Newbie Member Question

Guest Pharaohs_Dad

Your Grey needs more time to settle in.

More time to settle in?! Dr. Doug has been doing this to us for 5 years now, and if anything, he's worse now than ever! As soon as the initial thrill of the walk wears off, he stops. His motivation is sniffing and peeing. He comes to an abrupt, legs-braced, 85-lb stop, nearly jerking my arm and the necks of the other 3 hounds (who do not statue) off. Then when he's very, very sure no one is going to pull on him--and that leash had better be 100% slack or he won't move--he creeps slooooooooowly up to an unsuspecting tree, post, leaf pile or fire hydrant maybe 4-5 yards away and sniffs it all over sloooooowly and deliberately, and then finally, very deliberately, pees on it. Then we can move another 2-3 yards before he sees something else to pee on.

The only thing I can say for sure is that pulling and scolding are counter-productive. Food and squeeky toys are no use. Walking him in the middle of the road helps some, but he has been known to freeze out there with his eye on a distant projection.

If I didn't adore this big lug, I'd leave him home from walks...but it would break his heart.

Edited by SusanP

Guest FrostyBottoms

Vinny doesn't stop at all, Frosty will sloooooooow way down as soon as we turn onto our street....she doesn't want to go home, she wants to keep on walking. Welcome to GT BTW!

No helpful advice from me (my Piper has never statued), but I just wanted to say that your Pharaoh has the most beautiful face! More pictures of that handsome boy, please.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.