Turkey Necks

Guest patti909

Guest patti909

This weekend I was so excited, I finally found raw turkey necks. I bought enough for all 5 hounds and rushed home, excited to give them to everyone, and knowing that Luke would be saved a dental.

Guess what......no one would eat them!!!

Now what can I give them?

Guest BlackandBrindle

Try the necks again. Maybe sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on them, or rubbing them with apple cider vinegar.

If they refuse to eat it, you might try chicken leg quarters.

Good luck!

:lol Figures doesn't it.

Were they frozen at the time you offered them? My guys were a little more picky about the defrosted ones than they were the partially frozen ones. I guess it helps that the last time they had one it was +40ºC out. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

For my smaller dog, I cut them in half. Try letting them sit in a little warm water. Maybe they don't like them very cold. Brandy really doesn't like to eat raw poultry. She will eat raw beef.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Some dogs also prefer their food at room temperature. And many get less picky as they realize that this new stuff is indeed food, and get used to eating it.

Some can be intimidated by large RMBs, or not like certain proteins. You could also try making a couple of cuts into the flesh so there is somewhere for them to grab on.

BTW, did you give them to all the dogs at once? Did they all just sniff and walk away? Were they hungry? I find if I'm feeding something that one of mine doesn't like (a certain kind of fish, for example) I give them dinner a little later, so they're good and hungry, and I use sibling rivalry to my advantage. ;)

Mine like their turkey necks best when they are partially frozen. Sometimes it takes a few tries for them to get the idea. I second the sprinkling of parmesan cheese to get them started.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest jupiterooos

How long will the necks keep in the freezer? I bought some for Jupiter, but a few days later he came down with Big D and has been on boiled chicken and rice ever since. I'd hate to throw them all away!

As long as they are in a sealed bag or container they should be fine for at least 3 months.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

from this web site

Freezer Storage Chart (0 °F)

Note: Freezer storage is for quality only. Frozen foods remain safe indefinitely.

Item Months Bacon and Sausage 1 to 2 Casseroles 2 to 3 Egg whites or egg substitutes 12 Frozen Dinners and Entrees 3 to 4 Gravy, meat or poultry 2 to 3 Ham, Hotdogs and Lunchmeats 1 to 2 Meat, uncooked roasts 4 to 12 Meat, uncooked steaks or chops 4 to 12 Meat, uncooked ground 3 to 4 Meat, cooked 2 to 3 Poultry, uncooked whole 12 Poultry, uncooked parts 9 Poultry, uncooked giblets 3 to 4 Poultry, cooked 4 Soups and Stews 2 to 3 Wild game, uncooked 8 to 12

siggie-7.jpg

There may be some minimal loss of nutrients in frozen foods over the long term, but they are still safe to feed. Most of the change affects texture, which is why humans often don't like freezer burnt food as much, but dogs don't care. :) In fact, getting freezer burned meat from friends is a great way to get some free chow for your hound, whether you're going to cook it or feed it raw.

Guest needlenoselover

Use them as a meal replacement. That way your dogs are hungry, and will more be likely to eat them. Also, try either shaky cheese or put some gravy on them. Good luck!