Urgent Question For Adopter-

Guest trevdog

Yes, keep us posted. Sorry you had to find the forum this way, it seems that's how many of us find it though.

Sending lots of prayers to Peter.....

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peter,

Can I strongly suggest that you start the doxy treatment as others have suggested while you wait? A lepto test takes nearly a week to get back and the dog will be gone by then. Same thing can happen with TBDs. The only TBD of the main ones that isn't treated by doxy is babesia, which requires imidocarb (or imizol, same thing, different name) and that's not something you'd just want to start treatment with, especially when the dog is already pretty ill, but doxy, aside from the possibility of some normal antibiotic side effects (stomach upset mainly) generally doesn't cause problems. Your vet could confirm whether it could safely be given along with the current meds (not sure about the Baytril in particular since it's also an antibiotic that can cause stomach upset - some pepcid AC might help with that though).

Also, do make sure your vet reaches someone at OSU. You might want to also email them all of the information if the vet doesn't reach someone by phone immediately. You'll want to include any abnormal lab results (and the reference ranges) or fax a copy of those over, as well as list off everything you've done so far.

I'll keep your boy in my thoughts this weekend. Do keep us posted!

Jen

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest paulamariez

This sounds very similar to what happened to my Tiger last year. He was attacked by two dogs and taken to the E-vet. The gave him Rimadyl for his pain and within 24 hours of taking the Rimadyl, he started peeing pure blood and his liver and kidney values were getting bad. We (not the vet) noted that all this started after taking the Rimadyl, while the vet initially attributed it to shock from the attack. They said they sometimes see this in dogs that have been hit by a car. We insisted that they stop the Rimadyl and they flushed Tiger's kidneys with IV solution for like two days and little by little, the blood in his pee started dissipating and his kidney and liver values started going back to normal. I would definitely look at the possibility that it could be from a medication. Tiger now has a big note on his file "Allergic to Rimadyl!". After all was said and done, the vet now believes Tiger's reaction was from the Rimadyl. I did a little research on this medication and have found that this is a reaction that some dogs have had from it. So, please look into your hound's medications! My prayers, love and light go out to you both and lots of doggie kisses from my three boys! Here's hoping and praying for a complete recovery!

Guest needlenosemom

Medications are ok. But needs a urinalysis if blood in the urine. Could be a UTI. Did he get into any kind of food lying around?? Yellow gums could be jaundice-liver related issues. A bile acid test would also be good to get. My hound had liver disease @ age of 2 1/2 and died at age 3. Prayers to you.

Guest GreyDad

Hi all - Peter's dad here again.

Turns out it was NOT blood in his urine - just very dark urine due to the jaundice.

Vet is still at the office and will be calling us soon for an update, which will end up here...

We have wracked our brains trying to think about what he could have gotten into, and nothing has changed. He hasn't been anywhere outside of home and walks, we never treat his fenced section of yard (the whole backyard, that is) with fertilizer or weed killer or anything else. We haven't changed the laundry detergent that we wash his bed with, and no food is ever left lying around in our house (we had a hershey's kiss theft by Peter a couple years ago that was followed up by a peroxide cocktail, which he wasn't too happy about - we all learned our lesson there). We have a metal garbage can with a lid, so he can't get in there...

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers... it's been a rough day for our poor doggie, and for us...

Guest GreyDad

Another update...

The vet started Peter on doxy earlier today, so he's on it.

The vet said that he is about the same - no better, but no worse, either. He's not eating, but is IV'd with a supplement. She is going to go in to the office in the morning and do all his bloodwork again to see where everything is, and then will give us a call when she has some information. She is also on-call for tonight, and will call us at any time (at our insistance) if anything changes (he's on 24 hour monitoring). She said that he is resting comfortably and isn't showing any signs of pain or soreness, which is a huge relief - what he's going through is bad enough... thank goodness there is no pain.

It's been a gut wrenching day, but he's still with us...

I'll update again in the morning.

Please keep your fingers crossed for our wonderful boy...

Edited by GreyDad

Guest MiniandMerry

Have you checked the yard for any wild (poisonous) mushrooms? We've had quite a few of them pop up in our back yard this year-we're in Ohio. Ingestion of some varieties is potentially damaging to the liver.

Guest longdogs

Just wishing you luck. It sounds serious to me but there are too many possible causes to make any suggestions, other than to encourage your vet to do tests speedily.

As said before...I would take him to OSU.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Any small animals get into your backyard? And would he eat them?

We had a local dog that had a similar brush with death after eating a mouse that had most likely eaten a mouse/rat poison somewhere else...

What about someone putting something like rat poison in your yard? A friend of mine had a shared yard with a neighbor who didn't care for her pups and we're almost positive he got sick due to rat poison that they put out. Horrible though, but could happen nonetheless.

It sounds like at this point though your vet is doing everything she can. Glad to hear he's being monitored 24/7 - keep us posted! Still wishing good thoughts for you guys.

Jen

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GreyDad

Good morning, all -

We talked to the vet this morning, and we're getting ready to go visit Peter right now...

The vet said that his glucose is up to 82 from 40 yesterday, and that's after reducing the dextrose drip, so she said that is an indication of somewhat improved liver function. 82 is still low, but low in the "normal" range. Also, another stat (I didn't write it down - something phosphate or similar) that has to do with bile blockage/production is down from 1200 to 600 (which she said is still high, but much better). She said that his bilirubin is up just a tiny bit, which is not good, but she said that is fairly normal even if a dog is getting better... it gets a little worse before it gets better. His kidney enzymes are up a bit, which isn't good, but they aren't significantly worse than before. They are pumping him full as much fluids as they can.

She said that based on his bloodwork she has a little more hope of him pulling through this than she did yesterday, but that he's not significantly better (or worse) at this point. She said that she would expect to see some significant improvement by Monday or Tuesday if the therapy is working.

We thank you all for your thoughts and prayers (and suggestions) - you can't imagine how much it means to us...

Guest GreyDad

About the rat poison / backyard stuff -

There are no mushrooms in our yard at all (we've had no rain!), unless they are very very tiny. I don't ever put down treatments in the backyard (fertilizer, bugspray, weedkiller, nothing) because that's his domain. We don't put down rat poison at all, and he's not the type to care much about other animals. He doesn't give a 2nd glance to squirrels, cats, chipmunks, rabbits, or mice, so I don't think he would have eaten anything, but I suppose it's possible. I need to check with the neighbors to see if they have put down anything in their yards that might have washed into ours... thank you for the suggestion... we're good friends with all of our neighbors, and our doggie is so quiet that no one could hear him (other than the jingling collar while he's running), so I can't imagine anyone doing anything intentionally...