Itchy Excema Type Patch On Tummy

Guest Amber

Oscar over the past few days has developed a baldy patch on his tummy, that has little red lumps on it, looks like excema? He is licking it a bit and it seems itchy.

I will take him to the vet about it - he doesn't normally have any skin problems or baldness, although he does gets warts sometimes and also has a big wart near this area.

He is fed on Nature Diet and some raw, but I have been 'supplementing' with a bit of dried food (goes into his kong and treat ball) and it seems to have started up when I bought a bag of Burgess Supasensitive. He was on this dried food for years before with no problems but....

Anyone else had this sort of problem?

Doesn't look like the photos I just looked up of ringworm - it's a scaly rash, but not in ring shapes, just little lumps, but as there is a wart present, maybe it is something to do with that? He had a couple of warts surgically removed years ago - apparently surgery is only option for warts in dogs - but I wouldn't want to put him under at 10yrs old just for a wart removal (it is not bleeding and doesn't look infected at present). If he has to go under for another reason in the future, they could remove the wart then.

Oh well, see what vet has to say about it.

Edited by Amber

Guest whatahound

Nikki has a similar problem. Her's always shows up in the same spot. It has happened on and off for several years. She's had many trips to the vet for it with little to no improvement. She had a skin scrap and it was negitive. We've used different kinds of creams and sprays. I have found that if I wash that area with warm water and dial soap it helps as much as anything. I try to do it once a week.

Good luck, hope you find the cause.

Guest greytmonty

Whatever it is it may have gotten infected from his scratching, and if so, that makes it more itchy! Ask your vet to do a scraping to look for infection.

Sterling has this pimply-looking rash on his belly. Its right where his belly touches the floor, rug, bed etc. when he lays down. Your boy may have something like this, scratched at it and now is itchy from the scratching or an infection. Have the vet check it out.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Vet just thought it was contact dermatitis from something that has irritated his skin, and gave me some cream. Didn't suggest a scrape at this point, but I will also treat him with Advantix anti-mite stuff, just in case!! Though she didn't think it was mange and my other dog is OK so unlikely!

They can pick the mange mite up just from walking in places with long grass where foxes have been, apparently.