Possible Osteosarcoma -or What Else Could It Be?

Guest reesemurphy

Guest reesemurphy

My 12 year old grey Bonnie has been limping and lame since early June. Original X-rays did not show any cancer. She did well for a short time with some meds, but has gradually gotten worse. I have her on Rimadyl 75 twice a day, and she is still painful and limping - refusing to put any weight on her front leg. Her shoulder appears "swollen" and is warm to the touch. The doctor originally thought she possibly had some sort of torn ligament or soft tissue injury, but after 3 months I would think she would be feeling better.

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow and I am planning on having more x-rays taken. I am thinking that maybe the initial set of x-rays did not pick up the cancer. I am thinking that after 3 months, if it is cancer, it should show up.

I read all the info posted online for osteosarcoma - and I read the options. I hate to see her suffer, but I love her dearly and can't bear the thought of losing her. I know that if tomorrows tests come back bad I am going to be faced with some decisions.

Best case scenario...its NOT osteo...does anyone know of anything else that could be causing her so much pain? Could a torn ligament cause the same type of symptoms...or would a soft tissue injury heal by now?

Comments welcome....glad I found this forum...I don't want to go through this alone.

Teresa

Bonnie - 12 year old greyhound

Morgan - 3 year old Basset hound

I'm so sorry you are facing this. I went through a similar situation late last fall with my 5 year old grey. The xray was suspicious but the biopsy came back "clean". Unfortunately it did turn out to be OS - I got my definitive diagnosis from Dr. Couto. I sent my xrays to him. Anyway, if my memory is correct, there is/are some tick borne diseases that can look like OS. I can't remember what it is though. I know someone here will be able to tell you the name. Also, another greyt place to get medical info is Circle of Greys yahoo group. They were wonderful when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with Lucky (and equally wonderful when I was dealing with her OS). I don't have the address here but will get it for you if you want it.

Keeping fingers and paws crossed that your pup doesn't have OS.

Good luck!

Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

As you have probably read on my posts about Bodie, Bodie was diagnosed with osteo and we are midway through treatment. Bodie's osteo showed up on the x-ray - even I could see it. However, if nothing shows up on your new set of x-rays, I would definitely send them to Dr. Couto and ask his opinion. If anyone can tell whether it is osteo, it would be him. And if it's not osteo, he would know what direction to send you for more testing.

This is the most difficult thing I have ever gone through with a beloved pet. I frankly couldn't have done it without the support of this group and Circle of Grey. Just Google Circle of Grey and they will come up. It is easy to register and post there, also.

I wish you the best of luck and hope it isn't osteo. Keep us posted on what happens.

With my greys, the first x-ray post limping was iffy. Second x-ray a month later showed the bone destruction and such. :( If your vet can take a digital x-ray, you could email it to Dr. Couto and ask his advice. Arthritis could be causing these symptoms but should show up on an x-ray. Good pain management is critical. See if you can get a second medication like Tramadol to help keep your girlie comfortable. Keeping Bonnie in my prayers... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending prayers for Bonnie. :hope

Dr. Couto is at OSU, contact info...

Ohio State University

greyosu@osu.edu

(614)292-3551

(614)292-6464 fax

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Yup.... it happens, but, like with people, it's usually in pups and adolescent dogs (my Louis had a whopper of an osteomyelitis at age 18 months... it's what brought him to me). His x-rays looked a whole lot like osteosarcoma, with the exception of the starburst pattern that osteo lesions tend to have. Come to think of it, none of the bone infection hounds that I've fostered (and there have been quite a few) have had that pattern, but not all osteo lesions do, either.

Lynn

I saw on Circle of Grey this afternoon that Bonnie has definitely been diagnosed with osteo. My heart goes out to you. I know the awful feeling in the pit of your stomach, when you get the news. My Bodie was only seven when we got the news, so I opted for treatment, but had he been the age of your Bonnie, I would have done exactly the same thing you are doing. Love her, spoil her, and give her painkillers to ease her way. You might want to email Dr. Couto for a recommendation of a good combination of painkillers. He, or someone at the OSU greyhound clinic, will answer. I remember Dr. Couto once saying that greyhounds did not react well to some painkillers. I know that tramadol is good and previcox, but there are probably other more powerful combinations that will make her comfortable. If you have any questions, ask. There is always someone who can help and if the group doesn't know the answer, they probably know someone to refer you to. I know that they have been of enormous help to me.

Guest reesemurphy

Yes, the diagnosis I got today for Bonnie is advanced osteosarcoma of the humerus. It was extremely evident on the x-rays - and I am not even trained to see it, I just looked at all the other x-rays online that were posted and hers were really bad. It has attacked quite a bit of the humeral head, and it is traveling downward on her leg bone. She has been crying off and on a bit tonight when she is not laying and resting. I think she "knows" that something is wrong now...probably because I have been crying off and on and loving on her so much.

I am relieved to actually have a diagnosis after months of not knowing. I am just suprised at how fast this cancer explodes...a clean x-ray in the beginning of June, and now at such an advanced state.

I call Bonnie my "special needs" dog. She is a major counter surfer, and learned from an early age how to actually open my refrigerator and sneak out food. She has been 100% healthy since day one, and has never even vomitted in the past - despite her over zealous eating behaviours! I told her tonight that God knew she needed a mom who could handle her antics, and he gave her to me because she was so special. I am blessed to have had her for 10.5 years! I will truly miss her.

I think I will let her do some plate licking, and if my hubby is home to lift her into the van I will take her on some rides in the car this week as long as she isn't too painful. Other than that, I am off to share my bed with my hound for as many more nights as I possibly can.

Thanks for the support everyone...

Teresa

Bonnie 12 yrs. old

I am so sorry for the diagnosis. Treat each day that you have with her as a special day.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Sending gentle hugs.

I'm sorry the diagnosis wasn't better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.