Puking After Eating Grass

Guest lms

I've read here that some people's greys will eat grass when they have an upset stomach, and then throw it up and it makes them feel better. Mine had a stomach ache yesterday and hasn't eaten since I gave him oatmeal for breakfast. He won't eat anything I give him and is outside right now, grazing. How long should it take for him to get sick? I don't want to bring him back into the house and have him get sick inside. :rolleyes:

Sometimes they eat grass and *never* puke. I'd bring him in before he eats huge amounts of it, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, he just grazed for about 10 minutes. I don't usually let him go that long, but my husband has been up with him all night and he grazed then too, so figure it's a foregone conclusion at this point since I don't have any idea how much he's eaten.

It really depends on the dog. Huggy Bear would eat grass like a horse and never get sick. Igby on the other hand eats grass and gets sick within a couple of hours. You'll just have to keep an eye on him for a while.

Some throw it up, others don't.

Echo has been known to go a couple hours before throwing it up, then again, she's also gone for minutes and seconds too.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

If things are going IN, they need to come out -- one way or the other. So if the dog is not feeling well, and hasn't pooped...

You didn't mention that, and how did you know your dog had a "stomach ache." I assume you gave it oatmeal thinking that would help. Generally, if a dog has an upset stomach, you don't want to keep putting food in it. But you specifically said "stomach ache."

Details????

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greyt_learner

Seems like about once a month, our girl gets up in the am, won't eat any food but grazes for a bit, and her tummy gurgles. She's perfectly normal in every other way, and she never pukes and always ready for dinner in the evening. No ill effects as far as I can see.

My Flashman was eating grass today but seems fine and ate his breakfast. I called him in and he came. He does this maybe once a year. Hope everything is fine with your babe. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

If things are going IN, they need to come out -- one way or the other. So if the dog is not feeling well, and hasn't pooped...

You didn't mention that, and how did you know your dog had a "stomach ache." I assume you gave it oatmeal thinking that would help. Generally, if a dog has an upset stomach, you don't want to keep putting food in it. But you specifically said "stomach ache."

Details????

Okay, you got me. He's not exactly clutching his stomach.... :P

He had some bad diarrhea possibly starting Weds evening. Usually I walk him around dinnertime and if he decides he needs to go out after that he whines at the door. (I've tried regular turn outs before bed, but he's too lazy and would rather hold it all night, so generally the walk is his final "elimination" of the day.) Wednesday around 9 he whined at the door, I let him out, and could tell he was pooping but didn't go out to investigate. Highly unusual, but hey, I don't expect 100% consistency.

Then Thursday morning he woke me up a little early and went out, and I'm not sure if he did anything, but he acted like he wanted to. About 10 minutes later, my husband let him out and he had diarrhea out there. I gave him a long walk about a half hour after that, at our usual time, and it was all liquid (sorry, but you asked for details!). He did that two or three times, and each time was more liquid than the one prior.

I gave hiim oatmeal instead of kibble for breakfast, and when I took him for his evening walk, he didn't poop at all. Probably b/c he was empty....? Then he refused the oatmeal for dinner and woke my husband up at 1130 at night with a grumbling stomach, demanding to get outside.

So we spent the night in and out, grazing on grass and lying out in the fresh air. (He never did barf it up, BTW) I walked him and his poop was still liquid and a little mucus-y and there wasn't much of it. He ate some oatmeal for breakfast again and now has horrible gas.

That's the details up to now. Should I not be feeding him anything? He was playful after our morning walk, and seems tired, but otherwise okay now...

ETA: Patricia - Thanks for the hugs, and normally when he starts grazing and we tell him to stop, he does. But not last night.... When DH told me he'd been eating all that grass, that's when I wanted to know how long it should take to come back up!

Edited by lms