Just Found My Lost Dog

Guest sparkhawk

Guest sparkhawk

My boy has been lost for 2 weeks. I just got him back today. He has open sores on a few of his pads. I do not want to bandage his feet since he just went through a VERY stressful time!!!!! That might add to it. Anyways I was wondering if any of you have an idea of what I might try. Liquid bandage? Thoughts? If you want the missing dog and rescue story it's under Lost grey Marion Ia in the amber alert section.

Guest Tenderhearts

Please don't apply liquid bandage. I used some of that on myself and it burns.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to make suggestions as I've never dealt with raw feet.

It probably would make him feel better to have his feet bandaged, bandaging will provide some padding for him to walk on too. I would make sure the wounds are really clean and then bandage with some antibiotic ointment.

Ultimately it would probably be best to have him thoroughly checked out by your vet to rule out any other injuries that he might have suffered while being out.

Glad to hear your baby is back :yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Easiest is, clean with very mild soap and water (or dilute Nolvasan solution), gently pat dry. If they're not too oozy, you can just slip on some thick baby socks and put a little vetwrap or masking tape around the ankle to help them stay on. Might be soothing to soak in Epsom salts solution 10-15 minutes once or twice a day (use a wet washcloth and plastic bag for each foot, so he doesn't have to stand up for this).

If they are oozy, get some nonstick gauze pads and cut them @ the shape of the bottom of his foot. Smear a little neosporin or similar on the gauze pad. Place on bottom of foot. Wrap lightly with gauze and vetwrap, then the baby sock.

Only trouble with wrapping is, gotta keep the wrap clean and dry, so I don't do it unless the foot is looking ugly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tigerlily

i would make him as comfortable as possible and get him to the vet first thing in the morning..after being loose for 2 weeks he needs checked over and the vet needs to see his feet and do what is necessary for them.. so glad you got him back home with you!

The only thing I can add to what Batmom has to say is after you put the baby socks on, put a bit of tape around the sock, maybe 1" from the top. Then fold the edge down over the tape so they can't get to it.

Not, I suppose, that he'll be in any mood to go chewing at it! He's probably tired from his adventure. Good to hear he's back!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I agree with Batmom's plan. I've found baby socks to work very well for owie feet. Be sure to get the ones which have a non-slip sole. Neosporin, bacitracin -- I really like silvadene for this, too.

Apollo looks very much like Gigi did when she was found. Some of her wounds were so necrotic looking that we were sure she would need surgical debridement, but the surgeon felt she would heal well without it, and indeed she did. I used silvadene on her wounds, per the vet's recommendation, and she healed remarkably fast.

One thing that was stressed to me: though Gigi was famished and emaciated, she was fed small meals every few hours, and not allowed to gorge on a full-sized meal. She was initially on canned AD, which is really yummy and calorie-dense, and ate a can of this every 3-4 hrs, while her shrunken stomach gradually stretched and accommodated regular-sized meals. She put on weight quickly with this regimen.

Don't be surprised if Apollo seems a little dazed and out-of-sorts. I don't think Gigi realized she was home until about a week had passed. But the old Apollo will show up soon, and then you'll be able to stop pinching yourself to see if he's really home or if you're just dreaming. :)

I'm very happy for all of you. congratualtions.gif

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest greytexplorer

I was also thinking about maybe giving him some pain meds???

Coated aspirin can be gotten at your grocery store or pharmacy. Give him one tablet.

Or Metacam from the vet, if you happen to have any on hand.

When my feet hurt, I reach for the aspirin first. Then the foot soak/bandages/creams/etc.

Open sores on feet sound painful to me, and I know I can't sleep/rest without some kind of pain med.

Just a thought.

:kiss2 to your baby. So glad he's back home, safe and sound!!!!

I know you are very happy and relieved to get him back. :)

I agree with the Neosporin and baby socks, and small meals every 3-4 hours. I would get him to the vet for a complete physical and bloodwork.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Clean them in a mild soap solution and dry them good (pat only!)

Apply neosporin and cut the old sanitary pads (you know, the kind that are very thick) to fit inside of a baby sock. Put the sanitary in the bottom of a baby sock (the adhesive side will hold it in place)

the sanitary pad will provide cushion and absorbancy until you can get your pupper to the vet for a thorough check.

If you go to change the sock and pad and the pad sticks, remove the sock and soak the padded foot in warm soapy water, the pad will release from the foot without removing any of the good scabbing tissue.

Welcome home!

edit: Also wanted to add and echo Houndznigz sentiments about feeding small meals. Letting him gorge could lead to insulin shock because he's been without regular meals for a while, so small meals at regular intervals are best.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest gretzky
Easiest is, clean with very mild soap and water (or dilute Nolvasan solution), gently pat dry. If they're not too oozy, you can just slip on some thick baby socks and put a little vetwrap or masking tape around the ankle to help them stay on. Might be soothing to soak in Epsom salts solution 10-15 minutes once or twice a day (use a wet washcloth and plastic bag for each foot, so he doesn't have to stand up for this).

If they are oozy, get some nonstick gauze pads and cut them @ the shape of the bottom of his foot. Smear a little neosporin or similar on the gauze pad. Place on bottom of foot. Wrap lightly with gauze and vetwrap, then the baby sock.

Only trouble with wrapping is, gotta keep the wrap clean and dry, so I don't do it unless the foot is looking ugly.

Torn pads were Wonders' only problem when she was found after only 4 days in January. We went right to the vet and he said just what Batmom said about the Nolvasan or mild soap. We did the soaking route and patted dry. He told us to wait up to 10 minutes to be sure they were dry before smearing them with Neosporin. We washed and reapplied the Neosporin 3 times a day. He didn't want them to be wrapped but the baby socks sounds like a good idea for going out. For the first 2 days she wouldn't stand or walk. Dh had to carry her outside and she was in obvious pain on the grass(wish I had known about the baby socks then). We continued this for 10 days and that was it, even though there was still some that looked slightly raw he said it was long enough and they needed to start getting tough again.

One thing that was stressed to me: though Gigi was famished and emaciated, she was fed small meals every few hours, and not allowed to gorge on a full-sized meal. She was initially on canned AD, which is really yummy and calorie-dense, and ate a can of this every 3-4 hrs, while her shrunken stomach gradually stretched and accommodated regular-sized meals. She put on weight quickly with this regimen.

Don't be surprised if Apollo seems a little dazed and out-of-sorts. I don't think Gigi realized she was home until about a week had passed. But the old Apollo will show up soon, and then you'll be able to stop pinching yourself to see if he's really home or if you're just dreaming. :)

I'm very happy for all of you. congratualtions.gif

Jordan

Yup, vet gave us special food to start her on at home. He told us to feed her 1/2 cup 5 times per day. Ditto everything else Jordan said too!

Edited by gretzky

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh I am so relieved that you have him back! I don't have any advice that's any different than what's been given, I just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you have him home again where he belongs.

I would bandage, simply because foot wounds are exposed to all manner of bacteria and it's hard to keep them clean. Neosporin ointment is a good topical antimicrobial and helps aid healing. You can then put gauze on the pads of his feet to cushion them and absorb any fluids, then put baby socks on to hold the gauze in place. Vetrap or medical tape will keep the socks from slipping off or being removed. He'll probably feel a lot better with some cushioning on those feet. Change the bandages daily and keep those wounds clean. Soaking in a warm bath with Epsom salts works well. It's antimicrobial and will draw out any junk hiding inside the wound.

You might also want to take him to the vet and have him examined. Depending on the extent of the wounds and how dirty they were, they may want to prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection, and may be able to give him something for the discomfort as well.

ETA: Don't mind me. Batmom had the exact same solution, only more succinct. :lol

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

i have always had great luck with Schreiners Herbal Solution - for myself, my hounds, and my horses. It cleared up a 3rd degree burn on my arm from steam in such record time that my own doctor didn't believe it. I never once used the silvodine ointment on it and you can't even see the scar!

I agree with teh baby booties or dog booties. Crate rest too - lots of crate rest!

Guest sparkhawk

I have a friend that was a vet tech for 17 years so I did not take him to the vet, but she gave him a very thorough check up. All came back OK except for weight, dehydration, paws, and a laceration on his side from getting hit by a car. He is slowly putting on weight(yep did the small meals. No diarrhea, messes in house, and no vomiting). He is hydrated better than he has been in the past(woohoo!!!!). The laceration is mostly healed so it would have to be reopened to be stitched. We decided to just let it finish healing. He will have a scar there but we think the stress is not worth having a smaller scar. As to the paws.... I will be using the Neosporin, and feminine napkins in the booty thing I think. I thank you for you concern and all your help!!!!

Maybe get an x-ray since he has a laceration from being hit by a car....you should make sure everything is ok internally too. Give your baby a hug and I hope everything heals nicely.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest tigerlily

if he was hit by a car he needs to be xrayed..please take him to the vet..i am surprised your friend didnt tell you to do that since they are a vet tech..

if he was hit by a car he needs to be xrayed..please take him to the vet..i am surprised your friend didnt tell you to do that since they are a vet tech..

:nod Always a good idea to xray if he's been hit by a car

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I have a friend that was a vet tech for 17 years so I did not take him to the vet, but she gave him a very thorough check up. All came back OK except for weight, dehydration, paws, and a laceration on his side from getting hit by a car. He is slowly putting on weight(yep did the small meals. No diarrhea, messes in house, and no vomiting). He is hydrated better than he has been in the past(woohoo!!!!). The laceration is mostly healed so it would have to be reopened to be stitched. We decided to just let it finish healing. He will have a scar there but we think the stress is not worth having a smaller scar. As to the paws.... I will be using the Neosporin, and feminine napkins in the booty thing I think. I thank you for you concern and all your help!!!!

Whoa! This went from some abraded pads to a dog who has been hit by a car! That is a whole different scenario. For that kind of trauma (if it was my dog) I wouldn't rely on a friend who is a vet tech to check him out, I would need to have my dog examined by a real vet. I doubt that anyone would suggest re-opening a wound to stitch it back closed, that would be kind of silly.

Please take your dog in for a well dog check at a vet.