My Dog Is A Mutant

Guest BooMooandDoo

Guest BooMooandDoo

About a month or two ago Mazie got a really ugly eye cyst on her lower eyelid of her right eye.

mazieeye2.jpg

We treated it with eye antibiotics, had it aspirated, and after 2 weeks of fooling with it, we put her on oral antibiotics. . and it finally went away.

Two days ago I noticed that she was losing hair above her left eye. I've been watching it and it kept getting bigger. It started looking just like the other eye cyst so I took her to the vet. He's stumped. He decided not to monkey around with it, and the vet put her on oral antibiotics.

The weirdest part is. . . .

Different eye, different lid. . . .

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas of what could be causing this?

These pics are REALLY BAD. . . but notice the hair loss and swelling

mazieeyetake2c.jpg

mazieeyetake2b.jpg

mazieeyetake2.jpg

Ditto what MaryJo said, and maybe we'll run into you at the vet. Fenway needs to go in for his annual exam, and for his goopy/red eye. Dr. Fisher gets to see lots of gross greyhound eyes this week!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest BooMooandDoo
Ditto what MaryJo said, and maybe we'll run into you at the vet. Fenway needs to go in for his annual exam, and for his goopy/red eye. Dr. Fisher gets to see lots of gross greyhound eyes this week!

He's a good guy. .. . . and he isn't scared to admit he has no clue. . . . .gotta love honesty in a Dr.

If you're both having dogs with problems, could it be something environmental? This new owie on Mazie seems (from the pics anyway) a little bit different. Allergies maybe? Has she been messing with it?

Hope everyone feels better soon!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest BooMooandDoo
If you're both having dogs with problems, could it be something environmental? This new owie on Mazie seems (from the pics anyway) a little bit different. Allergies maybe? Has she been messing with it?

Hope everyone feels better soon!

They're two different things. . Fenway's eye is red and irritated. . Mazie has a cyst on her eyelid, but her eyeball and third eyelid are fine. I wish it was environmental though!

Her eye is the same. . .just not as far progressed. We waited a lot longer to take her in last time. . . .. cause we weren't sure what was going on.

We still have no clue. . . .

I just want some answers. . . .

To bad she can't talk.

When I was a teenager I used to get a LOT of styes in my eyes. (I did not intentionally rhyme that!) They were so very painful and they came so often. I eventually outgrew that tendency and have not had any more. Is this cyst similar to a sty?

Carol Ann

A sty (sometimes spelled stye) is a tender, painful red bump located at the base of an eyelash or on, inside, or under the eyelid. The medical term for a sty is hordeolum.

A sty results from an acute infection of the oil glands of the eyelid (meibomian glands) that occurs after these glands have become clogged. A sty also may arise from an infected hair follicle at the base of an eyelash. The bacterium Staphylococcus aureus is responsible for 90-95% of cases of styes. A sty can develop as a complication of blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelid).

The term external hordeolum has been used to refer to a sty that develops at the base of an eyelash involving a hair follicle of the eyelid, whereas the term internal hordeolum refers to a sty arising due to blocked meibomian glands in the eyelid.

A sty is sometimes confused with a chalazion (see below), which is a cyst or a specific type of scarring (chronic inflammation) arising in the meibomian glands of the eyelid. In contrast to a sty, a chalazion is usually painless. For more about chalazia, please read the Chalazion article.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.