Silver Sulfadiazine Cream

Guest luvtheseniors

Guest luvtheseniors

Hi All,

I have 2 questions below.

Has anyone used Silver Sulfadiazine Cream on any of your greys wounds?

I used this to heal a nasty web tear on one of my greys, and it worked within days of applying it to the wound.

My brother's grey had his tale amputated because of happy tail 2 weeks ago, and he won't leave the tail alone. He is wearing the cone around his head, and his kansal muzzle when my brother is not home, but sometimes he can still get to the tail. When my brother is home he tries to let it air dry to promote healing but as soon as he looks away or goes out of the room, Jerry(grey) starts linking his tail.

Do you think it would be ok to use the Silver Sulfadiazine Cream on the amputated tail, to help it heal?

Does anyone have any magic advise about how to make him stop wanting to lick the tail. The longer he lick his tale, the longer it will take to completely heal. ( Sorry that was 3 questions ;)

If I remember right, the cream has some pain reliever in it, along with something to help with the mild odor associated with sweat & being bandaged up ( per vet).

I've read some of the other post about this, but I thought I would post anyway ;)

Thanks so much

I have used it but only when I'm going to be bandaging. I wouldn't leave it on the tail while the tail is unbandaged, you don't want him licking it and you also don't want it getting all over your house as it will turn everything it touches gray.

If they are having a problem with him banging his tail on things still, PM me and I'll type up what we did with Ace's tail after hers was amputated.

Have they tried EMT gel on his tail? It won't keep him from licking it though.

The only thing I can think of to keep from licking is to take a basket turnout muzzle and put a stool cup in it, or use tape over the end of it so he can't lick through it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

That looks like some pretty strong stuff. I'd worry about the dog licking it.

silver s... cream

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I wouldn't want him eating a glob of it but if he happened to lick a little I doubt it'd hurt him. I LOVE the stuff but have always used it with bandages. If licking his tail is a big issue, might have to bandage. Judgement call. Sometimes it's better to keep their mouth off it, even if that means not letting so much air get to it. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That looks like some pretty strong stuff. I'd worry about the dog licking it.

silver s... cream

That IS strong stuff. My mother used to apply it to this giant oozing hemangioma on my little sister's leg when she was a baby. Combined with Interferon, it took about a 6 months for the majority of it to fall off & the wound to dry up.

Definitely use a bandage with it.

Never used on Payton but it was great when I had a blistering sunburn in college.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Works like a charm on the horses....it healed up a wound on the withers of a rescue horse at our farm whose blanket had to be surgically removed...the wounds was down to the bone. :angryfire Looking at him now you'd never know.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Used it on human wound patients, silver is am antimicrobial and really helps in healing. You really should keep it covered, a moist wound usually heals faster ... notice I said moist, not slimy, gunky. Clean the wound with normal saline, apply cream and cover. Probably needs to be cleaned at least once a day unless it's yucky. If you're using a guaze cover wet the gauze with the saline to remove it ... it will help cleanse the wound by lifting off wound debris when you lift the gauze to change it.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014