Peeing In Her Sleep?

Guest brandi007

Guest brandi007

Hi There!

I've got a 7 year old female greyhound named Sophie that I've had for about a year, she's a nice calm dog but can be a bit skittish in certain situations. When she was in her foster home she had a tendancy to wet her bed when she was sleeping, they tested her for UTI but it came back negative, she's also done this at my house about 4 times now. When I initially got her she did it the first time I left her alone for a long period of time and then the second time she did it when I brought my new guy into the family. I was chalking it up to stress until recently when she wet her bed twice for no reason that I can figure out. I don't even think she realizes she's doing it, as sometimes I find her still sleeping - but in a bed full of urine. It's not her fault really and I know she's not meaning to do it (she's excellent with potty time) but it could be a problem for my duvet and mattress and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? It's not something that I can't deal with as it's not everyday or anything but i would love to nip it in the butt before she destroys my bed/duvet.

I'm going to ask about it when I take her in for a check-up, but with the initial UTI tests coming back as negative initially, i'm not really sure what avenue to persue.

Thanks so much for reading!

-Brandi, Sophie & Foxy

Guest jade1046

It could be female incontinence. My Minnie had a similar problem this past year and she's just six years old. She would wet her bed just lying there fully awake right after coming in from going pee outside. She seemed to have no idea she had done it. She's now on 25 mg of Proin twice a day and we haven't had a wet bed since. The medication is inexpensive and it's a chewable tablet, so it was an easy solution to a very commom problem. I'm sure other GTers can elaborate on this subject.

it could be incontinence, but before I gave any medication for that, I would ask the vet to give her a week's worth of antibiotics just in case it's a low grade UTI that isn't showing up in the testing. I've done that for my angel Bailey before, and it worked :) I would much rather give a weeks worth of antibiotics then put her on incontinence medicine long term...

not all dogs react well to the incontinence medicine

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest greytexplorer

yep, what Jade1046 said.

My Mandy has to deal with that, too. Vet said that it's common in broodies. Was Sophie a mama? If so, incontinence is very likely to be the problem.

Good luck!

Guest brandi007

Wow, you guys rock - excellent information allready!

And no...Sophie wasn't a momma - she wasn't very good at racing dispite her "Fast Track Train" name. She's my little princess bounce :)

Edited by brandi007

Guest minzenon

My boy was given a course of sinus tablets (human stuff) for his incontinence. He only had to use it for a short time - 4 days and he has only had 1 relapse since which we put him back on the tablets for another 3 days. Its over the counter medicine which contains pseudoephedrin one tablet twice a day, same dose as for a human but with dogs it works on the central nervous system which in turn controls the bladder. They have been having great success with this medication in treating spay incontinence in younger females but it actually worked very well on my old boy too.

How amazing...we are going through the same issue with our grey, Gracey. She has peed in her sleep maybe 5-6 times in the past few months. Same thing as Sophie, in that Gracey is asleep and we believe she doesn't even know it's happening. Gracey is only 4 and wasn't a brood after racing.

We discussed a few options with our vet. He was great about explaining the 2 typical medications for "spay incontinence". Gracey is on diethylstilbestrol (DES) 1mg twice a week. Our group director wasn't too thrilled about the DES medication, but the vet thought it was the right choice for us. DES is known to cause some side effects, but so is the other medication. Gracey seems to be just fine...no sign of any problems so far. She's been on the medication for about 2 months or so.

Is it frustrating. One "incident" happened this week. I woke up to find a huge puddle next to me. :blink: Trying to get ready for work and dealing with stripping the bed, etc. was tough.

Good Luck. Let us know how things go.

Guest TBSFlame

Tessie has does this a few times since she has gotten older (almost 12). I have a waterproof mattress pad on my bed but I have recently taken my bed back. They dig my bed into a mess so I now make up the bed while they are eating breakfast and cover it with those plastic carpet runners (with the pointy things up). It looks funny but they no longer get on the bed. lol. At night Star is the only dog invited to sleep with me. Tessie is just sleeping so sound these days and she just doesn't always wake up.

I been going through this with Angel off and on for years. We tried PPH but it made her sick. Its recently started up again so I'm going to have the vet re-evaluate what we can do. Right now she's wearing disposable diapers covered with the cute panties that Sheila makes!

I have a waterproof mattress pad on my bed but I have recently taken my bed back.

I was also going to suggest a waterproof mattress pad. My Griffin (cat) had a cold and wet the bed a couple of times a few years back. I found that not all waterproof mattress pads are nasty and plasticy-crinkle-sounding things. I have a very soft and cottony one on my bed that works wonders for preserving my mattress from future accidents. (Not that my cat has ever wet the bed again, but it never hurts to be prepared.)

I don't know anything about medication. But I know from working in a psych hospital, that sometimes bed-wetting humans can solve the problem if you wake them up and let them potty each night approximately one hour after they initially fall asleep. For example if Johnny-bed-wetter falls asleep at 9:00pm, then we would wake him and invite him to use the potty at 10:00pm. Incidentally, this also helps alleviate night terrors and sleepwalking. However it doesn't work to just keep them up an hour later. It has something to do with circadian rhythms and REM sleep. Sorry, not very medical but might work from a folk-remedy standpoint.

Guest brandi007

Thanks so much for everyones suggestions.

I have considered buying a pee-pad for my mattress but it's my duvet I'm really worried about. I've also considered wrapping all the dog beds in garbage bags and then putting the covers on them as the covers are washable and the beds are not. It's very inconsistant when she has her accidents, sometimes it's early in the morning, sometimes mid-day and sometimes at night, also they've been in different areas of the house - twice on the upstairs dog bed, once on the dog bed in the main room and twice on my bed. I make sure they go pee in the morning, when I get home, a few times during the night and then once before they goto bed, they're real angels about it and are usually super excited for pee pee time, but she's lost bladder control like an hour after she goes pee which is weird because she can hold it all day from like 7:30 am - 4:30 almost everyday and only tends to do it in her sleep. Where other mornings I wake up to her barking in my face because she has to go to the bathroom....

I'm really relieved to hear I'm not the only one with this problem....and the part about the pretty panties made me laugh! I"m definately going to talk to my vet about medication for it, and maybe do some low key antibiotics just to make sure it's not an infection dispite her tests coming back negative for UTI.

Is there any kind of more natural vitamin or something I can give to her? Hearing about that stroke was pretty scary and sad :(

Thanks so much again!

Edited by brandi007