Laser Therapy

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

I am taking Munchie for laser and physical therapy for the arthritis around her spinal fracture. There is a new physical therapist at another vet hospital about 40 minutes away, they just got the laser last week, but have had amazing results. I have done some online research, and it does seem to work wonders. Anyone had this done??

Munchie is so young and has so much to offer (she just got registered as a therapy dog) that I want to do whatever I can for her, and before the arthritis progesses.

Guest LittleGreys

Nobody?? Munchie is the first Greyhound to try this? I guess I'll report back on how it goes, it sounds really promising, and its not very expensive, either.

The clinic where I used to work has had a laser for over 5 years. In my experience, it does help, sometimes quite a bit. When used in conjunction with therapies like acupuncture and/or chiropractic, the results can be startling!

Lynn

I've used laser therapy several times, for both arthritis and pain, with very good results. Am saving up $4K to buy a really good quality laser, so I don't have to borrow my friend's. Wish my vet had one! :rolleyes:

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest minzenon

I have used lasers when i had the racing dogs. Quite a lot of trainers over here have them. What also works extremely well is a magnetic blanket, or the outside kennel magnetic machine.

The lasers dont cost $4k here so maybe iluvgreys should think of importing one from Australia. Plus the exchange rate works in your favour.

Never heard of it--does anyone have a link to a description?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest sheila

Not sure if it's the same thing but my aunt and uncle have a machine called a beam ray machine that is hooked up to a computer program. You basically program the machine for various illnesses or conditions and lay under it. She felt it helped her with her thyroid conditions.

She noticed that their elderly arthritic golden would seem to gravitate to the machine when she was using it and try to lay close to it. She programed it for arthritus and the dog would walk over to it and lay there until the cycle was done. She and my uncle thought if nothing else the dog seemed to find some comfort from it.

Here is a link to one site that mentions the Beam Ray

http://www.crossoverroad.com/beamray.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LittleGreys

Just thought I would post an update on this for those who might be interested.... Today was Munchie's 5th treatment. She is doing SO much better. We had one setback, after her 2nd treatment, she felt too good, we took her for a walk (like usual), she swam (more than usual) and then after we were home, she and our other Grey ran at breakneck speed doing zoomies around the backyard, and she hurt herself. Took a few days of rest and pain meds, then she was back to normal. She is much happier, has a spring back in her step, and has had NO pain meds for over a week now. There is an initial "package" at the clinic where I take her, it is 5 treatments, after that we can go as needed. The worst dog they are treating right now is 3 weeks out from the last treatment, so even if we only have to go once a month, I think that will be great!

Munchie has started her therapy dog work, visiting nursing homes and is greyt at it. I am so glad we could find something to make her feel better so she can continue to help people feel better!!

So glad to hear that Munchie is feeling much better! The laser I used on my hounds was the Excaliber, but would like to buy a Q1000 laser.

Never heard of it--does anyone have a link to a description?

Here's some info: http://www.solitonlasers.com/index.cfm

http://www.ioncleansesite.com/excalibur4.htm

http://quantum-healing-lasers.com/

minzenon, do you have any recommended brands/links for a laser from Australia? I'd much rather find one more reasonably priced! :rolleyes:

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

In the new Care of the Retired and Racing Greyhound book there is a section on using laser treatments on pages 212 - 213.

Carol Ann

P.S. The dog on page 213 is my boy Riley. We were volunteering at the NAVC last January and they borrowed him for the photo!

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Winslow had the laser therapy at the vet clinic where he went. When the tech or vet left, Glynis contacted the company and purchased the smaller version of the machine and was taught how to use it. It seems to work well on him :)

Glynis is supposed to email me the contact information.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits