Liver/spleen Cancer

Guest greymom1997

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest poopsie1

Donna will be bringing Phillie in at 2:15 this afternoon. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine how Donna must feel today because I am so scared!! Thanks,

Guest greymom1997

Phillie's ultrasound showed that he has a grapefruit sized tumor (unsure still if it is cancerous) on his liver and an enlarged lymph node in his chest... The prognosis as I understand it is grim. The surgery really isn't an option for me because of the high cost and the uncertainty of a quality of life afterward. I am devastated and heartbroken. Phillie has begun to have some seizuring episodes. Food seems to make him come out of it... thinking that is hypoglycemic...

I was thinking of contacting Dr. Cuoto for some advice... I am at a loss. Is there anything that can be done to help him or at least make him feel better?....

Donna

Guest JenFallon
Phillie's ultrasound showed that he has a grapefruit sized tumor (unsure still if it is cancerous) on his liver and an enlarged lymph node in his chest... The prognosis as I understand it is grim. The surgery really isn't an option for me because of the high cost and the uncertainty of a quality of life afterward. I am devastated and heartbroken. Phillie has begun to have some seizuring episodes. Food seems to make him come out of it... thinking that is hypoglycemic...

I was thinking of contacting Dr. Cuoto for some advice... I am at a loss. Is there anything that can be done to help him or at least make him feel better?....

Donna

I'm so sorry Donna. This is exactly what Grainne had. They removed a grapefruit size tumor (cancerous) from her Liver last December. We made a quick and hasty decision on the surgery but have no regrets. It was a difficult surgery for sure but she's a tough girl and came through it well. She's 12 1/2 now and doing well. They did not get clean margins so the cancer is bound to come back but at her age we chose to do no more. At this point I think something else will get her before the cancer does.

Phillie is young enough and would probably handle surgery well, but yes, it's expensive. She was in the hospital for 2 nights. I did contact Dr. Couto, the type of cancer Grainne has (hepatocellular carcinoma) is not common in greyhounds, he'd never seen a case in a greyhound before (though he's seen it in many other breeds). It doesn't respond to Chemo.

It is a tough call. From what I recall, if they can get it all out, the prognosis is pretty good. It depends on the type of cancer I suppose.

Please consider the folks at Angell Memorial that I PM'd you about earlier. Even if just for a second opinion and possibly a biopsy.

Grainne and I are leaving in about a half hour for Dewey and won't have e-mail access but Please call me if you want to chat about it for just vent. My cell # is 508-245-5749.

Hang in there Donna, I'll be thinking of you guys. :grouphug

Guest tricolorhounds

I'm sorry to hear Phillie's diagnosis. :grouphug

My 13 year old Lab Mix just had a grapefruit size spleen removed July 5th. It turned out to be only a hematoma, not cancer. We found it because she started having Petit Mal seizures. Vet thought the seizures might be related to the spleen issue but several days after surgery she started having them again. She sailed through the surgery and the recovery... Is currently on phenobarb for the seizures and is doing fine.

Guest greymom1997

Donna

I'm so sorry Donna. This is exactly what Grainne had. They removed a grapefruit size tumor (cancerous) from her Liver last December. We made a quick and hasty decision on the surgery but have no regrets. It was a difficult surgery for sure but she's a tough girl and came through it well. She's 12 1/2 now and doing well. They did not get clean margins so the cancer is bound to come back but at her age we chose to do no more. At this point I think something else will get her before the cancer does.

Phillie is young enough and would probably handle surgery well, but yes, it's expensive. She was in the hospital for 2 nights. I did contact Dr. Couto, the type of cancer Grainne has (hepatocellular carcinoma) is not common in greyhounds, he'd never seen a case in a greyhound before (though he's seen it in many other breeds). It doesn't respond to Chemo.

It is a tough call. From what I recall, if they can get it all out, the prognosis is pretty good. It depends on the type of cancer I suppose.

Please consider the folks at Angell Memorial that I PM'd you about earlier. Even if just for a second opinion and possibly a biopsy.

Grainne and I are leaving in about a half hour for Dewey and won't have e-mail access but Please call me if you want to chat about it for just vent. My cell # is 508-245-5749.

Thank you Jen... Unfortunately.. the surgey is just not something that I have the ability to handle financially right now. It saddens me to say that because if I could, I'd do it in a minute! I am so saddened...I feel like I am running underwater... I can't get anywhere and I am drowning at the same time!

Donna

Our vet said they could remove part of the liver if necessary and the dog would survive, providing there no cancer elsewhere. Unfortunately, Freddie's cancer is peppered all over the liver and his whole spleen is gone.

Will your vet consider taking small payments? Does he accept Care Credit? There have got to be some options for you out there. I would, however, contact Dr. C first for sure.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Yes please contact Dr. Couto. As I stated earlier my inlaws babe did very well...they removed the tumor from his liver and removed his spleen. Sending my prayers and gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greymom1997

I have renewed hope for my sweet Phillie... Phillie has had an anonymous angel come forward... :angel and the surgery will be an option after all. I have emailed Dr. Couto and am awaiting his response. It was Jen F's battle with Grainne and Lacey Laine's fight that made me feel as if I shouldn't give up... not yet! In the meantime though, I have weighed all the options of the various vets in the area that have the ability to perform this type of surgery ... tumor of the liver removal and biopsy.... I will probably opt for Tufts or Angell Memorial. Logistically Tufts will be better for me though...

If anyone can give me any further advice, I will as always greatly appreciate it.

Greyhound people are AMAZING! Thank you to all who have been praying for my sweet Phillie... God is hearing your prayers! Thank you a thousand times over !!!!

:goodluck

Donna

Just a thought here, but there is a credit card your vet should have information on that is interest free as long as the payments are kept up. What you pay monthly is determined by the total charge amount, and the period of time you choose to pay it off in. There is no interest unless you default on the payments. This might be an option for you.

http://www.carecredit.com/faqs.html

Donna

Thank you Jen... Unfortunately.. the surgey is just not something that I have the ability to handle financially right now. It saddens me to say that because if I could, I'd do it in a minute! I am so saddened...I feel like I am running underwater... I can't get anywhere and I am drowning at the same time!

Very glad to see an angel has turned up. That gives you and Phillie and his docs a little more breathing room to decide what's best. Sending prayers and some big hugs for the two of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tenderhearts

Still praying hard here for Phillie, and God bless the angel who has come into Phillie's life! :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope