Carrier's Progress

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, this is all just so amazing! I'm so happy for you and Carrier!! keep up the good work, sweetie :yay :yay

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Great :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Carrier Update Nov 7th

Carrier continues to improve everyday. He is eating really well, although, he doesn't like to eat his meal in one fail swoop. It's hard for him to stand for long periods, but he is determinded to walk over to his bowl when dinner is being prepared - so we let him, and when he is showing signs of not wanting to be there anymore, we let him take a seat and feed him from the comfort of his bed. He was great on the stairs the first night, but now is hesitant and is looking for our help. So we are helping - of course :blush

His incision is healing well and he is slowly starting to sleep longer intervals throughout the night - which is good for him and us :).

He hasn't taken a fall yet either - which is pretty good. He gets his staples out next week and his first round of chemo - so we will be back in Ohio next week. Touch wood, we have been really lucky with him these past few days and have noticed a great improvment in him. He is now doing his biz outside and then walking over to us for a lean and rub. I have so many photos, but we are on dial up so it takes me forever to load - but I promise I will have them up soon.

We love him :blush

Edit to add: he continues to sleep on both sides and when he gets really comfy, he groans so hard and nestles his sweet head into the pillow - it's really cute.

Edited by LadyBailey

It sounds like he's doing really well :D

Looking forward to the pictures!

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Carrier Update Nov 10

Aside from being really tired - I am also really happy... Carrier continues to do well. Although, we did have a little incident a couple of days ago. Here's what happened....

We have a cream called Variton, a prescription from our local vet, that tastes awful and we have used in the past when the dogs want to lick themselves to death when the have a scrape or something. It has worked brilliantly in the past and we have never had a problem... until this week. I applied it very, very sparingly just around the staples, because of course Carrier started to show interest in them. Well, he actually started to lick the cream like crazy and we couldn't deter him, so we put on a t-shirt. A few hours afterwards, he became really, really restless and panting like crazy and his heart was going a mile a minute. I was pretty worried, so I called OSU to see if there was any chance that he was reacting to the drugs that he was on post amputation. Not even thinking at time of the variton. They told me to keep an eye on him and if anything got worse to take him to the e-vet. Well, Thursday night was very tough, although he didn't get worse, he just couldn't settle. Then it hit me at 4 in the morning... the variton! He was licking the variton right off his skin and ingesting it. In the past we have never applied it to his skin, it's always been on his fur. So now that it was on his skin - it really irritated him, so he was licking like crazy and ingesting it which made him sick. I called Dr Couto to confirm if indeed this could be the case and he did a quick internet search and he read this to me:

SIDE EFFECTS

Possible local reactions are listed in a decreasing order of occurrence and include: burning, stinging, irritation, tingling and new local rash.

Rare systemic side effects of this topical preparation may include dry mouth, thirst, dry eyes, urinary retention, restlessness, excitation, nervousness, decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, and an irregular or fast heartbeat.

HELLO! I wanted to cry that I did this to him - I did cry, because I felt so awful. Dr C told me it would be out of his system - albeit it was a small amount - within 48 hours.

Today we have noticed a big improvement - he is way more settled but is still panting quite a bit when he gets up, but is fine once he is down again.

My parents came over last night and he got up to see who was at the door, and wagged his tail!

Then today, he went out for a pee, came back in, but realized that the others were still outside, so he turned around and wanted out again. So I let him out and then he started wagging his tail a little - I whispered, "Do you want to roo?" Tail wagging a little more... "Roo?" And off he went ...standing on the back porch with his backup rooers below him. It was almost like he was telling the world - "I'm here baby and I'm gonna make sure you hear it!" It was awesome. :wub:

We leave for OSU on Monday, for Chemo on Tuesday. I hope he still loves me after we cross the boarder :lol

awww, that brought tears to my eyes...good boy, Carrier :yay keep up the good work!!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest grey_dreams

Oh, I'm so happy to hear that Carrier is doing so well! :yay With that roo he does seem like a pretty tough guy announcing his return! I'm hoping as hard as I can that the chemo goes very well and he will soon be his usual bouncy and sweet self. :hope Have a safe trip back to OSU on Monday!

Eva, about 5 days after Darcy's amp, we also had an incident with wild licking and racing heart and panting etc and I'd *not* applied anything to Darcy. She was just very very irritated by the hair starting to come back through and she had a little bit of a 'shaving rash' from where they'd clipped her and we too had to put a call into the vets (we actually went to the vet as it's close by and her temp was up a little and she got an antibiotic jab) but basically what I'm saying is that even if you'd not put that tiny bit of creme on Carrier, he too may have been licking and panting and irritated the same way Darcy was at around the same(ish) time.

I'm glad he's feeling much more back to normal now though :D

PS Where are our pictures please woman?!

Carrier Update Nov 11

We noticed that Carrier was really panting since Friday, so I wasn't sure if he was in pain and wasn't getting a high enough dose of Tramadol or if it was the tramadol that was bothering him. We took him off the tramadol, his panting slowed a little but I could still tell that he wasn't right. Spoke to Dr Couto and he thought that maybe Carrier was experiencing anxiety. So we gave him some valium to see if it would calm him... well, wouldn't you know it - it worked. On Sunday afternoon, he slept really well, woke up walked all the way to the back door and down the stairs, did his biz and then he walked up the stairs all by himself. This was a first! And then he ate his dinner with the others - without stopping! He has been eating away from them, because he didn't seem comfortable eating near them - we were also handing feeding him. But when he walked into the kitchen and wanted to eat with them - I was so happy. He is still on valium, which is probably good, since we leave in a few hours to go to OSU. His first chemo is tomorrow. Please send him good wishes for tomorrow - he is not going to be happy going back there, even though he was totally spoiled there ;)

Guest Kpparker

Good luck with chemo tomorrow!

Im so glad to read that Carrier is doing well. Keep up the good work buddy..... and tell ur mummy we want pictures.. dial up schmial up woman!

dial up schmial up woman!

It's true - you don't know my pain :lol It's tough enough to even log onto GT, let alone download Carrier pics - that are so huge because his massive cuteness overloads them.

I will get tim to download them when we get back - promise ;)

And for a little update...

We got here at 8:45 in the rain. At one point in time, I honestly feared for our lives. I actually said, "Oh my god we are going to die!" I was passing a transport truck - and the backsplash made it impossible for me to see, but I had no choice to just push ahead past it - at one time, I honestly thought I was turning into it - ugh, my heart dropped. Other than that we made it okay. Carrier knew what was going on, so he was restless last night. Up every couple of hours.And then he wanted to get into bed with me - but I could lift him and I didn't want him to jump up - he still has his staples (get them out today).... so... I grabbed my blanket and pillow and slept with him on the floor - I see a pattern here.. hmmm.. did this last time as well, little bugger. Anyway, he ate his breakie at 6:30 and then at 7:30 we went to OSU - of course, Mister Charmer had everyone stopping in the hallways to pet him. His tail going bonkers. When he saw Dr Couto, he had a helicopter tail! :colgate

I just got a call from the vet student - his physical exam is good - lungs sound clear and strong. Thank god! He should be done at 3:30 ish today. Depending on how he is doing tonight, we will stay here again or try to drive home - if it's not raining... I have precious cargo you know :wub:

will let you know how he does.

Edited by LadyBailey

Great news...he's an awesome pup. Have a safe journey home Eva and continued good wishes.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Carrier Update Nov 13 ~ 1st Chemo Treatment

We are still in Columbus, as I am too tired to drive and Carrier is tired as well. So I thought it would be safer to leave tomorrow morning. He is passed out on his pillow here as I type this. He ate his dinner, burped, cleaned and rolled on his side... poor boy had a stressful day.

Today Carrier had his first chemo treatment and staples removed. Everything went well - his physical exam was good - everything looks and sounds great... which is a good platform to build on --- oh, he just wagged his tail in his sleep - he he he, too cute... anyway, it's good that he is feeling well, especially now with the chemo in his system. He came out wagging his tail and of course looked straight at the parking lot... too bad it's under construction and we were parked out by the large animal clinic ... he wasn't thrilled about walking that far, probably because he thought I was trying to fool him... but... as we turned the corner, he saw two horses walking around! He stood so still with his floppy ears a high as they could be - still being floppy of course! He loves animals, last time he saw a Llama - that was funny.

We will hit the road tomorrow - hopefully there won't be any traffic or weather systems. We both can't wait to be home.

Safe trip Eva. I'll call you on the weekend (finally) let me know the best time.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.