Carrier's Diagnosis

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry, but praying hard!

With three of mine gone now to cancer, and the average cost of a front limb/chest xray being fairly minimal, I will continue from this point to xray all my greys

that begin to limp, especially after 8-9 years of age. The sooner you know, the sooner you can be aggressive in treating cancer, both holistically and traditionally.

With Gypsy who went to the bridge in September, I only knew for sure 2 weeks before she lost out :( , but I am very glad I had that xray done. We followed up with an acupuncture treatment the same day and I know that really helped her a lot.

Carrier is a real dude :wub: and I pray for lots more healthy days ahead-

Lisa

White light and prayers for you and Carrier.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Carrier Update October 17

Well, today is the first day that I haven't cried. I know we are not suppose to in front of our hounds, but yesterday was so hard... it hit me as soon as I woke up - I guess the shock had worn off and it hit me straight on with what we are dealing with. I was on the phone most of the morning with people calling and seeing how he was doing - so that didn't help, because it was hard not to think or talk about anything but. But then I decided that it was time to stop crying and make sure that Carrier start enjoying every minute possible. We haven't been walking him because we weren't sure what we were dealing with and didn't know if walking too much was going to make it worse or not - so he hasn't been for a true walk in weeks. I have plenty of time now, since I don't have a job thanks to Vonage losing a lawsuit to Sprint and in return shutting down their Canadian office, which in turn left 9 of us unemployed at the advertising agency...I guess everything happens for a reason... I am at least able to be at home for him right now.

So... I loaded him and Ella into the car and went out on a nice trail walk. I let him off leash, since he really poses no risk of running away and this way he can maintain the speed at which is comfortable for him. Funny enough, he was running ahead of us most of the time - which was extremely heartwarming to see that he was so happy and still able to walk so strongly. We walked for 45 mins. and when we got to the entrance, he tried to start the whole walk again... he didn't want to stop... however, i decided that he had had enough and off we went back home. I then took Bailey and Andy for a walk, while Carrier and Ella dozed the afternoon away.

He ate his breakfast with much gusto this morning, but has totally turned his nose to bananas, although he loves the new sweet potato and fish treats. We have done some reading on how to alter his diet and I have also ordered the Artmesinin.

Our vet, Dr Shearer has gotten us in at the OVC (Ontario Vet College) on an emergency case - so we have an appointment Friday Oct 18 at 9am to stage the cancer and see what our options are for Carrier. I am nervous, but glad that we are able to get going on this for him and figure out the best possible treatment. As I mentioned, I haven't cried today (which is a miracle)... I feel strong and positive for Carrier and know that he is in good hands - we will do everything that we can for him and make sure it's based on Carrier and not my fear of losing him. I have to remind myself of this... and I also spoke with OSU and got an email from Dr Couto - who is in Spain at the moment - which also put my mind a rest, knowing that there are great people who are going to help us through this.

Thank you for your responses and kind words. I will keep you posted on the progress and our decisions. I have kept a journal on this since Carrier first started trembling and limping, which I will post so others can read and know what we have noticed and what we have done that has worked and hasn't worked.

eva

ps - he also sphinxed to chew a bone this morning and of course he lead the pack again in a morning roo.

Guest Tenderhearts
I feel strong and positive for Carrier and know that he is in good hands - we will do everything that we can for him and make sure it's based on Carrier and not my fear of losing him.

Reading this brought tears to my eyes again :cry1

That is the hardest thing to do, putting our feelings aside and doing what's truly best for them :grouphug

I am so glad things moved so quickly for your consult, and continue to keep all of you in my prayers! :hope :hope :hope

Please give Carrier an extra special hug for me! :grouphug

Bless his heart...it always amazes me how they don't *know* they're sick, so as long as they feel good, they don't know they should be *acting* sick! I'm so glad you are getting in with the OVC that quickly - I'm sure with their assistance you will be able to come up with the absolute best plan for Carrier...keeping all of you in my thoughts! Lisa

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

What a special day you've had together. I'm so glad. :kiss2 for Carrier

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest chadmom

I am sorry you are going down this road TOO MANY of us have traveled. It is a hard one, but you sound like you have a good team to help you and Carrier. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Sending our prayers and healing white light to Carrier. I know your fears and I know so many of us here know what you are going through. I think it helps once a plan is set in place and then you can concentrate on what has to be done. I think the worse is the waiting and the feeling that you are doing nothing to help them. Even if the plan is no more than pain control...it's a plan. Please hug Carrier for us. I am so happy that he had such a wonderful day and praying for many more. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Carrier, be a good boy at your big appointment today and let the nice folks figure out how best to help you.

BTW, I bet I'm not the only one who would love to see pics/video of you leading a morning roo . . . . hint . . . . hint . . . .

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Sending more prayers for Carrier. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

:goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)