Limp, Hope A Strain, What To Give?

Guest chigal950

Guest chigal950

Caden started limping yesterday, its the right front 'wrist' Will take him in for XRay if it doesn't clear up pretty quickly (we're an osteo-experienced family) but assuming its a strain, what would you give? It is warmer than the other joint which is a concern but I want to give it a few days before panic sets in.

1/2 aspirin I know is safe but didn't know if others have used ibuprofen, etc for strains.

Thanks,

Dawn

Edited by chigal950

I would not give anything since I wouldn't want to mask the symptoms prior to the vet seeing him. I go by the 3 day rule on limping. Sending good thoughts for Caden. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Tenderhearts

I keep Ascriptin on hand here for sprains. Even though it is coated, I still give it with a little food like a piece of bread.

I don't know how much Caden weighs, but Lori Ann would get 2 of the Ascriptin (325 mg) for pain every 12 hours at 75 pounds of weight for a sprain/pulled muscle.

Guest chigal950

Bread, 1 asprin, more bread, pill down. I'll just do one tonight and again in the AM, 2 if needed. He's about 80 lbs.

BTW that good advice about 'masking' but think I want to try this for another day or 2. If still limping off the meds then in he goes.

Thanks you gusy.

Guest chigal950

Hi all,

Thanks for your supportive thoughts.

Went to the vet today. After an extensive physical exam he didn't find anything amiss. I pushed and had the XRays taken. If nothing else, we'd have a baseline XRay. And...no sign of the Big C. :) Hopefully Caden's limp resolves soon. There is a spot of mineralization on the shoulder, probably a calcified tendon, nothing to worry about.

To share - the vet says that since we gave Caden aspirin there is a 2-week waiting period to try a non-steriodal anti inflammatory such as Rimadyl. So he just prescribed Tramadol for now for pain and come back in 2 weeks if the limp doesn't resolve by then.

That's it! No news in this case is good news.

Edited by chigal950

Guest Tenderhearts

Well glad there was nothing bad on the xrays, and praying that the limp goes away for your sweet boy! Thank you so much for the update! :grouphug

Glad nothing showed on the x-ray. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest minzenon

Wrap the wrist in a bandage that has been soaked in epsom salts and warm water. Soak bandage for as long as possbile (overnight is good) Repeat 2-3 times daily with changing bandages. If you can soak a cotton wad in the solution as well and fill up the stopper tendon area ( the hole area at the back of the wrist) then wrap the bandage around.