Holy Dandruff!

Guest greyhounder

Guest greyhounder

I've had my gorgeous, black foster boy, Nash for about three months now.. He's always been sleek and shiny with minimal dandruff..

He's going on a home visit to meet a prospective new Monmmy Sunday.. I talked with her at length last night and told her that his black coat is so beautiful, sleek and shiny..

Today, out of the blue, he has MEGA MASSIVE dandruff! It's horrible! What could cause a dog to get dandruffy in one day?

I just brushed him out with a slicker brush (gently) to loosen it up and gave him a bath with EFA shampoo and cream rinse..

Is there anything I can do to clear this up by Sunday? Also, what could have caused this sudden dandruff holocaust?

Guest greyhounder

HE's not stressed.. Today is just like every other day.. I noticed it when I woke up and wiped him off with a wet rag.. 10 minutes later it was back and that's when I knew something was not right..

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Google search Duoxo Seborrhea shampoo and Calm shampoo. The Calm is the same as the Seborreah but has some xtra additives in it to make it for allergic reactions, etc. I use this on my black show Saluki before I show. If I don't bathe them two weeks prior to the show, their coats will dull and they get terrible dandruff... since starting on this shampoo, I can bathe them the day of the show and they look BEAUTIFUL. This is the best shampoo for dogs with skin allergies, dry skin, dandruff, hot spots, etc... the Seborrhea spot-on is the best stuff for hot spots too, and it acts as a "medicated shampoo" with out even bathing them to boot.

I can't offer any ideas on why it came on so suddenly, but on tip that I can offer when bathing is to use the zoomgroom brush - it really gets a nice lather and also exfoliates. We have a black girl who had dandruff issues - it was seboreha (sp?) and we used a medicated shampoo from the vet with zoom groom and she has been shiney for over three months now - and we saw instant results with the zoom groom too when used in the bath.

Did he have late summer (ragweed) allergies? (itchy skin? the coat can still be beautiful even when itchy)

Most of my girls have ragweed allergies. We just had a frost and the allergies are gone, but during that time (and you had to look hard), they had tiny pimples and a reddish rash. Now at this time of year, the dandruff starts. Always after the allergies disappear.

He's three months off the track? If so, this is NORMAL. He is going through a normal coat change, associated with getting onto a diet with less protien, which usually creates for a less sleek, shiny coat than on the average pet. This usually happens within about 6 months of retirement, so the timing sounds right.

You can try supplements, if you'd like to hurry this process along, but it's probably not neccessary. When bathing, the Zoom Groom is a greyt idea, along with a very good shampoo (designed for dogs, not humans) that also has conditioners in it. You can also use a creme rinse (leave it on the dog for at least 5 minutes, after massaging it into the skin), and follow-up with a leave-on moisturizing spray (liberally applied, then massaged into the skin).

My favorite line of dog shampoos and conditioners is Nature's Specialties, which is tough to locate, but GREYT quality. I like the Plum Silky shampoo, followed by the Aloe Remoisturizing conditioner, and the Quicker Slicker spray.

Oh, and for a quick fix, often used by show people to prevent the inevitable flakes from recent bathing: a 50/50 mix of water and apple cider vinegar sprayed on, and massaged in. Then brush as normal.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greyhounder
Did he have late summer (ragweed) allergies? (itchy skin? the coat can still be beautiful even when itchy)

Most of my girls have ragweed allergies. We just had a frost and the allergies are gone, but during that time (and you had to look hard), they had tiny pimples and a reddish rash. Now at this time of year, the dandruff starts. Always after the allergies disappear.

No itching.. I'm at a loss.. Now that I scrubbed him with the slicker brush and bathed him he seems batter.. still a little bit but not copious amounts like earlier today..