New Here And To Greyhounds!

Guest teachckg

Guest teachckg

So... my husband and I are thinking of adopting a greyhound. I have always thought they were beautiful and I used to have an Italian Greyhound. I am in the process of researching the whole idea. We are thinking June-- I am a teacher and this will give me plenty of time at home for the transition period. I do have to questions though.

My husband is allergic to dogs. I have read Greyhounds have low dander and he is on medication, but I do not want him to be miserable. Has anyone dealt with someone with allergies?

The second question is... If we do adopt we would fence in our yard. Does is need to be a certain height? We are thinking a standard size fence. My thoughts are they could easily jump it?

Thanks in advance,

Courtney

I am allergic to dogs and have 4 greyhounds now, but everyone's allergies are different.

I had lived with a labrador as a child despite allergies and felt sure I could do it again, especially with the help of modern allergy meds. I "allergy tested" myself on a neighborhood hound and found my lips and eyes did not swell as they did when I petted other dogs and then rubbed my face. I spent 3 hours at a greyhound shelter without any allergy meds to see what would happen. Not much, a few sneezes. so I think there may be something to greyhounds being a little easier on allergies.

We adopted Dr. Doug 5 years ago. My hands and arms broke out in rashes for the first 2 months, and then the rashes stopped. At first I attempted to keep Dr.Doug out of the bedroom. That lasted about 1 day. Then I tried to keep him out of our bed--I think that lasted about 4 days. After 2 months, my rashes were gone. I stopped requiring more than my usual seasonal allergy meds. And we adopted 3 more hounds.

The main thing for us was that I went into this adoption knowing I would have some degree of allergy trouble and would find a way to deal with it without giving up the dog. I was lucky in that my allergies got better. I was also lucky neither of my kids developed a dog allergy. It would have been much harder had a child developed chronic asthma, for example.

Our adoption group requires a minimum 4' fence. We got a 6' wood privacy fence, and I'm glad of it. Zippy jumped to the top of it once to touch noses with a possum sitting on it.

PS: I'm also not having allergic reactions to any dogs anymore. For years I'd avoided petting dogs I met because of the swelling eyes and lips that followed if I touched my face, or the rashes on my fingers. Now I volunteer every week at the local animal shelter, where I am slobbered on all over my face and I have no reaction at all. There is something to this desensitization business!

Edited by SusanP

Here's a thought. Would you be permitted to foster a hound through your adoption group to see how the allergies go? Or foster with intent to adopt if you're pretty sure it would be ok?

And is your DH 100% crazy about dogs and determined to make it work even if it means some discomfort for him?

Guest teachckg

He does want a dog, I am the one with my heart set on Greyhounds. I honestly do not like any of the supposed "hypo-allergenic" dogs. I am in the proccess of steering him toward greyhounds and he is very open to the idea. From all that I have read, one would fit into our lives perfectly. I just want to have a dog that my husband can cuddle with as much as I can. If I keep researching and this does sound like a good idea, our next step will be to have him spend time with a greyhound (shelter or another way). "Fostering" a dog for awhile would be great also, but I know myself--- I would get attached and they I could see it being a horrible situation where I would be really upset about having to give the dog back. I figured there would be a "tough" period where my DH would be uncomfortable until the adjustment.

Thanks for all the great info.

For the record, some of my worst allergic reactions have been to poodles, another of the breeds often touted as "hypo-allergenic". It's such an individual thing.

I'd be the same way about fostering. :)

Welcome to GT! :wave Re fencing, if you can put in a 6 foot, that is the safest. :) 5 feet is passable, 4 feet is asking for trouble. :(

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

We had a 4 foot fence in our last and both hounds were fine (it was the fence we put in long before we got our hounds) - no jumping problems even when Silver would chase the squirrels and cats. They would go over the fence and he wouldn't. We moved recently and are in the process of building a new fence. Our neighborhood has a 4 foot max height restriction. I'm a little nervous this time around because we have a new hound and while she is small I've seen her jump pretty high in the house (ie. the stairs, the bed). We will be supervising them while outside in the yard for awhile. So if you can put a higher fence in that would be great but if you have any restrictions a 4 foot will work. I really think it depends a lot on the dogs - some are jumpers and some aren't.

Good luck and welcome to the world of greyhounds!

Kim, Holly and Silver

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

We adopted our first Grey in June and he does not bother my allergies/asthma at all. I have actually noticed a reduction in my asthma inhaler use after we lost our 17 year old Sheltie mix in March and then adopted him. I also dog walk at our local SPCA and some of the dogs there do cause me to react.

If you adopt a dog in the summer do not forget to practise alone time for when you go back to work in the fall. A lot of people make that mistake and end up with behavioural issues to deal with because the dog is so used to having someone around all the time.

Leanne

:colgate

Start by reading Greyhound for Dummies and Adopting the racing greyhound bycynthia branigan.

Some people have no problem with their allergies with GH and some do. I also agree with the fostering with intent.

Also, it sounds great in theory to get the dog in June when you will be around but it isn't necessarily the best time.

By doing this, you are conditioning a dog who is used to not being alone that he won't be alone. Then, one day, you will disappear for GOD knows how long (according to the dog).

I beleive that exact example is stated in greyhound for dummies and it really makes sence. I know Freddygirl had that same problem when she got her first GH.

If you do decide to get a GH, why not get him/her over a long weekend and start the transition that way. Are you able to come home during the day at all?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

:welcome

You have come to the right place to start asking questions. Although we are all greyhound lovers here so we might be biased. ;):)

We have a 4 foot fence and have since we adopted our first hound (almost 5 years ago) and have never had a problem. Individual cases may vary.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

I'm have allergies and underwent allergy shots for several years. Dust, mold, cats, dogs etc. Fortunately, Monty does not bother me in the least. Before adopting him I went to meet 'n greets for several months. Apart from getting my greyhound fix I was able to interact with many greyhounds without problem to my allergies.

Guest teachckg

Thanks so much for all the information. I am going to get the "Dummies" book! And you are right about not having your dog get used to you being home all the time. My summers are busy with graduate classes and I also teach summer school for two weeks. You all are really full of great information-- thanks a lot!

I don't think summer is a bad time to get a hound. You can control how often and how long you are gone much better when you're off work for the summer, and that will allow the hound to settle in and get used to things before you are gone for longer days.

But it isn't essential. Since the school year is underway, you might consider spring break time or some similar break (provided you will not have crazy holiday activity going on) as the best time.

Or really, any 3 day weekend.

Edited by SusanP

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Welcome to GT

Our group adopts with out having a fence. It is mandatory that you have the dog on a lead at all times when outside. I'd even suggest getting the leash on before you open the door if you don't have a fence...same for getting them out of the car etc.

The dummy book is excellent and a must to read with our group as well

I do agree with the above and try to foster after reading the book. Our group does an intense background check too, so be ready for that before adopting/fostering. Be sure this is a family decision. Not to discourage you, because you have the heart for a super home, but your DH is a BIG part of the greyhounds life, and he must want to make some sacrifices too. Good Luck and keep us posted

Guest teachckg

I would never get a dog without my husband's blessing! It would not be fair to the dog. That is why we are easing our way into this. And actually we have a very busy next few months. We are moving into a new home, we are going on a long vacation over x-mas and I am doubling up on graduate classes in the spring. So summer time is the best time for us. What got me jump started was seeing GPA at a Home and Garden Show in Maryland this weekend. I also saw many in Rehobeth DE a few weeks ago (I think there was a convention). So I have not been able to get my mind off them.

Che mar Cody-- I noticed you are from Pittsburgh. We are moving to south-eastern PA. I read that there is a rescue in Harrisburg PA-- do you know anything about this?

Thanks everyone!

Guest Che_mar_Cody
I would never get a dog without my husband's blessing! It would not be fair to the dog. That is why we are easing our way into this. And actually we have a very busy next few months. We are moving into a new home, we are going on a long vacation over x-mas and I am doubling up on graduate classes in the spring. So summer time is the best time for us. What got me jump started was seeing GPA at a Home and Garden Show in Maryland this weekend. I also saw many in Rehobeth DE a few weeks ago (I think there was a convention). So I have not been able to get my mind off them.

Che mar Cody-- I noticed you are from Pittsburgh. We are moving to south-eastern PA. I read that there is a rescue in Harrisburg PA-- do you know anything about this?

Thanks everyone!

Lancaster County

Sean Gallagher

243 N. Marshall St.

Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-392-7208

EMail: ezdc66@verizon.net

Lancaster County

Bill Weinberg

919 Driver Avenue

Landisville, PA 17538

Phone: 717-898-0739