Scotland Calling ...

Guest Eric_Kiltie

Guest screamingswifts

Hi Eric - Welcome and what a lovely girl :colgate

I too live nr Aberdeen, just north of ellon :wave - where abouts roughly are you? I got my first grey, Frida, about 3 months ago, and am totally in love with her, they are such wonderful dogs :wub: Did you get her via gagah?

Take care and maybe see you on the beaches !!

Tanya

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eric_Kiltie

Aye aye Tanya, fit like?

We're near Banchory so the other side of town from you.

Saying that, I have a plan for a trip to Balmedie on a weekend day in the next few weeks. When I figure out when it's going to be, I'll let you know so you have the option of joining us if you're free (best to PM you here?).

My plan is to give her a wee run and I want to take some video with a bullet camera set up which I'll place in the sand so she runs directly over it.

We went to Aberdeen beach last Friday. I purposefully went to the harbour end where there's a good stretch without any groynes (the timber structures to combat long shore drift).

Now, from where we parked to the Fittie end, I guess is about half a mile. She spotted a spaniel playing in the water at the other end ... started walking ... I call her ... she started trotting ... I call her a wee bit louder ... and then POW!!!!! ... she's off!!!

She's just mental for playing with other dogs at the moment and I try to be vigilant but obviously failed this time. Anyway, a few scary moments until I caught her and got her back on the lead and I was a bit stressed by the whole episode so decided to go straight back to the car.

On the way back, I was looking at her tracks. Where she's been running full pelt, the prints were deep in the wet sand. Where she'd been walking / trotting, they were light and hardly visible.

Between the two, there was a clear transition ... and here it is.

DSC00046.jpg

(apologies for the quality - taken on a mobile phone)

I'm amazed at how knackered she gets just with, say, one short burst a day. Yesterday, my wife, Steph, had a good session with her and tennis ball (she actually retrieves! ... well almost). We were actually worried about her a wee bit in the evening but put it down to over exertion. I now realise that we're going to have to be a bit more canny and make sure she doesn't over stretch herself.

Anyway, that was a long story and I guess I really should be working. I'll let you know about the Balmedie thing.

Cheers,

Eric :)

Guest screamingswifts
Aye aye Tanya, fit like?

Not a native I'm afraid, but been up here long enough (16months) to know what you mean :)

A bullet camera sounds cool ! We found the best beach round here is Scotstown, nr St Fergus. Usually totally empty and a great place for them to have a good run - but further away for you than Balmedie ! It is great to see them stretch their legs :D

pm'ing is out I'm afraid as I've not posted enough yet - guess I should remedy that but there is so much to read on here that I never get enough time to post :rolleyes:

It took Frida a bit of time to get fitter, but she soon caught up - she has no choice, my spaniel never stops !! But they are very lazy at home and it's an effort for her to stand indoors - horizontal is defiantly best in her eyes :lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to you and your new girl!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Eric:

Welcome to you and your stunning hound! I live in Southwestern Ohio, United States with my two wonderful hounds and three cats. I am married and have one 13 year old daughter.

I cannot imagine being able to let your hounds run off lead. We could never let Maximilian or Indigo run loose, unless they are in our fenced back yard. You are fortunate to be somewhere that you can allow them that freedom.

We adopted Maximilian in October of 2004. He was my first dog, ever. We enjoyed him so much that it was a natural progression to adopt Indigo in November of 2006. Aren't they wonderful additions to your life?

Give Meg a tummy rub for us!

Ellie

Welcome! My husband and family are from Dumbarton - a good way from you but in Scotland nonetheless. :-)

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest Christina

She is a gorgeous thing! I love her color! Welcome from Columbus Ohio USA! I have the exact same coat, but in red, it IS a nice coat - easy on, easy off...

• 4 months later...
Guest Jordan7

Hi Eric - I'm from Aberdeen too!

We stay in Aberdeen and often take a run out to Balmedie so i'll keep an eye out for meg! Where abouts outside aberdeen are you from?

Jordan

Guest cendrine

Welcome from Canada! Beautiful hound! That picture of her roaching cracked me up!

Greyhounds seem to have two speeds - flat out and dead stop LOL

edited for missing the spacebar

Edited by cendrine

Guest FullMetalFrank

Your hound is beautiful! I like the pic of the tracks in sand; I had Frank running at a local ballfield that has kind of sandy soil and we took a look at his tracks where I cut him loose and they are the same, they really dig in and push off with some amazing power, don't they? We love to watch him run, for the sheer joy of it. There are not many places here where I can let him run offlead unfortunately, a beach we visit a couple times a year and the ballpark we go every week.

My sister was just over visiting Scotland and England this past week, not sure where all she went. We are from Oregon. Welcome to GT!

Guest snowberry
:welcome from down south! She is beautiful, and one lucky hound - own deer to chase, owner with bag of beef, a comfy sofa - and a beautiful coat and collar :colgate

Guest greyfiend

Hello Eric and Meg,

We send greetings from the green and equally wet state of Oregon on the Pacific Ocean. Your girl Meg is gorgeous. I hope that you enjoy having her in your life.

Regards,

Sandra (aka Greyfiend)

Welcome from Florida! Meg is gorgeous!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oakmoorehill

Hi Eric I'm from not so sunny England so am nearer to you than most on here .Well at least its the same island I'm im in Staffordshire

Meg is beautiful I have 2 greyhounds Button and William plus various whippets (8 at thre moment) and an irish setter.

Does Meg have a tattoo in her ear? If she has you can trace her history on greyhound data. If she doesn't the chances are she raced at an unregistered track

Guest Eric_Kiltie

Thanks everyone - sorry, I haven't been keeping an eye on this thread for a while

Does Meg have a tattoo in her ear?

The tattoo is in her left ear and looks like "EMV9". Can't find it on the database and hence we suspect that she was run at underground meetings as you suggest.

A few weeks back, I was in Canada on business. In St John's (Newfoundland), I went to a pet store and got a few presents for Meg. Here she is in her new coat.

newcoat3.jpg

newcoat2.jpg

Cheers,

Eric :)