A New Star In The Heavens Tonight

Pippin

Here's the sequence of what went down this week, from an email I sent my co-workers yesterday (wed, 8/29). I didnt' post here while it was going on, because I'm at a client site and have been so busy I've been lucky to check my email, and almost no time to check message boards.

I took my dogs to the dog-sitter on sunday because of leaving for Charlotte on Monday. Monday morning, dee called and told me she had to take Angie to the vet. Angie's my oldest girl, the yellow one in the pictures on my desk. she's the first greyhound I ever adopted, and will be 15 on her birthday in October, if she lasts that long.

She's been at the vet since Monday morning, not eating, not able to walk on her own. There are 3 possibilities of what it could be. Brain tumor, stroke, or an illness called Idiopathic Vestibular Disease, that affects the inner ear and gives the dog severe vertigo. Think of it as having been sea-sick since Sunday night. That's what she's going through.

There are 2 ways to figure out what she has - do a CT scan, which would involve too much stress for an almost 15-yr old dog, plus they'd need to anesthetize her for that, and she might never wake up from it, or wait and see. The Vestibular thingy goes away on its own after 3-4 days, usually.

Doc called me yesterday morning and was thinking we would have to euthanise her. But we decided to watch and wait, in case it's the vestibular thing, and late afternoon yesterday, she was doing a little better, but still can't stand or walk on her own. They've given her IV fluids to keep her hydrated, and she drank a little water on her own, but they can't get her to eat.

At this point, she hasn't eaten since sunday morning, and if we don't get some food into her soon, her system will start shutting down on her.

I left my vet a voicemail this morning reminding her that I trust her implicitly, and whatever she thinks is best for my girl is what I'll do, but that if she decides that we do need to let her go (if she doesn't eat today, I think we'll have to), to not call me with that news until after 5, when my classes are done.

I've been holding it together pretty well, but for some reason all I can think this morning is that my girl's going to leave me, and I'm not there to say goodbye.

So if y'all could keep my dog (and me) in your prayers/thoughts, I would really appreciate it. I'm actually glad that I'm at a client site, because it keeps me busy all day. If I were home doing coach classes, I'd have too much time to think about how sick my girl is.

Before I went to work yesterday (wed), I spent about an hour in tears, convinced I was going to lose my girl. I told God that all I wanted was what was absolutely best for my Angie-girl, and I called my vet and left a voicemail that said the same thing. I told her that if we needed to let Angie go, all I asked was that she wait until after 5pm to tell me, so I could hold it together for my classes through the day.

We talked at 530, and Angie had lost all the progress she had made on Tuesday, and Doc said it was time. Doc & I have a long-standing agreement - when she says it's time, I say ok. She's my expert, and I trust her. So she called Angie's Aunt Dee for me, because I'm out of town and couldn't be there, and Dee was able to go immediately to the vet's office and keep my sweetie company.

This is as hard (harder?) on Dee as it is on me, and I am so grateful to have her in my life. Dee visited Angie at the vet every day, and she sent me an email yesterday that said she could see that Angie wanted us to let go. I didn't get the email until afterwards, but I was so grateful to read it, because it confirmed that we made the right decision.

I was blessed with the love a spectacular girl for 4 1/2 years, from the time she licked my chin that first time we met, choosing me to be her mama, to the last time I saw her, Monday afternoon, pushing herself to stand up for me so that I would feel ok about leaving town while she wasn't well.

I think my stubborn girl needed me to be gone in order for her to let go, if that makes any sense?

I have always promised my kids that when it's time, I'll let them go. And I'll always honor that promise. I just wish I could have been there.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. :weep I hope that the special memories you have of your baby will bring you comfort in the days ahead.

Carol Ann

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I am so sorry. Godspeed beautiful Angel...My prayers and sympathy are with you. :grouphug:f_pink:f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest meandmygreys
I've asked that her suzy award pj's be donated to another deserving senior, since I never got her measurements taken.

my heart is breaking

21220874.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss. Can I make a donation somewhere in her memory.

Run free Sweetheart.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

I've asked that her suzy award pj's be donated to another deserving senior, since I never got her measurements taken.

my heart is breaking

21220874.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss. Can I make a donation somewhere in her memory.

Run free Sweetheart.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Thanks for offering.

Please send a donation to Greyt Friends. That's the group that trusted me with the best greyhound friend a gal could ever have.

Their website is http://www.greytfriends.org

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Angie came into my life when I went to Dee's house to adopt a black retired broodmama. As Dee was introducing me to the other dogs, she said "This one's Angela." Angie got off her dog-bed and walked over to me. I knelt down, and she looked deep into my eyes. Then she licked my chin, and went back to her dog-bed where she stayed the rest of the time I was there.

I met the dog that I had gone to adopt, and she was wonderful, but she wasn't the one for me. I had already been chosen. Angie chose me when she licked my chin.

Because she chose me,

I have experienced the adaptability of an "old" dog as she learned new tricks.

Because she chose me,

I have learned how much love I can feel for another being.

Because she chose me,

I have experienced the joy of her behavior changing over the years

from aloof to affectionate.

Because she loved me,

she adapted to unstructured routines and routine absences.

Because she loved me,

she accepted the other dogs I brought into our home,

and let them share the space in my heart.

Because I loved her,

there were new beds at Christmas, and no walks longer than her aging legs could handle.

Because I loved her,

there were nights spent on the couch with interruptions every few hours.

Because I loved her,

there were home-cooked meals and special treats, and fewer nights away from home.

Because she loved me,

she stood up for me, balancing on tired legs to show me she was ok

and I could leave on my business trip with a clear conscience.

Because I loved her, I let her go.

My heart is breaking

because I couldn't be there at the end, but it was time to let go,

and I had promised her I would,

because I loved her.

And because I loved her and she loved me,

she will run forever in my heart,

Because she chose me.

-mvy 9/1/07-