Tj - 5 Mth Old Puppy With Broken Patella

Guest wmlcml6

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Patella break isn't common is it? I've never heard of a racing dog with that break (though not really all that "experienced" in broken legs! :lol ) I think the broken legs I've seen have always been hocks... How did he manage to break the patella... Man the only way I can think of is being in a full run and bumped and flipping...

Hope ya don't mind me asking... I'm just a nerd and have to know. :P

Hope he heals quick and gets back out there. :gh_run

Sending healing and comforting thoughts and prayers for poor TJ. The current hardware looks very uncomfortable. Hope today's visit leaves him with less metal and more comfortable with that leg.

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Patella break isn't common is it? I've never heard of a racing dog with that break (though not really all that "experienced" in broken legs! :lol ) I think the broken legs I've seen have always been hocks... How did he manage to break the patella... Man the only way I can think of is being in a full run and bumped and flipping...

Hope ya don't mind me asking... I'm just a nerd and have to know. :P

Hope he heals quick and gets back out there. :gh_run

I don't mind your question at all. This injury is very uncommon. My vet hadn't seen a break like this in 25 years. We don't know how he did it, but I have to assume that he was running full blast with his littermates and somehow either crashed into the dog house or one of the fence posts.

Edited by wmlcml6

TJ got his metal immobilizing hardware taken out on Wednesday. With the exception of Hope taking up the whole doggie bed and him crying at 1:30 this morning to let me know about it, he is sleeping much more comfortably. He even took off for a run yesterday morning (scared me half to death) by tucking his bad leg up. He was perfectly balanced and full of grace as he ran a big circle around the yard.

He's at the vet's office this morning for what I hope is the last follow up visit for at least a week. The vet got there at the same time I did, so he watched TJ walk around outside. He puts his foot down every now and then, and Dr. Goring was very pleased. He said if we can keep him from bearing full weight for 14 days (Tuesday of next week), he thinks we have won the battle and he will have full recovery and a chance to race. But he also said we won't know for sure for about 3 months because of scar tissue, potential stiffness, etc.

Thanks for keeping up with our sweet boy. :-)

Guest vahoundlover

I hope he heals without any problems! :goodluck I can only imagine trying to keep a puppy quiet. :blink: TJ tell little Hope, that big Hope says; QUIT hogging the bed. :shakefinger:lol

Edited by vahoundlover

Cathie, I was actually looking for news of TJ when I "discovered" MoMo's big girl name. It is wonderful news that he is feeling better and more comfortable and that the vet is so optimistic. :yay

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Poor TJ. I know he is uncomfortable, but it sure looks better than that ugly apparatus he was wearing. Thank goodness he is little and the healing won't take as long as it would for an older dog. Will be thinking about him.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.