Do I Look Stupid?

Guest AlmondJoy

Guest nerak254

Comments from any pharmacists are welcome. Today I stopped at the Walgreen's near where I was and went to the pharmacy to be dead certain that the ointment the vet gave to Aruba wouldn't be a problem for me. I am allergic to both sulfa and neosporin and everything it's in. She must have not been having the best day because she asked me if I was sure I was allergic...yes, I wear a medic alert bracelet! She finally said that she "thought" I'd be ok and couldn't I just wear gloves if there was something in it that turned out to be a problem. I guess I could, but what if Aruba rubbed her face on something that I touched and I didn't know she had?

That was the second time I'd asked a Walgreen pharmacy a question about something that could be a problem for me and getting the message that my question was inconvenient. I guess trying to be proactive isn't appreciated.

Edited by nerak254

Two thoughts -- First, find another pharmacy. Second, have your vet make a notation on your dog's chart about your allergies. This way, he can prescribe something else for Aruba next time.

Guest nerak254

I have already decided that Walgreen's is not the spot for me. They should be as aware as I am about what would happen if I came in contact with neosporin and not be aggravated because I asked. I also asked someone once what the antibiotic is on the treated band-aids, that pharmacist told me he had no idea. :eek

You had a great idea about having the vet make a note, I hadn't ever thought about it until yesterday. I had asked about Bactraban, because it is something I can use , for boo boo's and stuff and know that's ok, but never thought about the eye ointment issue.

Good grief .. I think I would write a polite letter to the head of the pharmacy department and make them aware of your concerns and how you were treated. :(

I have the same issues. I am allergic to many antibiotics and also wear a Medic Alert bracelet. My vet is very sensitive to these concerns and reminds me of safe handling procedures if ever my dogs need penicillin based tabs etc. Even my pet food store knows I have severe fish allergies and takes that seriously - but I do go to a small independent shop. Wouldn't get that at PetsMart! :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop