Where To Stay When Going To Osu

I am writing this in H&M because I figure most of the people that would know the answer to this question, would be in this forum more than any other.

We care speaking with Dr Couto this morning to confirm everything, but it looks like we will be on our way to OSU for Monday. So I need to get my butt in gear and find a place for me and Carrier to spend the night / nights depending on what is going on.

If you have ever gone to OSU - I would like to know where you have stayed - ie. hotel etc - and of course must be dog friendly, because I think we are going to leaving on Sunday afternoon and spend the night, so we aren't rushing around on early Monday trying to get there.

thanks,

eva

good thread to start in case... for many.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MrsDooLittle

Gosh I wish my memory was better. We drove through the night from South Carolina to OSU about 9 years ago. I was 5 months pregnant at the time and my kitty Roxanne had a growth around her heart and OSU was the place my vet in town recommended. We got there the next day just in time for our appointment. I remember meeting Dr Couto who was magnificent and another doctor who actually performed Roxanne's surgery....but his name escapes me at the moment! We ended up staying at one of those efficiency type hotels....we were there for about 5 days I think. It wasn't terribly far from the clinic but I don't know if it was pet friendly. Perhaps you could call and ask for recommendations? I'm sure there have been changes over the last 9 years.

My Roxanne kitty came through the surgery and went on to live another 3 years. She was at least 14 at the time of her surgery and I was so very impressed with OSU.

Best of luck to you......

Cindy

We have not been there but know that our hearts are with you. I think it is a very good idea to go on Sunday. It will take a lot of stress off of you trying to get there in the event of bad traffic/weather and such. :grouphug When we thought we may have to try and get Lacers there I did google hotels in that area and there were some quite close.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Jennifer4719

I can't tell you specifically where to stay in Columbus, but I can tell you that Quarter Horse Congress is going on at the Ohio State Fairgrounds until this Sunday the 28th. Hopefully most of the hotels will be cleared out by then, but you never know. Anyway, I am an hour and a half north of Columbus and I have a camper with all the amenities of home if you should need a place to stay.

Guest boondog

There's a Red Roof Inn at Ackerman and Olentangy River Rd. that I believe people stayed at. Tell them you're going to the vet hosital. I work right by the Inn and OSU. I am in the immediate area, so please PM me if you need anything.

Julie

ETA: I just emailed packmom. She might know where others have stayed. I think there are some places on Lane Ave.

Edited by boondog

There's a Red Roof Inn at Ackerman and Olentangy River Rd. that I believe people stayed at. Tell them you're going to the vet hosital. I work right by the Inn and OSU. I am in the immediate area, so please PM me if you need anything.

Julie

ETA: I just emailed packmom. She might know where others have stayed. I think there are some places on Lane Ave.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Lane. Right across the street from the OSU Field House. Be sure to ask for the Vet Rate. You must call the front desk.

Here is the photo of Dennis (the menace) and Dr Couto.

DennisDrCoutoSmile2.jpg

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest MomoftheFuzzy
I p.m.'d the people I know will know :) so they can tell you!

Thank you for contacting me, Diane.

Eva, unfortunately, we had to make the same trip. Dr. Couto is an incredible man and so helpful in difficult situations such as this. And it sounds like you're doing things a bit more rationally then I did -- we drove like a bat out of hell 8.5 hours from DC to Ohio in the dark just to be there by morning.

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn right across from the OSU campus. It was extremely convenient as far as being closeby and was also reasonable and dog-friendly at the time. Here is the link:

http://www.redroof.com/reservations/inn_details.asp?num=121

I would inquire again about their dog policy but also mention that you're taking a dog to the OSU animal hospital for treatment.

Please let us know if you need anything. We're all here for you. I am forever grateful to Burpdog and packmom (as well as countless other GT members) during that scary time when we took Speck to Dr. Couto. It means a lot to have so many other greyhound owners behind you who understand.

:grouphug

Edited by MomoftheFuzzy

Thanks everyone. I have called Red Roof, Holiday Inn and Super 8 - which is a little further than I would like.

I have made reservations with each hotel because there is an OSU football game on Nov 2 - so most of the rooms are already booked. Red Roof only had 2 left when I spoke with them now. Red Roof is $59 Sunday to Thurs but $119 on Friday and Holiday Inn is $99/night. Both of those are with the discount. Red Roof is $19 for internet access for the week and Holiday Inn is free. Both are pet friendly. I am going to do the math - althought, my basic math tells me that Red Roof is cheaper ;) but I need to write these things down on paper - my brain is not working properly these days.

MOTF - thanks for the comfort - and yes GT is especially wonderful in these situations. You have all eased my nerves. Not to mention Dr Couto who is absolutely brilliant at this and calms me everytime we speak. I look forward to meeting him.

thanks again so very much to everyone who has had Carrier in thoughts and prayers and for all your input and guidance during this extremely difficult time.

Edited by LadyBailey

I stayed at the Red Roof when I went to OSU with Tyler. There are a few food places right there, and I *think* there was a grocery store in the strip mall next to OSU. No complaints, and there's a pretty decent strip of grass for walking all around the parking lot and back by the dumpster.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Best wishes for a safe trip and and good results. You're in our thoughts.

Absolutely! Me too, Eva!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Maybe the OSU itself might know of hotels near by that other patients have stayed at? I know the Motel 6's usually allow pets. I did a quick pet friendly hotel search and there seem to be quite a few in Columbus. This one says it's close to the OSU campus...

http://www.res99.com/hotel/10016403-112879...0b6146c567730ps

good luck and safe travels...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Maybe the OSU itself might know of hotels near by that other patients have stayed at? I know the Motel 6's usually allow pets. I did a quick pet friendly hotel search and there seem to be quite a few in Columbus. This one says it's close to the OSU campus...

http://www.res99.com/hotel/10016403-112879...0b6146c567730ps

good luck and safe travels...

Oh my. The Holiday Inn was $64.00 for most of my stay's.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest fountainpengwen

You're going to love Dr. Couto. He's awesome.

Good luck, safe travels, and let me know if you need anything while here in C-bus.

We have been staying at the Red Roof Inn at OSU which is nice, clean and has always accomodated our request for a first floor room - until this time... We had a bad experience Thursday night when we were delayed on the PA turnpike for over an hour for construction. We arrived at the Red Roof Inn around 1:00 a.m. and they told me my reservation had been canceled because the credit card hadn't gone through. I got firm with them, on the borderline of angry, and told them that I had a confirmed, guaranteed online reservation and I wanted a room! They gave me one on the second floor and when we dragged our stuff up, found that someone was already in the room. Went back down to the office and got the desk person to give us another room - and he went with us to make sure it was empty. So we got our room - not at all what I requested though. They gave me $20.00 back for my "inconvenience" in the morning. Oh, and the problem wasn't my credit card - it went through just fine there. The problem must have been someone entering the numbers incorrectly and they were too lazy to try again.

The thing that bothered me the most was that the desk person acted like there were no rooms available when he told me mine was canceled. If I hadn't gotten "firm" on the border line of angry, I don't know if he would have told me there were rooms available. I knew from my online reservations they were going fast, because of a wrestling conference, so if I hadn't insisted, I don't know what we would have done.

Anyway, I am thinking of trying the Holiday Inn next time, even though it is more money and they don't always offer their vet rate. We stopped in at Holiday Inn to inquire, about three visits ago, and they had rooms available, but weren't offering their vet rate that night because of something special going on at OSU.

Fortunately, we have only one more trip to go to OSU. But I will tell you the people at OSU are wonderful and will go out of their way to answer any questions, etc. And they call back if you have questions in between visits. They make the trip more than worthwhile. I feel that Bodie is getting the finest of care.