Kidney Problems, Deramaxx, And The Vet

Guest suzye

I feel like a horrible mother. I jst discovered Jazz's bandage is wet and has been for days. We wrapped it in plastic, clearly a horrible idea as I guess it sweated. I unwrapped most of it and discovered a nasty sore between 2 of her toes. I hope it's not infected. I hope her foot isnt rotting! Aaaah I'm freaked out now. She ate this morning so it can't be that bad right? I cleaned it a little with hydorgen peroxide and drieditup with cotton balls and wrapped the bad part with fresh gauze. Then I used the sock trick and placed a rubber band at the top since it's not real tight.

We're going to the vet now. I just can't do this anymore. The bandages are a mess. There has to be another way.

About the urine, how can I collect a urine where she hasn't been drinking if I have to give her access to water because of the kidney issues? I guess 5 hours would be OK, if it's for am important reason?

Are you SURE she actually has kidney issues or did her values spike due to medications?

It's nothing for a dog's kidney values to double in a week (BTDT with a combo if Gentamicin and Rimadyl... both needed even though they're tough on the dog's system), but they go down once off the meds. The values WILL go up when the kidneys have to work harder, but it doesn't necessarily mean that there's any harm done over the long term.

Lynn

Are you SURE she actually has kidney issues or did her values spike due to medications?

It's nothing for a dog's kidney values to double in a week (BTDT with a combo if Gentamicin and Rimadyl... both needed even though they're tough on the dog's system), but they go down once off the meds. The values WILL go up when the kidneys have to work harder, but it doesn't necessarily mean that there's any harm done over the long term.

Lynn

I totally blame the Deramaxx for this "incident". I don't think anyone, the vet included, knows for sure if it's a spike or true kidney disease. The vet said she has chronic kidney disease and that perhaps the Deramaxx pushed her into it, but if you ask me that vet is not the expert on this topic by a long shot. I hope there is no long-term damage.... But 1 week after completion of IV fluids her creatinine was still above what it was 2 months before. After 1 week at home it creeped up a few tenths while BUN went down more and was back to her normal. It's been 1 week since the last bloodwork and she's still drinking a lot. I'm going to start measuring it again tonight. I measured it for 1 week following hospitalization and then got tired so I will check it again. We also changed vets so her next bloodwork is going to be different I am sure, which really sucks, but I just couldn't go back to that other place again. I dont' think this new vet is better versed on kidney stuff, but we know 2 people who've been going there awhile and I also feel that he will listen more to me and be more open. Not just "feed low protein, bye bye."

If it's just an incident, how long would you expect before she went back to normal? I guess she's going to pee more because of the moisture in the diet and that makes her drink more and that makes her pee more, etc., so I don't know if I can expect this to get better?

Good grief even with the broken toe Jazz has been going up and down the stairs like crazy! (answering door for trick or treaters) I'd say she's feeling really good today.

BTW I never mentioned it but Jazz had struvite crystals and UTI in early 2004... That's why we switched from Nutro to Science Diet (far less mineral content). I can't remember what struvites are made of. I will have to check my notes but maybe Ph is one of them. Maybe we should check for UTI... I joined the k9kidneydiet group and they are saying to check more on urinalysis and test her for lepto. I'll call the vet and ask about those. Checkog old records now... She had a lepto booster on 7/3/2006.

Edited by suzye