Is It Harmful For A Dog To Eat Soap?

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hey everyone!

Okay, my Lab has eaten some pretty weird things in her time, but this has got to rank up there. Today I found a bar of soap with a corner chewed off :eek !! I am pretty darned sure it was Lucy, as the greyhounds really don't tend to chew and eat non-food items (except for one wooden knitting needle by Taylor, and oh yeah Rita did chew on a pen one time, but it is pretty rare as compared to the chew-monster Lab!!)

I thought soap in the mouth was supposed to be a punishment??

What I am wondering is, should I be worried? What could be the possible ramifications--sudsy poop? :blink: Anyone have any experience with this?? Should I call the vet?

Of course, she seems fine. But then again, she seemed fine last year after she ate some ibuprofen and ended up spending three nights in the hospital to monitor her kidneys and GI tract (she ended up being fine from that one, thank goodness, with no damage to speak of!)

Thanks for any help!!

Guest CocktailGirl
Randy ate most of a bar of Ivory soap last year :sick

He yakked up several puddles of foamy Ivory-scented vomit :lol

At least the vomit smelled nice. :blink:

Tonic likes to steal the babies washcloth after their bath and lick the soap out of it. He is a bit of an odd boy. :lol

Seriously, a call in to the vet never hurts.

Guest beerdogs31

Yes, my grey likes to stand in the bathtub sometimes :-) He ate a whole bar of Caress soap once and then puked it up as suds! I didn't realize what happened to my bar of soap until I found the bubbly puke!

Guest loveagrey

I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't met a dog yet who hasn't eaten a bar a soap and has lived to tell about it. At least their breath smell better for awhile! :lol

Guest goodtimekid

My lab Cleo has a fettish for soap. She ate a bar of dove soap once and I couldn't understand why when she "went" I could smell the dove soap until it started to have the pink tinges mixed in. It did upset her stomach but obviously not enough to stop her from hunting from shower to shower to find a new treat..... :P

Guest diagirl
This may be the TheraFlu talking... but let us know if Lucy farts bubbles

:ph34r ok, i need to go back to bed, getting slaphappy from cold meds

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Guest needlenoselover

Ok, just as an FYI, monkeys in the wild that are given bars of soap, eat it for the fat in it! Thank you Animal Planet!!

I'm sure Lucy will be fine. She will either just burp or fart bubbles!!!! ;)

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Gotta love those labs!!!!!!

Guest taylorsmom
Ok, just as an FYI, monkeys in the wild that are given bars of soap, eat it for the fat in it! Thank you Animal Planet!!

I'm sure Lucy will be fine. She will either just burp or fart bubbles!!!! ;)

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Gotta love those labs!!!!!!

Well, now that is a really good tidbit to know!!

You said it, gotta love those crazy, eat everything in sight labs!

But I have to say that I draw the line at farting bubbles.....I think her greyhound sisters may be a little freaked about that too if that happens!

Guest nerak254
Randy ate most of a bar of Ivory soap last year :sick

He yakked up several puddles of foamy Ivory-scented vomit :lol

:rotfl:rotfl At least what you cleaned up smelled good:rotfl :rotfl

Parents' whippet went through a soap-eating phase many years ago. Parents switched to liquid soap. Problem solved.

P.S. Whippet is 14.5 now. He's kind of a lumpy bumpy little guy but he's still with us and would probably eat more soap if he got the chance.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest taylorsmom
I laughed myself sick. The thought of soap scented poop and puke was too much. I hope your lab feels ok.

Becky

Lucy is perfectly fine, no bad side effects from soap ingestion--and unfortunately, no good side effects either, her poops today smelled as bad as ever and she did not entertain us with any bubbles from rear or front ends :huh