Run Free Sweet Kerbey

Guest greytfulhounds

Guest greytfulhounds

This has taken many days to post.......I just emotionally could not sit down and string the words together.

My very good friend asked me to stay with her 4 hounds while she went on vacation for a week. She left this past Tuesday and is due back this Wednesday. My husband has been watching over our crew and I have been going between our two homes and sleeping at my friend's home each night.

Last weekend, before she left, my friend found a hard mass about the size of a peach underneath the right front leg of her Kerbey. The mass was actually on his chest but under the leg. Kerbey was 12 years old, would have been 13 years old yesterday. My friend got an emergency vet visit for Kerbey on Monday and the results were not good. Based on the x-rays the vet did not want to put him through a biopsy due to his age and he had already been declining with being able to get up & down and around. The vet & my friend opted for comfort care and started him on pain meds and medication to help with his breathing. The vet said when she looked at the films, the mass was so large, that it looked like he had 2 hearts and it was affecting his breathing.

He did not have a great night Monday night and my friend was flying out on Tuesday morning. My friend felt that he may not make the week she was due to be gone and left instructions should things go down hill........which they did. Tuesday night, Kerbey and I were up all night. His breathing was labored and he had a deep wheeze. He got up around 3:00 am to go out and then just paced & panted until he could finally lay back down on his bed around 4:00 am. He did not eat anything for breakfast but I did manage to get pain medication into him. I spoke with my friend first thing in the morning and with her blessing I helped him to the Bridge later that day. Thankfully, Kerbey was being seen by the vet that I use and she assured me that this was absolutely the right decision and that when she had seen him on Monday it did not look good.

I have been struggling with so many emtions this week. I just lost my Joanie a month ago and am still so raw, I am overwhelmingly sad that Kerbey went to the Bridge without his mom being there and I am overwhelmingly sad that my friend was so far away when her boy went to the Bridge. It is just all too sad and I am trying so hard to be okay with it all.

I did for Kerbey what I would have done for my own dogs. I held him and talked to him as he passed. I took him to Paws to Heaven the pet crematory and waited while they privately cremated him and I brought him back to his home.

R.I.P. sweet Kerbey (TM's Chartman).........we love you. :brokenheart

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Kerbey (far left)

janet1.jpg

Guest DorianGreyhound

Oh my god... I am so sorry you had to go through such a horrible thing for a dog not even your own. My thoughts with you, him, and his mom... how sad :( :(

As hard as it was, thank goodness there was someone with him who loved him when he went. I'm sure your friend will be eternally grateful to you, I know I would. You gave him the greatest gift possible, you let him pass with dignity and be pain free again. Bless you for what you did and my sympathies to you and to his mom.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

How sad for you and his mom. What a wonderful thing you were there to hold Kerbey and send him on his way with love. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest MorganKonaAlex

How comforting it must be for Kerbey's mom that someone Kerbey knew and cared for him was with him in the end. It was truly a gift you gave her. I was in a similar situation when one of mine went downhill very rapidly. I was not able to get home in time and had to have a caregiver take him to the Vet to be euthanized. It meant a lot to me that someone who cared about him was with him at the end.

I think you did a brave & noble gesture for both your friend & her faithful companion. Not many people would step up & do something so painful. There is a special place for you in heaven.

For you: :grouphug:f_red:grouphug

For Kerbey & his mistress:

:f_red:f_white:gh_lay:f_white:f_red

Edited by Snowy8

I am so sorry. :( Bless your heart for taking such good care of Kerbey and for being there with him when he needed you. :grouphug Run fast and free sweetheart...you are so loved. :f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest GreyFox

Sending hugs and warm thoughts. You did a beautiful thing for your friend and for Kerbey - the ultimate gift. I know it was hard, and is incredibly sad, especially when you're still grieving for Joanie. Take heart in knowing that you relieved Kerbey of his pain, lovingly and with dignity. I'm sure that meant everything to your friend.

God Bless.

Guest vahoundlover
I think you did a brave & noble gesture for both your friend & her faithful companion. Not many people would step up & do something so painful. There is a special place for you in heaven.

For you: :grouphug:f_red:grouphug

For Kerbey & his mistress:

:f_red:f_white:gh_lay:f_white:f_red

:nod

I know how hard this has been for you.... :cry1:grouphug:grouphug You are an amazing friend.

Run Free Kerby :f_red