Dewey And Bordetella

Guest wrldruler

Guest wrldruler

My DW says that she read somewhere on the Dewey site (sorry can't find the link right now) that they recommend giving your dog a bordetella vaccine before going to Dewey.

I was curious if anyone agrees or disagrees with that advice.

Thanks,

Chris

If I were going and didn't have one within the last 6 months, I'd be getting one (for the dogs) 3-4 weeks prior. It's cheap, it's some protection, and it's a very safe vaccine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you take your dog to a monthly M&G, you should consider the vaccination as well.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

If I were going and didn't have one within the last 6 months, I'd be getting one (for the dogs) 3-4 weeks prior. It's cheap, it's some protection, and it's a very safe vaccine.

What she said. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I read the post on the Dewey message board earlier today and just wanted to clarify that the reason given for getting the bordatella vaccine is exposure to many, many dogs. It's nothing to do with Dewey Beach itself. So, yup - what everybody above me said. :) Better safe than sorry.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

ABSOLUTELY :nod you need to get it. I brought a foster dog into my home last year and thought she was ok. A few days later she began to cough, then a few days after that mine were all coughing. My six month old lab at the time almost died because of it. I wished that I had given everyone the bordetella $10 vaccine... I spent over $1000 to get everyone healthy again and could have avoided it all with just the $10 vaccine. I definately will keep up with the bordetella.....

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest crazy4greys

I always update my guys every year due to traveling to different greyhound events, foster dogs, going to Petco/Petsmart. It is a good idea. You don't know what other dogs may have that you come in contact with.

Guest greybookends
I always update my guys every year due to traveling to different greyhound events, foster dogs, going to Petco/Petsmart. It is a good idea. You don't know what other dogs may have that you come in contact with.

This is my reasoning for mine getting it every year.

Better safe than sorry.

My vet is not a huge believer in the vaccine as his guess is it works on about half the strains. There is an especially nasty strain plowing through Dallas and taking out vaccinated dogs right and left.

Not that my work is the be all and end all, but they recommend Bordatella every six months if there is nose to nose contact with another dog and I spend quite a bit of time squirting boosters up noses. It truly is a crapshoot but may give you some protection. Can't hurt and might help.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Tigonie

Emma has an appointment to go in next week for the bordetella vaccine and her 3-year rabies booster. The receptionist told me the bordetella vaccine only takes a week to take effect, but in the past I had heard 4 weeks. I figured earlier was better than later, since she's due anyway.

Edited by Tigonie

We have only done two events so far this year because of Mike's back surgery (had his 7th spinal fusion in May), whereas we usually to 10 to 12 shows a year. Plus, Andy's lumbar stenosis has gotten worse in the past year, so I don't take him to many M&Gs because he won't lay down and he gets all wobbly. Nevertheless, we have a lot of contact with other Greyhounds plus Ecstasy and Tribute still do M&Gs. For these reasons, I get bordatella immunizations for all three dogs twice a year (before Gettysburg and before Dewey), just to have some measure of protection. Like Pam said, it's pretty much a crap shoot because the strain changes so much and so quickly, but I feel better knowing that I did something to protect them. With two 12-year-olds, I worry that a bout of kennel cough could be more than either one of them could handle, plus then I'd have to assume the other two would come down with it as well.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.