Softee Is Sick

Sunday about 6 pm Softee started walking like a drunken sailor, she did not seem to be in any pain. She would not eat and drank very little water but she was going to potty. We decided to watch her and take her to our Vet on Monday. She had a complete examination had no temperature. The vet checked her reflexes and found most to be normal except for the movement to and fro with both head and eyes. She gave us the diagnosis of either inflamation/infection of central nervous system or inner ear. She also stated that at her age it could be cancer.

She gave her an injection of Azium, and put her on Baytril 136 mg 1/2 tab 2xday until done and Prednisolone 20 mg 1/2 tab 2xday for 3 days then 1/2 tab once day for 3 days to call and let her know how she is and then 1/2 tab every other day if we have progress.

Managed to get a slice of bread in her to give her her meds. She also told me that Fish Oil is an anti inflamatory

Softee celebrated her 14th. Birthday on August 2 & 3

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

If you do a search on here for vestibular disorder you'll find that it often starts with the dog walking like they are drunk. Just something to consider but not be alarmed about.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest wmlcml6

Mary ("Pippin") had her 15 yr old Angie at the vet's office this morning with what sounds like the same symptoms. Her vet also suggests vestibular disease. Here is a link we found that explains it.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

And another (I know the link says cats, but it's about canines, too).

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/contents/co...08&cat=cats

Prayers for Softee. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest twilliams

My daughter's kitty had very similar symptoms. She was told that her kitty (Boo Man) either had an inner ear problem or had vestibular disorder. The vet put Boo on antibiotics (in case of inner ear infection) and said that if it is vestibular he should show improvement within 3 days or so. Boo got a little better each day and after about a week was much better. That was months ago. He is now doing good. Good Luck!

Edited by twilliams

Softee is showing some improvement with her walking still a little wobbly. She is still not eating and would not eat this am for her Dad so to give her pill he gave her a slice of bread. When I came home from work got about 1/2 cup canned food in her. Going to try her on human food later Porky Balls which is ground meat, rice, eggs and bread crumbs made into balls and cooked in a tomato sauce with cut up green peppers. If she will eat human food guess that will have to do until she gets better

Guest greytexplorer
Softee is showing some improvement with her walking still a little wobbly. She is still not eating and would not eat this am for her Dad so to give her pill he gave her a slice of bread. When I came home from work got about 1/2 cup canned food in her. Going to try her on human food later Porky Balls which is ground meat, rice, eggs and bread crumbs made into balls and cooked in a tomato sauce with cut up green peppers. If she will eat human food guess that will have to do until she gets better

hey, I'd like that recipe! could you be more specific with quantity of each ingredient?

thnx!

Do you make stuffed cabbage it is the same. I was taught to cook via sight so I will try and give you a good idea of what to do.

1 # beef

1/2 cup raw rice

1 egg

enough bread crumbs so that you can mold into balls (we make them about the size of walnuts as they swell)

1 green pepper sliced seeds removed

1 onion (med) sliced (can also add chopped onion to meat mixture)

1 large can of tomato sauce

Put sauce and fill can up with water in a large pot add meat balls, onion and green pepper. Add enough water to cover. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover I usually let whom ever is eating it salt and pepper. Put on stove and bring to a boil lower heat and simmer until rice is done. Can also be done in over just keep an eye on it so it does not dry out.

Expierment with canned tomatoes and even tomato soup

Do you make stuffed cabbage or stuffed peppers it is the same. I was taught to cook via sight so I will try and give you a good idea of what to do.

1 # beef

1/2 cup raw rice

1 egg

enough bread crumbs so that you can mold into balls (we make them about the size of walnuts as they swell)

1 green pepper sliced seeds removed

1 onion (med) sliced (can also add chopped onion to meat mixture)

1 large can of tomato sauce

Put sauce and can of water in a large pot add meat balls, onion and green pepper. Add enough water to cover. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover I usually let whom ever is eating it salt and pepper. Put on stove and bring to a boil lower heat and simmer until rice is done. Can also be done in oven just keep an eye on it so it does not dry out. Can also be make in crock pot/slow cooker.

Expierment with canned tomatoes and even tomato soup

I forgot to tell you - I have added to both my meat mixture and sauce -parsley flakes, celery flakes and chives. Another thing I have done is used Italian bread crumbs to the meat. Also remember rice absorbs fluid so keep an eye on your Porky balls while they are cooking. Adding water does not hurt it. Keep the meat balls covered with fluid.

She ate her Porky Balls (an adult size serving) and a heaping tablespoon of mashed potatoes. I am going to make the fat balls for her tomorrow as I have to buy the fatty hamburger. At least she is not staggering as bad as she was on Sunday & Monday. Her back end seems to be in sync with her front...

She ate some canned dog food last night about 1 cup still won't touch any dry who care as long as she eats. Got her meds in without bread. Tomorrow she will only have her Pred once a day. She is walking much better and I did notice a little bounce when she was out last night.

Sounding better--keep it up!

Ate about another cup of canned for breakfast got the pills down. Still wobbly but walking much better. No problem going in and out of the house like before

Sorry I have not posted things have been hectic here. Softee has marked improvement in her walking and she is wobbly which I think might be age. she has not been eating a lot but we have made her liver brownies which she is sharing with her nephew and house mates. Mom and Dad have declined the offer. Made her fat balls but when my vet found out that they had raw eggs almost had a heart attack said that there was bacteria in the eggs that is harmful. We put all the fat balls in the oven when we came home and baked them. Her Pred has been reduced to 1/2 tab every other day. She is giving us problems eating and I am doing everything to try and get her weight back on. She is even doing a trot before she dumps and has not lost her footing.