Carrier's Progress

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrier Update January 4

Carrier had his Carboplatin treatment on Jan 2 and everything went well. He was mildly nauseous a few hours afterwards, but overall was completely fine. He also had an adjustment earlier that day, which he needed as a few days before that we went on a walk and he ran pretty much the whole way. It's amazing how he can do it. I was actually stopping because I was cramping and Tim reminded me that Carrier, who only had three legs was able to run longer than me... I reminded him that I only had two legs :lol

We had a quiet New Years Eve - just me and Tim with the dogs and that was just what we wanted. The dogs slept in front of the fire and we enjoyed some nice wine. It's hard not to think if we are going to have Carrier with us next year at this time... so we are making sure to make the best of every day we have now. I am so grateful that I am able to be with him during this time.

I have posted some new pics of him here.

Carrier's Progress Pics

We say that if he wasn't missing his leg and we knew that he had cancer, one would never guess that he was sick. :wub:

Carrier update Jan 9 - with some pics.

Took some photos on a walk so I wanted to share. Carrier is doing really well. We haven't seen an negative differences in him since we got the news of the murmur and mass on his heart, which is really good because truthfully, we haven't even thought about it.

With the complete thaw of all that snow that we were bounding through over the holidays and the appearance of grass, Carrier has found a new speed - super fast. We went to Pinehurst on Saturday and Monday and again yesterday and he ran the whole way - all three times we were out for almost an hour. His muscles are massive!

We met some off leash retrievers on one walk and Carrier was standing so tall against them, saying, "I may have three legs, but I can still beat you buddy!" It was great to see him acting totally normal... able to stand up for himself and be confident. He loves his walks even more now we believe because he has the freedom... Andy and Ella on the other hand watch with envy. Ella's hunting instinct and Andy's skittish nature is a recipe for disaster off leash, so we don't even bother, even if it is fenced. Although, I did take them out to Pinehurst yesterday and we saw two deer and about a dozen squirrels... thankfully they were on leash, but I nearly lost my arms chasing after all the wildlife.

Anyway, here are some photos of Carrier taken yesterday.

Photo_010808_001.jpg

Photo_010808_009.jpg

Edited by LadyBailey

It's so great to see him looking happy and active! He's got such a strong spirit to live well. Blessings to you for giving him that chance. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh Sweetheart...so handsome...so brave. Keep up the good work honey. :grouphug:wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

How wonderful to see him, happy and enjoying life. You've done such a good job---and so has he. He's an inspiration!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

He certainly looks happy and healthy!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Vinnie

Still swooning over here :wub: :wub: He is absolutely beautiful and confident - and looks like he is Loving Life! We understand all the underlying worry and taking each day as a gift was the only way we got through everything with our Angel Vinnie :angelwings . Glad Carrier is feeling well enough to show the rest of the furkids what the true meaning of "fast greyhound" really is! Hope he has many more New Years to celebrate with you. Sending scritches and continued healing prayers your way. Happy New Year to you all.

Carrier Update Jan 9 - Part two :colgate

we just got back from another walk - this time Carrier and Bailey saw the deer. Carrier went bonkers - he loves, loves, loves seeing them. We just went to a local park in town, called Lions Park that has great trails a big hill that over looks the entire town of Paris. In my siggy, the photos of Bailey and Carrier are taken on that hill. We climb it today chasing the deer... we call it Mount Paris and Carrier ran up it without any problem. Forget being 10 years old, living with osteo, having something on his heart, and only having three legs... you can't stop this boy! He has more energy now, than he ever did... or maybe it is his will to live that is driving him - either way, he is an inspiration. He didn't want to get in the car, but wanted to climb Mount Paris again! he's my personal trainer -(but we didn't do it again, I am too tired) :lol

Photo_010908_001.jpg

He looks fabulous :beatheart

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Kpparker

Awesome Carrier! What an inspiration you are for life after cancer for doggies and humans too :) Tell mummy to keep posting pictures.

He looks great, Eva. I'm so glad he's feeling well and having good times.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Carrier Update Jan 11 please ignore the quality of the walk pics - they are from my phone :)

Went for another walk today at Pinehurst and we did the green trail. All the trails are colour coded - yellow, green, red. Green seems to actually be the hardest because it's the most hilly, while red is just the furthest and of course yellow is easy peasy. ;)

Here is a pic of one of the hills on the green trail.

Photo_011108_001copy.jpg

Here he comes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photo_011108_002copy.jpg

And here he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photo_011108_005copy.jpg

Yeah :yay :yay

He is in really good spirits these last few days - playing, eating like crazy, jumping for his dinner as I prepare it and very affectionate. I love him. :wub

DSCN4393.jpg

Edited by LadyBailey

Carrier Update Jan 16

I can't believe that only three months ago I was posting his diagnosis... how far we have come in those three months. I have also just read all 13 pages of the original topic "Carrier's Diagnosis" and I want to thank you all again for all your support, kinda words, advice and most of all prayers. All of you have helped us though this. I don't know what it is with Greyhound people, but we are special... if I don't say so myself :lol... must be because our dogs are special :rolleyes:

As we have gone through this journey we have noticed things that Carrier can do the same on three legs as he did on four, but we also took note of things he couldn't really do with three legs.

These things included:

#1 digging a big hole with his front paws to make sure he pees on a fresh patch of grass/dirt

#2 holding a chew bone in his front paws and

#3 trancing. Carrier was a master trancer and so smooth going round and round the palm plant - every leaf caressing his back. With his front leg missing, that grace was missing. The other day I was contemplating going out and buying a feather so I could simulate a trance, but that felt and sounded kinda weird to me :lol

But.... I am please to announce that he has scratched off 2 of these items from the list!!!!

#1 the little bugger can dig just like before.... with one front leg he manages to dig a nice hole to pee in. How nice for Carrier... not so nice for the yard :lol He comes in with chucks of grass in his toes. It will be nice to have snow again.

And #2

....This is huge.... for the first time in months... probably 4 months, HE TRANCED! :yay :yay

He just shoved his head in the plant and moved back and forth - completely enjoying it.

As for #3.. we are still working on this, but for now I am the designated "bone holder" for him.

The BEAR IS BACK! (bear is his nickname :) )