Carrier's Diagnosis

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrier Update October 23

We took Carrier to OVC on Friday and they took full xrays and blood work. He had to be sedated for the xrays, since they were taking so many and multiple views. They reversed one of the drugs, but don't reverse the other - so it was really hard on him and it took him longer than normal to snap out of it. We brought him home in the afternoon - after being there for 4 hours - he was still out of it and slept most of the day. He did eat his dinner and then rested for the night.

Saturday he wanted to go for a walk - half way through, we could tell he wasn't comfortable, and we figured his nerve in his neck was pinched - so we drove to Toronto to see Dr Rosenberg ( I love this man) - he adjusted him and Carrier felt much better afterwards.

Sunday was uneventful and most of the day was just spent loving and hugging him and the others.

Monday we were back at OVC for a bone scan and ultrasound. His chest and abdomen are clear, but the bone scane showed a lesion on his right back femur. He had to spend the night at OVC because he was radioactive from the bone scan. It was heartbreaking knowing that he wasn't able to go pee or anything outside of his cage, because no one could touch him until the isotope (sp?) from the bone scan was out of his system.

After dropping him off and coming home yesterday - the others were just so sad ... Bailey especially, as she is his littermate and they are extra close... she had big d yesterday and she is actually snuggling up with Ella - something she has never done in the past. I keep telling them that Carrier will be home soon and not to worry - but I know they know that he's not well and they too are sad not having him here.

They are doing another xray on the back leg as I write this, to see how far gone it is. We will know what our options are this afternoon. Possible amputation of the right front leg - because that is the one with the major tumor in it - or just move ahead with chemo and radiation and pain management. I have been in touch with OSU and will be seeking a second opinion from them depending on what OVC has to say.

We might be able to go and see him tonight, but I am afraid that it might stress him more - so I am going to make the call after we hear what our options are.

It's so hard not having him here, but I am staying positive that we still have options for him - the best options for him.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers . He is so special and I would do anything to have this not happening to him.

Guest jurishound

This is heartbreaking news - I am so sorry. Your positive attitude and determination to give Carrier the best care possible is so remarkable. Sending hugs and sincerest best wishes to you and Carrier as you take this journey together. :hope

Sending my many prayers. Holding you in our hearts. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Carrier Update Oct 23 6 PM

I have some good news.

I just got off the phone with the vet. Everyone but the senior radiologist has looked at the xray of the back leg - and they don't think it's cancer in the rear leg. The area is so small that they can't even do a fine needle aspiration. They are trying to get the senior radiologist to look at it tonight.

Tim and I have discussed it and our decision is - if it's spread to the back leg, we are going to do radiation... he seems to be in some pain with the state of the front leg - so hoepfully this will help with that and then just manage his pain and make him as comfortable as possible. If it's not in his rear leg and only in the front - we are going to do the surgery and amputate. I have spoken with OSU and they agree that amputation is the best case if it's an option because it removes the source of pain. OVC also agrees with this.

He is going to spend the night at OVC again because bringing him home tonight and then bringing him back again will be too much for him. He is eating without problem - so that is a good sign. The vets say that his blood work and ultrasound are perfect so overall health, he is good.

I know we are not going to cure him, but I feel that we owe it to Carrier to give him the best possible chance... and if he's healthy and lively and the vets are confident that he is well enough for surgery, then we are going to do it. I am going to speak to OSU again before we do anything - but from the conversation today with them - if amputation is an option, then they seem to recommend it.

Thanks again for the prayers and thoughts - please keep sending them. We miss our boy at home - the house has been so quiet without his sweet Rooing...and his whining when he needs something... and the banging of his food bowl stand when I am taking too long to get his meal. I miss him like crazy - a visit is in order tomorrow.

Sending huge hugs to you, and gentle snuggles to Carrier. I know you'll make the best decisions you can for him in this sad, difficult situation.

Hugs and love to the others in the pack, too.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Thanks for the update. Been thinking about youse guys, and hoping for the best for Carrier.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Eva, that's good news!!! You, Carrier and Tim continue to be in my thoughts...

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Eva - I'm just reading this thread now. I don't often look into Health & Medical. Carrier's fight with this terrible disease has brought tears to my eyes.

Judy and I are completely taken by surprise about Carrier and his cancer. So many others have expressed support for you and Tim, I can't express how deeply my thoughts are for you and your Carrier. Please know you are in our prayers. You and Tim will continue to do what is best for your pup and everyone here will give you both all the support you need.

God bless

Robin, Judy, and, Shadow

My heart is with you and I hope for the best outcome possible for Carrier. Keeping him surrounded with love and light for his highest good. :heart:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Carrier Update Oct 24

We got the call back last night from OVC and the two senior radiologists both agree that it's not cancer in the back leg. thank sweet merciful god!

I want to throw up because my nerves are shot. This is the hardest decision we've ever had to make. We have weighed all the pros and cons, spoken with many people who have gone through the same thing, consulted with OSU and OVC on our options, read a million things on the website and gained strength from your thoughts and prayers.

We have put Carrier through all of the tests to see what his options were - the whole time hoping that amputation was an option, because that would mean it hadn't spread yet... well this is now the case and under the guidance of OSU and OVC, we are going to amputate. The cancer in his humerus getting bigger and is become painful. He is already walking on three legs and overall healthy - so they believe that doing this is the right thing for Carrier - which we agree with. Otherwise, we would just do radiation and pain management and let this bloody poison spread to the rest of his body and risk him being in severe pain and then the dreaded fracture. He is tentatively booked for surgery this afternoon. So we are going to see him before that.

We got Bailey, Andy and Ella rooing this morning after we decided what we were going to do. They have never roo'd without Carrier before - I hope he heard them rallying for him. We miss him.

Guest DoofBert

Good Luck Carrier..... and prayers for simple surgery. with a speedy recovery.. Let God and guardian angels guide the surgeons hands while they are caring for your Carrier!

Edited by DoofBert

They are rooing for him! Sending my prayers and I will keep checking for updates. I want you to know...every time our telephone rings...Flashy and LaceyLaine roo and now baby BrookLynne joins in and roos too~We are dedicating these roos to Carrier. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest LolasMom

Prayers coming your way for a safe surgery and a speedy recovery for Carrier. :hope

Lola also sends a big loud Roo with Carriers name on it. :beatheart

Edited by LolasMom

Carrier Update Oct 24 10am

OVC just called me and they now think that he is having pain in that right back leg - so they don't know if amputation is the right choice anymore - but it's a 50/50 split (amputation vs radiation), because they don't know for sure what is going on in the back leg.

My head is spinning and I just want to cry and bring Carrier home. I have spoken with OSU and have asked that OVC call Dr Couto today - the intern at OVC said, "I will see if they are willing to call him" I said, "I don't care if they don't want to call him, because I want them to and they are going to!"

I am losing faith in OVC and the fact that every time they call me, there is change from the original decision. I am ready to get him out of there and drive to OSU. My poor boy - I just want to hug him right now. We are waiting to see what the final decision is going to be and then they are going to arrange when we can see him.

Try to stay strong! You are in my prayers!

Mindy

Mom to Max (grey), Buttermilk (grey) and Winston (iggy) and Skinkids, Ally and Ben! In loving memory of Angels Chelsey(Weim), whom we lost on August 26, 2004, Majestic(Chow) on November 20, 2005, on October 5, 2007, we lost Natasha(lab mix), and on May 28, 2009 we lost our greyhound Ike born 7/31/2005 You were too young to go!!!! We lost Monte(Whippet) on September 23, 2009. We miss you all!

Oh Eva - my heart and stomach are in knots for you guys! I'm so sorry, I don't know what to say - I hope Dr. Couto is able to connect with them today and some decisions made. Did OVC know why his rear leg would be hurting, if there isn't really anything there? Has OSU seen his x-rays and concur with the decision that the right rear leg is fine?

I wish there was some way I could help take the stress of this decision from you... :grouphug

Just out of curiosity,how far is the drive to OSU...?

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Oh Eva - my heart and stomach are in knots for you guys! I'm so sorry, I don't know what to say - I hope Dr. Couto is able to connect with them today and some decisions made. Did OVC know why his rear leg would be hurting, if there isn't really anything there? Has OSU seen his x-rays and concur with the decision that the right rear leg is fine?

I wish there was some way I could help take the stress of this decision from you... :grouphug

Just out of curiosity,how far is the drive to OSU...?

They figure his back leg has an infarct or early metasasis (but the xrays are not showing that), so there is a risk either way. If we radiate - we have to wait two to three days to see if that helps him, but we risk the other tumor in his right front leg breaking. If we amputate, we risk having the back leg get worse and then he is only stuck with two good legs. If it's an infarct, then it would cause pain from what I understand and they feel that he has a mild limp on the back leg too. OSU hasn't seen the xrays, because OVC doens't have a digital xray that they can send via email, so they can only send it via courier - which would only arrive tomorrow. I think that is what is going to have to happen.

Btw, I did a mapquest search from Paris to Columbus and it's 6 hour and 15 minutes.

Edited by LadyBailey

oh eva, i'm so sorry. is there any way you can take carrier to OSU? i think part of the problem with this area is that local vets just don't know much about osteo and greyhounds :(

you, Carrier and Tim continue to be in my thoughts and please let me know if there's anything i can do to help out :grouphug

btw, the drive isn't bad. i made it a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Eva, I don't know what all vets you have in your area ... but ... when B was ill, the vet with the fancier equipment was willing to digitize B's x-rays (taken at my regular vet) for me so I could email them to OSU.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.