New Grey Obviously Got To The Trash

Guest coaster

Guest coaster

We've had our new boy for maybe 6 weeks now - he's doing great on his raw diet and stopped chewing things up after the first week or two. Or so I thought. He just barfed up some plastic from a ziplock bag and some tinfoil, which he got out of the trash, although I didn't see him take them. This weekend, my daughter mentioned something about him being able to get in the trash (ours is in a pull-out drawer). Could it have been sitting in his stomach that long? Should I take him to the vet? Feed him some bread? What?

Edited by coaster

I would take him to the vet. Call and tell them what you've posted and see what they say. I think foil could cause some problems, even if it does pass.

See if his stomach seems hard. Also, has he had a BM lately? Can you check his stools to look for foreign objects?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

It sure won't hurt to run the issue by the vet but don't panic. Amazing things can pass through dogs without doing any lasting damage. My little dachshund (12 lbs) got some tin foil out of the garbage and ate it. The first I knew about the raid was when I noticed lovely sparkly poop. <_< She had no bad effects from that garbage raid. It had a really hard time finding a way to keep her out of the garbage--she was a smart and determined girl-- but I tried until I succeeded. Hope your pup weathers this with no problems.

Lucy and Piper (whose particular passion is eating paper products like paper towels and kleenex--used :sick and unused)

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest couchpotato

If for no other reason than peace of mind take him to the vet. I think it depends on the dog really.

Our Jazzy has gotten into countless items in the early years... there was the half pound of raw bacon, the garbage several times, the bag of hot dog buns (yes bag and all, pretty much came out the way it when in), pulled the crock pot off the stove once (was not hot), and the pecan pie, that one was intense, looked like some one had slaughtered a pig in my kitchen. He had jumped over the baby gate, got to the counter and pulled the (glass) pie plate off the counter and proceeded to start licking it up. half my kitchen floor was covered in broken glass and bloody pie, even with his cut paws and cut on his tongue he still managed to appear very proud and happy with himself when I walked in the door only to see him on the wrong side of the gate. But I digress... Most of that happened between ages 3-4, he is now 11 and shows no ill effect from all the trouble he has gotten into. Amazes me every time I think about it.

I'd give your vet a call and see what he/she recommends. *Usually* eating foreign objects (except things that are poisonous) is a watch-and-wait sort of thing, but your vet will probably have some questions about just what might have been eaten, pee, poop, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest coaster

Thanks for all the good advice. I called the vets' office and was told to watch for signs of not feeling well and diarrhea, and to feed him small meals. All seems well.

Edited by coaster