind ourselves that he is sick and he is going to have problems at times... we just hope that they are hiccups and we can help he through it. Everyone here and on Circle of Grey and our friends and family have been unbelievably supportive. This has helped us so much. We love Carrier so much and we have never given up on him and we try to provide the best possible care for him and this is what keeps us strong, because I now know that he knows this... he is so special.

I took these photos on February 4th but never got a chance to post them. These horses live behind Carrier's Chiropractor. He loves seeing them and this time I had my phone with me, so I was sure to get pics.

Enjoy and thank you for everything.

Carrier with the horses and Cherrio the goat.

Photo_020408_002.jpg

Getting up close and personal

Photo_020408_003.jpg

Photo_020408_004.jpg

I wonder what the horse was whispering :lol

Photo_020408_005.jpg

Edited by LadyBailey

Glad to get your update. I keep thinking of Carrier - he's always in my thoughts. He is just such an inspiration. It IS a good sign that he's eating and interested in food. I think you're doing an AMAZING job Eva, really amazing. Love the pics with the horses.

Hoping things improve with his heart... sending hugs and hope. :bighug :bighug

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

OMG...such beautiful pictures. Carrier...you are one special boy sweetheart. :grouphug Keep up the fight honey. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Machbragal

I've been keeping Carrier in my daily prayers. He's just been an amazing, amazing dog, no matter what adversity he encounters. How blessed you all are to have him in your lives! Know that we are all praying for your family.

You are such a love Carrier, No matter the future, today sure is good.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

The eating and rooing and running sound very good to me :)

Those photographs with the horses are just gorgeous :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!