Lotsa Changes, Now Shedding!

Guest IGmom4now

Guest IGmom4now

Well, I've had my boy Presto for 8 weeks today, and my life is nothing like it was before he joined the family ( not a bad thing, mostly). In the past week I've posted questions about itchy skin, boisterous behavior, excess vocalization...now shedding. In the past few days he's been shedding cup-fuls of dry, dead hair. I have one of those mitts with the rubber nibs, and I get clouds with every pass...

He's been getting major nutrition since he got here: RMBs twice a week; cooked chick and veggies; yogurt, brown rice and pumpkin; grizzly salmon oil; I'm currently feeding the IGs, the lab mix and Presto Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal...

I was really concerned about all the shedding until I noticed the fur left behind is lustrous, sleek and healthy-looking, like the rest of my gang. Is he shedding his kennel coat along with his "kennel self"? Is there something about 2 months that's a significant benchmark? Anyone who has had some similar experiences? Thanks in advance. I'll try to attach a pic, but it's from before the shedding....

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

He's blowing his kennel coat. It usually happens a little while after they leave racing or the adoption kennel. Nothing to be worried about, like you said, the new hair coming in is shiny and healthy. As far as the vocalizations and other changes, he's coming out of his shell and you're seeing the real pup! I always love watching all the changes they go through!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest IGmom4now

Thanks for the input. It's easy to be concerned about everything when it's a new adventure every day. Yesterday Presto had his first visit to Pet Smart with his lab mix pal. Then they shared a bit of vanilla bean ice cream from Coldstone Creamery. Presto was so tired from all this adventure, I had to bribe him with a piece of chicken to go outside at bedtime! :lol :lol

Guest grapecat

We thought Humphrey would never stop shedding - and it was accompanied with dandruff as well! But he did, and he is glossy and sleek (and dandruff free) now, 6 months in. Once the shedding stopped, all his bald patches grew in as well! Presto is very handsome!

Guest Oh_Greyt

Same thing is going on with Nina. We've had her since May, and she's been shedding like mad the past two weeks. If she's blowing her kennel coat, how long will it take? Her hair is EVERYWHERE!!!

Guest linnaete

I'm glad this thread is here! I came here to find out about the shedding and kennel coats. I've had Halo for around 2 months now and he's just been shedding like crazy! :)

Guest Grapehound

Raisin is shedding like crazy too and is now bare-bellied with a naked behind. She's also starting to lose some hair around her neck and throat. But I've had her a little over two months and her thyroid was normal last month, so I'm assuming it's just her kennel coat.

Why do they loose their kennel coat? Do they loose a coat if they have been in a house for a couple years and move to a new house....I'm not trying to be difficult :rolleyes: but I don't understand why they lose the kennel coat. :huh

Guest Mommydog

Wow! what a stunning boy you have there :wub: My two tend to go through phases throughout the summer, sometimes they hardly shed at all, yet within the space of a few weeks they can be shedding like fury.

Why do they loose their kennel coat? Do they loose a coat if they have been in a house for a couple years and move to a new house....I'm not trying to be difficult :rolleyes: but I don't understand why they lose the kennel coat. :huh

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine they grow a thicker coat in kennels as it's cooler than a home environment, hence losing the thicker coat when they move indoors.

Guest greyfiend

We adopted Filbert 9 weeks ago and he had been in a foster home for about 8 weeks before that. The day he came to our home I combed him with a rubber curry comb and I had enough fur to make a small kitten! Lots of flaky skin too and was oily. I took him that very day for a bath at a do-it-yourself dog wash place and afterwards he was just beautiful. I brush him for about 3-5 minutes daily and he hardly looses any more fur. I chalk it up to better nutrition. I also think that while in the racing kennels, Greyhound farms for breeding that no one really takes the time to groom them, so all that fur just sits there. Once a loving owner adopts, that's when we fuss and brush and see all that fur come off.

Greyfiend

Guest greytexplorer

Or maybe it's just the season?

A friend of mine got a foster gyrl back in January, and he has really been complaining for 2 weeks now about how bad her shedding is. I doubt that's her kennel coat that she is blowing.

Guest sweetpea

My sweetpea had the softest fluffiest kennel coat (when she came home in april), and you're right, about 2 months later it started wafting off her in buckets. I never asked why, I think I assumed it had something to do with the hormones she was on while racing (to keep her from coming in to heat). I miss her fluffy bottom, but the new coat is sleek and healthy, I suppose my hormone theory is bogus if the boy dogs go through the same thing.