How Simple Is Microchipping?

Our boss just bought 100 Microchips and expects all of us to do it upon request. A couple of us are uneasy at the thought. She said it's very simple...just like giving a shot and we should be able to do it. I've never given a shot and there will be no training.

She said Dane Rescue here does it as a fundraiser and if a rescue can do it anyone can. I asked if maybe Dane rescue had vet techs as members. Is it really as easy as she is making it sound? I have no problems giving internasal bordatella, but shots with a big arse needle are something I'd rather not do.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

It is easy, but I would not feel comfortable doing it either!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Just like giving a shot is how I'd describe what I saw when Flint was microchipped.

I had a diabetic cat and had to learn how to give her insulin injections twice a day. I was nervous at first, but got used to it after a while.

Guest EmilyAnne

I'd want to observe a vet doing it for a grey first. Don't greys have real thin skin? I imagine it is more painful for them when they receive shots compared to other breeds? My Alfalfa got insulin shots twice a day for 4 years, but his needles were very tiny and he was not a grey.

Guest DoofBert

When our vet microchipped Tania it was quick -- between the shoulder blades. No anesthesia.... she didn't even bat an eye. Over before we knew it.

However, not so sure I'd want a 'civilian; doing this... vet tech perhaps.

Edited by DoofBert

Guest KennelMom

Ask your boss if she'd like to be first in line to be microchipped by someone who's had zero training ;)

I don't imagine it's hard, but I do imagine it's something you need to be taught how to do properly.

Cameo's chip was put in at the kennel by one of the adoption group folks...not a Vet, but clearly someone with some training and practice. I would ask for some sort of training before messing around with it. It did just look like a simple, painless injection, though.

Sounds to me like both you and your boss are right. However, you seem more right than your boss IMHO.

Microchipping a greyhound is easy. They are already used to being messed with by vets and having medical procedures done so most will not react at all to the shot. Also, the shot goes between the shoulder blades where there is lots of space and it goes just under the skin which is also easy to hit.

However, nobody should have to give any kind of shot without both instruction and guidance for the first couple of times minimum. Certainly a couple of people where you work could be trained and then train the rest of you. Giving a shot the first time is a bit scarey and each of you should have the support you deserve.

I do the microchipping for our group. It is fairly easy, but I'd recommend some training. Depending on the type of chips the company may, at minimum, provide DVD's. We use Avid and they had someone come out and train me.

You do want to make sure you scan the dog before, as well as scanning the chip and comparing the number of the chip to the stickers they come with. Also, one of the most important things is having someone who knows how to hold onto the dog. Once you start putting the chip in you have to finish, and need someone to hold onto the dog so they're not jumping around.

One thing - greyhounds are MUCH easier than other breeds. The big boys will howl and thrash around & the 50lb girls will stand calmly like nothing is happening. I've done some other dogs for our adopters and it's much harder to push the needle through the skin of other breeds vs greyhounds :puke

Kelly

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Ask your boss if she'd like to be first in line to be microchipped by someone who's had zero training ;)

:lol:lol

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project