Carrier's Progress

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awwww, sweet Carrier - you are such a good, strong, brave boy. And your momma is doing pretty good too! Have a safe trip home, you guys (no more transports!!). I hope it continues to got well... :grouphug

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Eva, you drive carefully and just stay put if the weather is bad, OK? World won't come to an end if you're a day late here or there.

Sending hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LolasMom

Sounds like you both are doing amazingly well. Hugs and kisses to Carrier and have a safe trip home. :kiss2

Edited by LolasMom

Carrier Update Nov 15

We got home safe and sound yesterday afternoon - he was so good in the car, sleeping on his side for most of the ride.

He ate most of his dinner - but did leave some kibble. We had a restful night but Carrier woke at 6 and wanted to go out. Before he got to the door he puked. But it was a grass sausage. He had been taking the opportunity to eat grass when he could of the last few days. I was thinking... hmmm... I haven't seen any of this grass in his poop, so I wasn't surprized when I saw it come out the other way. he has done this in the past, so I am not too worried at the moment. He did go out and take a pee and had a perfect poop and then went back to bed. We woke up again at 7 to feed them breakie. I tried the kibble (Canidae), but he didn't want any, so I opened a can of Merrick French County Cafe - Duck. He liked this, but only ate the meat and didn't want any of the veggies. So he has only had one can of soft food this morning. I decided to give him one of the pills that we got from OSU for vomiting, nausea and decreased appetite (metoclopramide) just in case... even though I don't know if he vomited just because of the grass or because the chemo is starting to effect him. I also took his temp - 100.2 - so he is good.

I am going to do some research on other food for him and have Tim get some at lunch time to see if Carrier will eat anything else... I can see him becoming a connoisseur of fine things :lol

Anyway, he is sleeping right now - fingers crossed that he remains stable over the next few days.

Carrier Update Nov 16

As suspected, he is becoming picky with his food - so his cuteness was bought a variety of food yesterday and had a healthy taste test. We got Evo, Nature's Variety Natural Instinct and three varieties of canned food. He liked all of it. This morning he had a cup of the Natural Instinct with half a can of soft food - we tired giving it to him out of a ceramic bowl and he ate his entire breakie. Not sure if it was the bowl or the food - but no matter because he ate it. He hasn't been sick and his poop is still perfect, so we hope that he will be clear of any side effects but they could start this weekend. I have been taking his temp and all is good there too.

Yesterday, Andy started a Roo - which is totally unlike him, he has never done this before - and Carrier joined in. So things are slowly getting back to normal around the Andrews home. Carrier is walking really well and getting up and down the stairs without problems. We have a half acre, and yesterday he walked around the entire property almost twice! His fur is starting to grow in so fuzzy too. He is still wearing his doggy tee as he is stil interested in cleaning around the incision. I did take it off this morning to look at it and also clean a little under a small flap of skin to make sure nothing was going on under there. Carrier helped of course ... it amazing how strong he can be when you are trying to push is head in the other direction - little bugger.

Today the sun is shining, although it's cool. I am going to take him for a car ride and a little walk on one of his favourite trails - even if it's for 5 minutes one way and back again - I think he'll enjoy being out of the house - as will I. :lol

Carrier's Walk Update Nov 16

quick note as I have to take Bailey and Andy for their walk now...

I took Ella and Carrier for a short walk. I didn't have enough hands to also take the camera - so sorry, no pics - will get some this weekend.

I took them to Carrier's fav trail. He isn't on a leash, as I find it's to difficult for him to keep a consistent pace when his collar and leash are banging up in his face. Plus, it's not like he's going to run away too quickly :lol

Anyway, I thought we were going for a short 10 minute walk - Carrier decided that we were going for a 15 minute run!!! It was 30 minutes by the time we got back to the car. Ella and I were actually jogging after him. And when I stopped him to turn him around to head back to the car, he started whining and resisting... but then ran all the way back - with a few stops in between of course to catch his breath and mark some trees. It was so amazing to see him so happy - ears up, eyes bright and just so full of life. He was ready to go further, but I had to explain to him that we needed to do this gradually - he disagrees. He was panting a bit, but caught his breath really quickly. He is now sleeping soundly :wub:

ps - today is one month that Carrier was diagnosed - who would have thought that he would be walking today like he is... I am so proud of him.

Edited by LadyBailey

Posted in the other thread :blush Want to make sure Winslow's message is delivered!

Hey Carrier,

First, leave the grass alone. Your people will get upset if you keep vomiting. You need to keep down whatever you can, so cut the cow act.

Now is the best time for you to get table food. Your people will be so happy to have you eat that they will feed you anything! Try some eggs, boiled chicken, ground turkey, and whatever they are eating. You now have carte blanche at the food bowl, buddy, ENJOY! Have you ever had a Burpdog Biscuit? They are heavenly!

When you are done with the chemo, you will probably have different food.. I do and I love the new stuff. Make sure you try everything. Trust me, your people will keep trying until they make you happy. If you want to know what I'm eating, it's in my diary, but I didn't get a lot of supplements until after my chemo. My mom believes that anti oxidants aren't good with chemo. During my chemo, I got anything I wanted and I was picky!

Those barf pills you have are really good. I took one an hour before eating, the food stayed down a lot better. I took them for about 5 days after each chemo. I never puked.

Laser treatments and massage helped me a lot after my amp. A lot of people say acupuncture does too, but I never tried it. Remember to get some exercise, but don't overdo it. You need plenty of sleep, too... (you are still a greyhound).

It's a long road, buddy, but you're gonna be just fine. Some things will be different, but we're adaptable, strong, brave AND SPOILED.

Next time you're in Ohio, give Dr. Couto a big wet nose from me!

Butt sniffs,

Winslow

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest MorganKonaAlex
... Anyway, I thought we were going for a short 10 minute walk - Carrier decided that we were going for a 15 minute run!!!

I learned the hard way that I can't catch a 3-legged dog if he doesn't want to be caught. Morgan took off into the woods on me one day. It was like chasing a kangaroo.

I know what you mean about the leash clasp banging them in the face though. Home Depot sells plastic clasps.

Posted in the other thread :blush Want to make sure Winslow's message is delivered!

Hey Carrier,

First, leave the grass alone. Your people will get upset if you keep vomiting. You need to keep down whatever you can, so cut the cow act.

Now is the best time for you to get table food. Your people will be so happy to have you eat that they will feed you anything! Try some eggs, boiled chicken, ground turkey, and whatever they are eating. You now have carte blanche at the food bowl, buddy, ENJOY! Have you ever had a Burpdog Biscuit? They are heavenly!

When you are done with the chemo, you will probably have different food.. I do and I love the new stuff. Make sure you try everything. Trust me, your people will keep trying until they make you happy. If you want to know what I'm eating, it's in my diary, but I didn't get a lot of supplements until after my chemo. My mom believes that anti oxidants aren't good with chemo. During my chemo, I got anything I wanted and I was picky!

Those barf pills you have are really good. I took one an hour before eating, the food stayed down a lot better. I took them for about 5 days after each chemo. I never puked.

Laser treatments and massage helped me a lot after my amp. A lot of people say acupuncture does too, but I never tried it. Remember to get some exercise, but don't overdo it. You need plenty of sleep, too... (you are still a greyhound).

It's a long road, buddy, but you're gonna be just fine. Some things will be different, but we're adaptable, strong, brave AND SPOILED.

Next time you're in Ohio, give Dr. Couto a big wet nose from me!

Butt sniffs,

Winslow

Hi ya Winslow,

I have heard so much about you from my mom - well really she talks about you to dad. she says, "earmuffs Carrier" and then tells my dad things about you ... all I hear are words like "god" "freakin" "cute" - not sure what they are saying but I would bet it's nice.

I stopped eating grass, my mom has been giving me the pills that they gave her for my upset tummy like you were getting before your meals and things have been good. I have had Burpdogs once, but that was a long time ago - I do remember them being really good - I am sure I can get my mom to get me some more.

Unfortunately, my parents don't eat any of the food that you are talking about - they are someting called veeguns. What?!!! Thank god they haven't made us one of those things. The only thing we can eat now from them is veggies - I like veggies, but come people, I just lost my leg. Anyway, I am pretty sure my mom and dad will give me whatever it takes for me to eat and feel good. They went out and bought a bunch of kibbles - freezer dryer something - I don't know exactly, but it's good and now I eat it all up ... well, I do make sure my mom puts lots of soft food in ... and I have her preparing my meals in a ceramic bowl - stainless is so budget.:lol

I will make sure my mom reads your diary again to find the food you are eating. And make sure that she doesn't slip me any holistic supplements until after the chemo is done. Gosh, imagine if she started shoving these things into tofu - yuk!

I did go for a walk today and mom said I couldn't do what I wanted because I "wasn't ready" - I feel ready - but I know that she knows best - so I listened. I know she loves me like crazy. Thanks for the motivation and support buddy... I'll be sure to give Dr Couto sniff!

Later,

Carrier

Edited by LadyBailey

Carrier Update Nov 20

Carrier is good, but I think he is bored of me. I have literally been by his side since he was diagnosed :lol so I am trying to stimulate him outside of the home. On Friday he went for his walk, then on Saturday I took him to the farm to see the Alpaca's, donkey's and wooly bully bulls. He was pretty excited, but I could tell that he was a little sore, so we only walked a very short distance and then went back home again. On Sunday Tim and I took Bailey and Carrier to the pinetree trail - will post photos in the thread "Carrier's Progress Photos". He was running again, which was great to see. I did a short walk with him, while Tim took Bailey for the full trail circuit - they made it back at the same time we did .. okay, we are a little slower than those two :lol

Then we took Ella and Andy for their walk and by mid afternoon, we were all pooped.

Carrier is eating well and it's been one week since his first chemo and he had no ill effects - thank god!

He went for an adjustment yesterday - had a few minor things out of place, but overall was good. He seems more comfortable today from that. Plus, he was happy to see another human other than me. And he loves his car rides - he runs out and stands by the car and whines and pushes it with his nose.. stinker!

Afterward his adjustment, I took him to the vet for a weigh in. He lost 11 pounds since Oct 16. I figure the leg was about 4 pounds, so I am going to try to get back about 3 -4 pounds on him. He looks good, but I want to make sure he doesn't lose anymore weight.

Overall though, I think we are doing well. He is wagging his tail and getting up with the others when ever they do, so that's a good sign to know that he is alert and willing to interact with them. He is also still very cute, with makes things even better :colgate

Edited by LadyBailey

Carrier Update Nov 26

Well, so far, so good. Carrier is slowly coming back to the dog he was and it's wonderful to see. He is eating amazing and running around like crazy. He is fast on three legs mama mia! He loves his walks and I can tell that he is enjoying living again without major pain. We are still trying to figure out if he is having some minor pain that is causing him some discomfort, but I can't tell if it's pain or him just being a pain in my butt :lol

he did see the vet last week as I noticed that his incision ws oosing a little bit, so we had that checked out and were told to clean it with saline and spray it will some dermi spray stuff - can't remember the name. It looks good now and he seems to be more comfortable. It's really strange in the night time still - around 2pm he will get so anxious for about a half hour and then just go back to sleep. He was on metacam last week to see if he did have pain that was causing this - but it didn't seem to stop. i had to take him off it last night, as the doctors told me he had to be clean of metacam for the chemo.. and so far he seems fine without it. He has his 2nd chemo tomorrow morning, so I will be sure to tell them about everything tomorrow.

he is doing great and we are so proud of him. be sure to check out how cute he is in his progress pics ;)

It is SO GOOD to hear he is doing well.

Off to go look at those pictures. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Carrier Update Nov 28 Chemo #2

Carrier did really well during his chemo #2 session. All looks and sounds good. He was done at 3:30, so we left Ohio right away to come home. It was so sweet when he walked out to the waiting room... he comes through the doors all wild and tail wagging looking for me. By the time he spots me the whole waiting room has a smile on their face. He's so sweet. He slept most of the way home and ate his dinner without problem at one of the rest stops. We got in a 10pm and hit the sack. This morning he ate without problem too. The vet did put him on gabapentin as we suspect he is having phantom pains. So we will see over the next few days if that helps. His incision isn't oozing anymore either. So all is good with sweet Carrier :wub: