Swollen Foot/lower Leg?

Guest MacyandBart

Guest MacyandBart

Hi there! We took our dear Bart to the vet yesterday because his foot/lower part of his back right leg is really swollen. He limps on it like a person would limp on a sprained ankle. The vet felt around and said it probably wasn't a sprain, did xrays, looked for bug bites and any other sign of injury (ie stepping on a sharp object) to no avail...they could not find anything wrong. THey are testing him for lyme's disease to see if that's the cause. My fiance and I are new greyhound adopters so would like to know if greyhounds have recurrent foot problems? Is there something we should suggest to the vet? Are there any suggestions for us? We have him on anti-imflammatory and anti-biotics and apply/massage warm compresses now. Any help is appreciated!

Back right....does he have a history of a broken hock?

Has he been out running around? He certainly could have sprained something. Remember, when a greyhound accelerates, it's pure force. He may have hyperextended.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest MacyandBart
Back right....does he have a history of a broken hock?

Has he been out running around? He certainly could have sprained something. Remember, when a greyhound accelerates, it's pure force. He may have hyperextended.

I'm not sure about the broken hock. I will contact his old kennel to find out...it did not indicate that in any of his adoption papers. He ran around two weeks ago and ripped up his pads pretty bad. After we consulted our vet, we kept the pads clean with hydrogen peroxide, applied neosporin and kept doggie booties on when he went outside. The pads have appeared to have healed, so I believe this is a separate problem.

Guest MacyandBart
Did they check the Xrays really well for possible bone cancer? (I hate to even mention that)

:( I'm not sure. However, they ARE sending to their radiologist to examine the xrays further.