Does Anyone Have Experience With Ramps?

Guest AmandaPup

Guest AmandaPup

My Tess is coming up on her 13th birthday and even when I got her over ten years ago I knew she had suffered injuries but nothing was particularly debilitating. Within the last eight months or so she had hurt herself at least twice when leaping into the car. One time so badly she could not stand on her feet for a couple of days. It occurred to me that maybe I could use a ramp to get into the car [van actually] and so I ordered one. This is the only time she makes a leap any more. Although she still gets onto the sofa, she climbs up. Anyway today was the first chance to try the ramp and so I went out to the van, set it up and walked my two girls up to it. I don't know what I expected but not that Tess woud shy away from it completely. At the moment I have the ramp in the house leaning on a single step. Fortunately the area is wide enough that dogs and I can step up and down without stumbling over the ramp but I was wondering if they are fearful things or what experiences others may have had.

AmandaPup

We had a ramp for Gabriel when he was quite ill. It was one that went into the house, not a car, but the experience may be similar.

Like Tess, Gabriel balked at the ramp at first so do not be surprised by that.

I would suggest that if you are going to use the ramp only to get into the van that you go ahead and set it up there. If Tess gets comfortable with the ramp going into the house that doesn't necessarily mean she will transfer the experience to the van.

The most important thing is to make sure that the ramp is VERY secure and stable. If it rocks, bounces or makes funny noises when Tess steps on it, she will see it as even scarier than she sees it now.

Once the ramp is set up, place a treat on it near the bottom. She should be able to get the treat without getting on the ramp. Place the next treat a bit further up the ramp. If Tess can walk to the side of the ramp and snuffle the treat, you will have to hold it rather than placing it on the ramp. If Tess gets anxious and won't get the treat at the new level, move it back down a bit. Practice a few times and stop. Always end on a happy note where Tess has successfully gotten her treat.

It may take a few times, but she will get it. Once she has the hang of it, you'll both wonder what you did without it.

Good luck and congrats on your girl's upcoming birthday as a new teenager!

I usually use a set of lightweight foamboard steps (homemade), but I bought a ramp some months ago. Practiced first with it set up on the couch (they don't get up on the couch otherwise, believe it or not), then for the SUV. We just did it every night for a week or so. Since we haven't used it since, I imagine we might have to practice again, but it really took just a few nights for them to get comfy with the idea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tampagreymom

I got a ramp called Petstep for my bridge angel Cinnamon after attending a seminar at Sandy Paws showing how senior greys can really injur themselves jumping in or out of a vehicle. She was very scared to step on it so I set it up in the house first completely flat and encouraged her to walk across it by using treats and putting a soft towel on its surface. After a couple of times I set it up for her to get in and out of my SUV and again laid a towel on it so the surface wouldn't be so scary to her. The first few times I again had to use treats to get her to use it but after a while, she was fine.

Teddy is 3.5 years old and just over 80 pounds and WILL NOT JUMP. Guess how he gets in and out of the car? we lift him. We are thinking about getting a ramp because we can't allow Polli to jump and Teddy won't so it could come in handy and we might save our backs!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Ladyluther

Luther is 14 + years old and he hasn't jumped into the car for a very long time!!! We ordered a ramp from www.dogramp.com and followed all the instructions re: introducing it in house, flat, treats etc...He outright refused to use it..So we lift his highness into the car/SUV and he is perfectly content...but he's mellowed more in the last month or so..which means we will try this again!!

Like one of the other posters said, make sure it is absolutely secure - no bouncing..the tread should be secure and comfortable. My ramp also has 2 or 3" sides and telescopes rather than folds..

Good luck and keep us posted

Martha and Luther in MA

I did agility class with all my girls when I first got them. (a great bonding tool). So, they all learned the "dog walk", which is a very narrow ramp. So when I bought a wider, sturdier ramp, they had no problems. But what I did use to help learn the ramp was put a harness on them and treat them like a suitcase. It's better than dragging them by the neck or putting one foot in front of the other.

good luck. It's a life saver. My old lady Onyx (12 yrs) now uses it to get into and out of the car. They all use it to get out. I don't like them constantly jumping down from that distance (I have a high SUV).

MP and the 4 pack