With Bodie, It's Always A Mixed Report

Guest Bodie

With Bodie, there always seems to be a mixed report - nothing every turns out perfectly. He had most of his stitches taken out Monday night. The vet left three in where he still has some scabbing at the place that's been slowest to heal- where the skin was pulled together and sewn after his skin died. To remove those stitches would have meant pulling off the scab, which in Bodie's case does not seem like a good idea. He seems a lot more comfortable now - a lot less shrieking - and I was so proud of him last night. I put the sling on and let him walk up the stairs, for the first time, to the bedroom. He didn't have a single problem. Same thing this morning when he went down. He went down like a pro. He really wouldn't have needed the sling at all. And he slept better than he has for a long time now that he was back up in the bedroom.

Today, his skin cultures came back. He does have an infection at the area below his stitches that is slightly inflammed. It is a methicillin resistant staph infection - one that his current antibiotic doesn't kill. So he has to go on yet another antibiotic. Bodie has so many pills that it almost takes a chart to keep them straight - antiobiotics, pain pills, Pepcid AC, so he doesn't get an upset tummy from all the pills... I almost need a map. I thought, uh,oh, there goes chemo, but my local vet confered with his OSU vet and they decided he could start chemo on Friday, provided he starts his new antibiotic tonight. Yippee! But...

Then I got a call that my 88 year old father, who is normally healthy as a horse (he golfs 18 holes a week, bicycles 2 miles a day, walks a mile and a half when he isn't bicycling, ballroom dances), was in the emergency room for extremely low blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat. I visited him tonight and he is up to form - flirting with all the nurses - but his blood pressure is still abnormally low and the heartbeat is still irregular, so they are keeping him in the hospital. He says go to Ohio, no problem, but if he takes a turn for the worse, or needs surgery, I don't want to be in another state, so... bottom line is that we hope to take Bodie to OSU on Friday if my father continues to do well. Can anything else go wrong? ...

Actually, it could, so I won't even think about that. But on a positive note, Bodie's spirits really picked up at being allowed to sleep upstairs last night, and the shrieking while eating is down to one or two shrieks a meal. I think they may even be pre-emptive shrieks. He always has been one to operate under the theory that it is better to holler before you are hurt - it's too late afterwards...

So, I'm going to think positive thoughts and hope we can Bodie to Ohio on Friday to begin his chemo and kill all those remaining nasty little cancer cells.

Edited by Bodie

positive thoughts for you all. Prayers for you, Brodie and your dad. How much stress should be allowed. Sending hugs for all!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Sending positive thoughts for Bodie to go to OSU Friday, and that your Dad feels better also. With all the exercise your Dad gets he may have been dehydrated, which can cause the symptoms of low blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat, so try not to worry. (I know, easier said then done). Sending prayers. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest WarmheartedPups

Oh my gosh....you've got way to much going on. I hope Bodie settles in and feels better..

I sure know what you mean about the "pre emptive shrieks" ....Otis is a Pre Emptive Shrieker.....

Good luck to your family......your dad....and Bodie. My thoughts are with you.

Guest PiagetsMom

And, I just think I have too much on my plate to be stressed over :eek

First, hope your dad's okay - a trip to the ER is always a scary thing. Glad to hear that Bodie's spirits are up and that most of the stitches are out and he's got the okay to move forward with the chemo......hopefully the new meds will knock out the infection. Sending good thoughts that all works out for you, your dad's back on the golf course, and Bodie's on his way to OSU on Friday :grouphug

Guest LolasMom

Positive thoughts that dad stays stable and gets stronger and that Bodie continues to kick that infection and begins his treatments on Friday.

I'm so glad that Bodie's navigating the stairs so well and can just imagine how good it must be for him to be with you again at bed time. :nappy

"Preemptive shrieks" are a favorite at our house as well! :blush

Sending you my good thoughts and best wishes for Bodie and your Dad

He always has been one to operate under the theory that it is better to holler before you are hurt - it's too late afterwards...

That's typical Greyhound logic! :lol

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest greytmonty

I am sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he stabilizes and feels better soon.

I am glad Mr. Bodie is more mobile and in less pain, but the infection is still a big problem... I hope you can get to OSU soon, depending on your dad's health.

Best wishes from Monty and me in Philly! :cookie

Guest zippsmum

We had a preemptive shrieker with our bridge boy.....always thought that it would be better to let you know that it might hurt beforehand.

:grouphug to you and Bodie and your Dad.....here's to being back on the dance floor and the golf course asap. Bodie......hope that all goes well and that you are on your way to OSU on Friday.

How great to hear that Bodie is doing so much better without those stitches! To get to sleep with his family and show you that he can climb stairs like a champ, and eat without screaming! Awesome.

Do hope that it is nothing with your dad so that he gets home all safe and sound and you can have less stress and concern on your plate.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Sending my prayers and hugs to all of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.