Summer Itchies

Guest SusanP

Every Sept-October, Dr. Doug gets the itchies. The vet has him on Benedryl, but he's still pretty itchy. What else can I do? I have tried frequent bathing with a soapless dog shampoo from the vet, but it didn't really change anything. Are there shampoos out there that really help with allergy season itchies? Would bathing him in that Aveeno oatmeal stuff help? Last summer we tried Vitamin E in addition to Benedryl and didn't notice any real difference. He doesn't spend much time outside, and I'm keeping windows closed and AC on for both his and my allergies. (We both start in at the same time, right when the ragweed pollinates...)

What has worked for you guys?

Um, I mean for your dogs? :lol

Edited by SusanP

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'll be interested in seeing the responses too because my foster boy Luau is very itchy and Benedryl and medicated shampoo don't seem to be helping.

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

We saw our vet for the itchiness last week, with the medicated shampoo doing wonders for the girls who will be bathed weekly now, if not more....but my big boy no such luck. What I did last year that seems to be helping once again this year is I shut up the house (use AC when hot), and put on the allergen remover I bought at Target last January when we had a flare-up. My dogs have been tested, are known to have environmental allergies and the only way I've been able to manage it is with the hepa filter system on our air/allergen remover. Don't need the ion infuser type, just a good hepa filtration system to pull the allergens out of the air.

If we have an extended outdoor event, my pups get a generic Benadryl before it as well as once we get home. Never on an empty tummy.

Before I got the allergen remover, I also bought a rug shampooer, and a new vacuum with better filtering system, as well as changed their diet to raw in hopes to beef-up their immune system. When all is said and done (allergy to dust mites, molds too but then so do I!), it was the allergen remover product that worked, runs 24 hours a day, set up next to his kennel (room!), which is very cushy and door always open, and now I'm so grateful he always wants to do his serious sleeping in there because I can have the allergen remover next to his kennel.

I use the allergen-free soaps for their bedding, blah, blah, blah, but I just didn't see me giving the dog shots for a seasonal situation. I think we all benefit from the better vacuum cleaner, rug shampooer, and air filtration system. I would go that route if you can before spending hundreds on giving shots. At least that is what works for us so far....Good luck. Can be so frustrating! :gh_face Carole

Carla and Mr. Skorch are fine, but June Bug is very itchy. I would like to give the Benedryl a try. Do you only give one? She weighs around 63 lbs.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

I am fit to be tied about my JRT, Sydney. Every summer, she gets awful itchies - she licks her paws almost nonstop, scratches constantly and even scrubs her eyes with her paws. We have tried everything. The past few days, her eyes look so washed out and her left lip is swollen from all the itching. She has withdrawn so much and of course, no longer comes to the barn to do chores in the mornings and evenings. She does fine on prednisone, but after she is tapered off it, we are back to square one. Have tried Beneydril(sp) children's tabs, then the spray on. The vets are as confounded as I am. It is seasonal, as she is fine the rest of the year. If anyone can give me some ideas, I would be so grateful and so would Syd!!

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Guest VirginiaGreys

Ask your vets about Genesis topical spray. Snowie had some itchy places on her tummy last year and it did the trick. Just follow the directions by the vet if they prescribe it.

Snowie also was given it when her food allergies kicked in high gear this summer. With Genesis we were able to give her relief and now she's healing nicely.

Guest Redrabbit

Three years ago Buster needed a cortisone shot for his itches.

The vet said to start giving him 2 Benedryl tablets at each meal (2 x 2) beginning in July.

If we wait until the itches start then its too late he says.

Last year and this year have been much much better.

post-2807-1188954165.gif

Ask your vets about Genesis topical spray. Snowie had some itchy places on her tummy last year and it did the trick. Just follow the directions by the vet if they prescribe it.

Snowie also was given it when her food allergies kicked in high gear this summer. With Genesis we were able to give her relief and now she's healing nicely.

Thanks for the advice, but we tried that last year and it didn't help!

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Guest CygnetC

I've found Acidophilis to make a bit of a dent in the itchies (plus it is a great all around supplement anyway). You have to buy it in a health food store and get the refrigerated kind, not the kind on the shelf (not as active). Give your dog the adult human dosage. Within a couple of days I was seeing a difference, and after a month it was like a totally different dog! Some dogs take a little longer to get it's effects, and I'm sure if your boy has severe allergies it might take a while, but like I said it's a good supplement to give anyway.

I also use FidoDerm spray which has Aloe and Calendula to spray on the itchies to cool them down.

Guest Jennifer4719

I use TemarilP for Honey's seasonal spring allergies. It is a strong antihistamine and steroid combination. This year when I knew her allergies would start, I started her on one pill a day and that was enough to keep her itching to a minimum. In the past she would scratch her eyes and chew her paws and legs until they bled. I think her allergies coincide with the dandelions. I have never had her tested because her allergies only last from April-June and the vet said it isn't worth the expense of the tests since her allergies are only a few months of the year.