Ringworm

Guest CyndiW

Guest mcsheltie
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=559

Does Program Cure Ringworm?

In the late fall of 2000, the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association published a study of over 200 cases indicating that Lufenuron (the active ingredient of Program) could be an effective treatment for ringworm. This began as an observation that animals using Program or Sentinel for flea control did not get ringworm. Questions about this work have come up from the public since the release of this work. The fact is that the study is still under scrutiny by members of the American College of Veterinary Dermatology and the jury is still out. It is clear that the doses purported to be helpful with ringworm should not be harmful. At this time the use of lufenuron for ringworm is reasonable if other more conventional treatments are concurrently used.

Program is what resolved Deb's problem with her cats. She tried everything including Health Guard and Sporanox. It did not go away entirely until she gave Program. I remember she had to do it herself, as her vet did not think it would work.

I brought ringworm home from a show about 20 years ago. I was lucky, it never spread. I used the bleach treatments. At that time the only other good treatment was toxic to the liver and there was a cream that didn't work at all.