Sick Girl

Guest greytloves

Guest greytloves

Here I am sitting at work worried about my girl and counting the 2 hours until my DH gets home to be with her...........

Starting Saturday evening she started to have the Big D. Did not think too much of it as she has been a grazer of poop when I don't get to it first and has had this before. However, Sunday it happened again, this time waking me up 4 times in the night to urgently go. Monday, two times in the night. Gave her some Immodium, she still was eating and drinking and acting like her old self. Ditto for Tuesday night. So this morning I gather some of the liquid poo and take it to my vet when they open. They look at it, see no parasites but do see it has some Red Blood Cells. Gave me some Diawon? sp. to give her 3 x's a day for next 2 days. I'll get a bland diet cooked up tonight.

Here is the thing, I have been reading about Colitis/ IBS /Enteritis all of those things to see if we could have something like that. She is 6 years old, I have had her for 4 of those years. Never has she had any type of problem before. Never had any health issues or allergies, sensitivities or anything. Nor have we changed anything in our schedule or food. She also had not gotten into anything. Is it common for Colities/ IBS to just appear out of the blue?

Guest charmsmom

Has anything in your life situation changed? New baby, new house, new schedule, new visitors?? I know stress can make people sick sometimes.

Guest SoulsMom

Archie (non grey) just "got" colitis one day. But he's eleven. There was nothing to bring it on, and he still has a bout every so often. If the poos are frequent and with a lot of mucus, that is a sign it could be colitis.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest greytloves

Nothing at all new. Same old, same old. She has always been an antsy girl, so I would not be surprised if something bothered her, it just never has before.

How much Immodium did you give?

Dusty just got over another bout of diarrhea. I gave him one immodium AD twice a day. That didn't seem to help him at all so the vet prescribed Flagyl which stopped the diarrhea by the second day. I think Flagyl is the same as Metronidazole but I'm not sure.

One of my bichons developed colitis when she was about 8. No signs before the first episode.

Guest greytloves

No storms....she actually likes them!

Now, my boy is having it. Its about 5 days later. Lucy was put on some horrible medicine Friday that must taste really bad, it is begining to firm up her runs. Doc said it takes the water out of the colon.

Now with Sug having the same symptoms, I am thinking it must be a virus.

Which leads to me reopening this thread, with a virus do you withhold food for a day?

Both of them have an appetite, drinking normally, acting normally, no redness, no tenderness. I am feeding brown rice, well cooked vension, mashed potatoe and pumpkin.

Boy, I love my two so much, they wake me up every time they have to go. Bless their hearts, no accidents. Who could ask for anything better?

I think Flagyl is the same as Metronidazole but I'm not sure.

Yes, Flagyl is a brand name for Metronidazole. It's probably the most common antibiotic used for diarreah/Giardia.

greytloves, this could well just be a bug that is going around in your area. I know there has been quite a lot of this in the midwest in the last couple months.

My approach is to assume the simple bug before being too concerned about an IBD. If antibiotics don't get things back under control then look for other possibilities. A bland diet for a couple days will help - boiled hamburger and rice or something like you are doing. (You have to watch the pumpkin though, as it will sometimes have the opposite effect.) Then you can re-introduce the kibble over a day or so.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest greytloves

Yep, I am thinking its a bug. Not the parasite kind, just a plain old stomach bug. Wasn't sure when it was just her, but now with another one? sounds to viral to me!

Thanks everyone!