In Memoriam - Tropicana Troy

Guest Naty

Registered Name: SS Tropic (95C, 52372)

Whelped: 09/20/1995

Retired: 07/30/1999

Crossed the Bridge: 08/22/2007

My husband and I made the heart-wrenching decision to let Troy go on August 22, 2007. On that same day, he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma on his left hind leg and neurological degeneration of the nerves on his right hind leg. His decline was swift. He started limping and losing his balance less than two weeks prior and his condition deteriorated quickly. Towards the end, the medications could barely manage his pain. In the middle of a distressed and painful night, we rushed him to Tufts Veterinary Hospital on what turned out to be the eve of his passing. In spite of valiantly conquering laryngeal paralysis with tieback surgery early this year, his once powerful hind quarters that propelled this poetry in motion could barely support his now feeble body. Never have I felt the strength of my bond with him more intensely than when faced with choosing to make the final act of love for him. His eyes told me that it was time.

He was our first greyt love, and now our first devastating loss. He adopted us two days after he retired from Lincoln Greyhound on July 30, 1999. We were looking to adopt a petite girl because we lived in a condo at that time. We ended up coming home with the biggest boy in the lot. This was a classic case of a hound choosing his people. Hence, began our new-found calling to provide him and later Erin with the best we could possibly offer. My stoic boy spent his retirement eagerly waiting for us to come home to him and Erin every day. Though reserved with other dogs, he was polite and pleasant with people and tolerant and gentle with children. While Erin could be adorably clueless, Troy was incredibly sensitive. His sole purpose for being was to be the protector of his sister and me. His simple pleasures were his daily walks, the car rides, chasing squirrels in the backyard and his gourmet kongs. His most treasured place on earth was his dog bed in the bedroom. His favorite time of the day was when we retire for the night - because his pack was together and complete.

He was never bigger than life, but he changed our lives. Boy, did he change mine. His quiet and humble legacy was that he converted two more people to be in an everlasting love affair with his breed. It was in his name that I came to know the ‘greyhound people’ - this zany cult of kindred souls. Whatever meager act that I did for the welfare of his brethren was because of the joy of loving him. Each rescue website picture taken, write-up written, letter sent, petition signed, donation given, vet trip made for his injured kin, lost flyer posted – were motivated simply because of what it meant to have him in our lives.

Troy spent his last moments in the hospital garden in my arms. As I cradled him, I told him that we loved him dearly and thanked him for being a blessing for eight glorious years. He defined us as a family and individually as hopefully better people. I told him that he was a very good boy and that he was special because he was mine. I gave him a final kiss and stroked him as his spirit peacefully soared. Our beloved boy, our beautiful and magnificent boy, whose loyalty and devotion so pure and perfect and unwavering, is gone.

He will never ever be forgotten.

post-10708-1188437650.jpg

Cycle of life: Troy shown with a young neighbor. He passed away on the same day his friend turned four.

I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful boy, Troy. Take comfort in knowing he is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am very sorry for your loss. I hope you soon find peace and comfort in your memories of Troy. Run fast and free Troy.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest bowiebears

Such a loving and deeply moving tribute to a very special grey!

We are all so blest by the presence in our lives of such love in the flesh!

One day we will all play together at The Bridge.

--isaac

Naty,

I am so very sorry for your profound loss. Your tribute to Troy was beautiful.

Run like the wind Troy, you are sadly missed.

:f_red:gh_runner:f_red

Hugs,

Carla

What a wonderful tribute.

Godspeed Troy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

What a wonderful beautiful boy. I am so very sorry. Watch over your mom sweetie.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest SoulsMom

Beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for you loss. Run free at the bridge sweet boy and send your family a sign soon

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest jeannejj

I am so sorry for your loss of Troy. It's hard to say goodbye to a cherished friend. I know how hard that final act of love is. May the beautiful memories stored in your heart bring you peace and comfort.

Run free, sweet Troy.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

I'm so sorry for your loss. Troy was a very fortunate boy to have such a wonderful caring family. Run free beautiful boy! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis