Almonds Were Eaten-- What's The Expectation?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Hi All,

I know dogs aren't supposed to have any nuts except legumes, like peanuts... and no regular nuts especially macadamias.

the other day, I come home, and there is a HUGE pile of D (lumpy oatmeal, not liquid) in the dining room (hardwood floors) and some other rather yellow puddles on a dog bed and near the back door.

I figure it's Haka, who has been fine lately, but has the more unstable stomach of the 2 pups. NO CLUE what started this, since his poop was particularly firm just prior to this happening.

First night, no dinner, next few days, rice and kaopectate, slowly add back kibble. It's over a week now and he's back to solid poop the past few days, so we think crisis is over.

Here's the question-- I found evidence that he may have gotten into some almonds :o I think he may only have had a handful, say 10-12? (roasted salted).

I called the vet as soon as I saw the evidence (plastic container under a dog bed pillow, sneaky!) but he was sick last Thursday, and I only saw the container early this week!

They said they thought they wouldn't be toxic, but to expect him to have stomach upset, D or vomiting.

If he vomits a lot, call them.

he didn't, and the D got better on it's own (which is sooooo great for him, usually we require metronidazol or even tylisin (sp?) )...

I just wanted to check with the greater minds if there was anything else I should be concerned about?

btw-- I know where the nuts came from and how they got them , and that WON'T happen again!

Thanks!

Soren

Edited by sorenkkg

As far as I'm aware, only macadamias and possibly walnuts are toxic. My own dogs have occasionally liked hazelnuts and almonds, though not in that quantity - they usually nibble delicately on one or two. :P

I'd be more concerned about the salt content in Haka's case, but it shouldn't cause any long-term problems unless he has an ongoing medical condition like kidney disease or high blood pressure. Even then, it's a transient challenge.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest sorenkkg

Thanks all!

He's pretty much over the D... we're getting nice firm poops with a bit of squish in the last blop or 2, but that's almost normal for him... glad there's no big longterm effects anyone can think of.

S.

The main risk of almonds is that of cyanogenic glycosides, i.e.: stuff that forms cyanide within the animal. The risk is the same from apple seeds, peach pits, and so forth. In the case of almonds, bitter almonds have a far greater concentration of these compounds than "regular" almonds and, in your case, roasting will reduce the risk to virtually zero. I mean, heck- humans eat 'em, and we are hardly immune to cyanide.

Not to mention the fact that he wouldn't have made it long enough to mess the floor more than once!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

They're full of vitamin E, calcium and magnesium (excellent for menopausal woman!), phosphorus and zinc, and phytochemicals. Not to mention folic acid, fibre, and the fact that they seem to have a lowering effect on cholesterol.

I eat them by the handful - and I ain't dead yet. :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop