Anal Glands Infected Again

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

Well, Teagan's infection is back. :( (Previous thread here). We finished the antibiotics last week (Clindamycin and Amoxicillin) and everything seemed fine, but Thursday evening there was some blood back there. I took him to the vet Friday afternoon, and the vet squeezed out more blood and pus. :(

Teegs has more antibiotics, Baytril this time. The vet wants to do surgery next week to remove his anal glands. :omg I'm freaking out a bit because I really can't afford that right now. I just spent almost $2,000 on my cat's surgery about a month ago.

The vet suggested adding more fiber, and I tried the canned pumpkin but Teagan would not eat it. :rolleyes: So he has been getting Benefiber added to his food (tasteless, dissolvable powder), and I stopped adding the puppy kibble I had been giving for months to bring up his weight (I read online that foods high in fat can contribute to anal gland problems). He has had soft stool for a while, and I figured that some of it has to do with all the antibiotics, so I also add some plain yogurt and a tablet containing Acidophilus. (Any specific probiotic brands you guys recommend?) I also dewormed him just in case.

But now I'm wondering if the Benefiber is causing more harm than good. Is fiber supposed to firm up the stool? I have always heard that, but I also hear that it prevents constipation. A dumb question maybe, but how can it do both? :unsure

Do you all think surgery is necessary? I had forgotten about the poultice info that someone posted for me, so I am looking into that now. What other things can we try? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

~Lindsay~

Well, Teagan's infection is back. :( (Previous thread here). We finished the antibiotics last week (Clindamycin and Amoxicillin) and everything seemed fine, but Thursday evening there was some blood back there. I took him to the vet Friday afternoon, and the vet squeezed out more blood and pus. :(

Do you all think surgery is necessary? I had forgotten about the poultice info that someone posted for me, so I am looking into that now. What other things can we try? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

~Lindsay~

If you're really up to try anything, I 'd go raw. Mac had these same problems. I spent OODLES at vet and the minute he went off the medicine, his problems would return. Vet was more than ready to do surgery, but I decided to do some research. I went raw 5 years ago and Mac has been perfect ever since. I believe he had an allergy or a sensitivity to grains and that caused soft, unformed stools. The soft stools fail to express the anal glands and :ohno anal gland infection.

It may be worth a try! Do some reading first. There are LOTS of raw feeders on this board.

Jan

Mac, the raw-fed wonder boy.

Guest needlenoselover

I was going to suggest the same thing. Go RAW!!!

When I was a kid, we had a JRT that had constant anal gland problems. They finally had to be rmoved. If my mom knew about feeding RAW, I can bet that poor pupper wouldn't have had such a yucky back end all the time!!!

If he'll eat raw, I'd try it, especially before doing surgery. He'll need another round of antibiotics.

Bravo! should be available in your area which is premade both with bone and without if you are not comfortable with buying and feeding fromt he grocery store or butcher. You can go to the Bones2Go website (there are here in Houston) and email with questions. They are very good about helping people switch over. She carries all different kinds of raw and is knowledgable.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Yes, fiber can do both (it's insoluble and adds bulk to whatever is in the digestive system). I wouldn't be surprised if the problems are because of the loose stool, which is unable to express his glands. Then again, since now there is blood coming out and an infection, it may not help as much as we'd like, but I sure would try it.

The reason that raw helps is because for most dogs it firms up their stools (by excluding whatever was causing them loose stools), and also because bone has a stool hardening effect. You could try giving a few RMBs to see if that helps a bit, if you're not ready to go all raw. Good luck!

Did your vet try to infuse (pack) the anal glands with animax or otomax first? Usually between the packing and oral antibiotics the infection becomes resolved. Surgery most certainly be performed but, ask your vet if he/she is going to do one at a time rather than do both at once--that would reduce the chance of an incontinence issue. :blink:

Guest LindsaySF
You could try giving a few RMBs to see if that helps a bit, if you're not ready to go all raw. Good luck!

I'm willing to try this. How much bone is too much?

Did your vet try to infuse (pack) the anal glands with animax or otomax first? Usually between the packing and oral antibiotics the infection becomes resolved. Surgery most certainly be performed but, ask your vet if he/she is going to do one at a time rather than do both at once--that would reduce the chance of an incontinence issue. :blink:

She only expressed the glands and gave oral antibiotics. She did not pack the glands with anything. Should I suggest that? Also, it is only his right anal gland that is getting infected, the left one is fine. Can they remove one and not the other?

~Lindsay~

Has Teagan had turkey necks or anything like that before? You might want to try one of those, a chicken leg quarter or chicken back - just one for now, to see how he does.

Guest Ladyluther

I am sorry that you all are having such a problem..My Luther kept getting anal infections and needed them expressed quite often..This was a few years ago. My vet suggested an anal "wash" of antibiotics (not sure if that is the exact term they used)- then a course of oral antibiotics. The dog needs to be sedated because the process goes way up there; but the benefit is that they are able to feel around for any fissures, growths or unusual thingies. And of course, it is a lot less than surgery.

Since Luther had the procedure, he has had the most beautiful and functioning anal glands of any Greyhound I know!!

Might be worth it to check this out...good luck to the both of you!

Guest ScarlettsMom
Also, it is only his right anal gland that is getting infected, the left one is fine. Can they remove one and not the other?

~Lindsay~

Tawnie's anal gland kept getting infected and she had the right one removed. A year later the left one kept getting infected and then we had that removed as well. That was almost two years ago and she's been fine living "anal-gland free" :P

Guest LindsaySF
I am sorry that you all are having such a problem..My Luther kept getting anal infections and needed them expressed quite often..This was a few years ago. My vet suggested an anal "wash" of antibiotics (not sure if that is the exact term they used)- then a course of oral antibiotics. The dog needs to be sedated because the process goes way up there; but the benefit is that they are able to feel around for any fissures, growths or unusual thingies. And of course, it is a lot less than surgery.

Since Luther had the procedure, he has had the most beautiful and functioning anal glands of any Greyhound I know!!

Might be worth it to check this out...good luck to the both of you!

I will ask my vet about this. On the one hand, I'd like to do something less invasive than surgery. But on the other hand, I don't want to keep prolonging this if removing the glands will stop the problems. :dunno

~Lindsay~

Guest LindsaySF

The glands are still infected. :( Teagan is wearing his poop cup muzzle all the time now, so he isn't licking it and nothing is coming out. But it is still swollen and not normal looking down there. I'm going to have the vet express them tomorrow and I will talk to her about my options from this point. I know she wants to do surgery, but I'm hesitant to do something that invasive.

The soft stool is worrying me now. Teagan has had all the fiber you can imagine, and he's had a bone every night this week also. Still soft stool! <_< That should have changed by now right?

On a completely superficial note, this anal gland problem is interfering with Dewey! :lol I don't want to bring Teegs if he's not 100% (though he is still acting fine), and if we do surgery he probably won't be recovered by then. Hmmm, what to do, what to do....

~Lindsay~

What kind of bones has he had? The best bones to firm up would be raw turkey necks fed daily, if you are willing to try raw. Poor guy has got to be miserable.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Sort of good news tonight. I saw a different vet at the practice and I asked what else could be done before surgery. She expressed the glands and then infused them with an antibiotic ointment. Teegs needs to have this done twice more, and then hopefully the infection will have cleared up. She said that oral antibiotics rarely work for her, and she prefers to infuse the glands a few times. After that surgery will be considered.

Next Wednesday Teagan is going to be a 'teaching case' for the other vets there on how to infuse anal glands.

I asked about the soft poop, and she said it is normal because he has been on so many antibiotics, and not to worry. To the best of my recollection, the soft stool started after the antibiotics began. If it doesn't clear up once the antibiotics are done then I will worry.

Thanks everyone for the advice! :)

~Lindsay~

Wouldn't worry too much about stools being soft until that infection is cleared up. Fingers crossed for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've heard that sometimes the only thing that really solves a recurring problem is to have the surgery. If it will ease you mind a bit, Cutie had an anal gland that burst. It was swollen first thing in the morning, I made a vet appointment and before noon it had burst. So it pretty much ended up like what they would do with the surgery. She recovered quickly and has not had any problems since.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LindsaySF

Just a little update on Teagan: His anal glands are doing much better. :)

Today was his 3rd infusion of antibiotic ointment into the glands (once per week). There was still a little bit of pus when the vet expressed them, but most of the discharge was the antibiotic ointment from last time. Hopefully this time next week it will be ALL ointment that comes out, and no pus! :goodluck If it is still infected next week, he probably needs the surgery. :(

He is still acting fine, and barely licking back there at all. So we are leaving for Dewey on Friday morning! :D

~Lindsay~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grey_dreams

I'm bumping this thread, hoping for an update. How is Teagan doing after the packing treatments?

My poor baby Zuki has an infected anal gland :( . I noticed a problem yesterday afternoon and took him right to the vet. The vet expressed both glands, the left one was bloody and infected. The vet washed out both glands with betadine and then packed them with an antibiotic ointment. We have an appointment to go back next week to repeat the expression, washing and packing. Today I noticed that when he pooed it seemed to hurt, and he left his tail up for a few minutes. Also, he had some pee leaking while he was sleeping, that's never happened before. I wanted to take him back to the vet today, but they are booked solid. I will be able to get him in tomorrow afternoon. Does that sound ok, to wait till tomorrow? Thanks in advance, for any advice that anyone can give me.